Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Camilla will be Queen
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

4g01o

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:10 pm
number wrote:
The queen could very well outlive Camilla

That's not very likely at all.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:12 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
But they weren’t a couple at the time, right? He was still married to Diana, though their marriage was on the rocks from the start.
I was under the impression that if someone got divorced, they couldn’t be king/queen, but maybe I’m wrong?

Clearly that is not the case.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:31 pm
Fab4 wrote:
That's not very likely at all.

Elizabeth is 95. Charles is 73. While it is likely that Charles will survive his mother, at their respective ages, its far from guaranteed.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:37 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Elizabeth is 95. Charles is 73. While it is likely that Charles will survive his mother, at their respective ages, its far from guaranteed.

She's already outlived most of her generation. I hope she doesn't outlive her next generation. My grandmother is the same age, and has buried her oldest daughter. It's not fun. Hopefully Charles has the same genes for longevity as his mother and grandmother.

miami85

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:40 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
she'll be queen Consort. Not queen. it's very different.

Technically yes, as would any wife-of-the-king. There was some sort of controversy whether or not she would have the full title of "Queen Consort" given that she was married previously, and is not the mother of the next king in line. I forget what the title is but it was not going to be Queen Consort. What is the "news" here is that Queen Elizabeth bestowed the right of Camilla having the full title and privilege of having the title of Queen Consort despite all the controversy surrounding Diana and the divorces (of both her and Charles) etc.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 12:45 pm
Its not just the title. As Queen consort she is crowned and a anointed together with her husband. If she had any other rank, she wouldn't be part if that ceremony, and would always be of a lesser standing.

It also cements her place in the Royal Family should she outlive Charles.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:03 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Its not just the title. As Queen consort she is crowned and a anointed together with her husband. If she had any other rank, she wouldn't be part if that ceremony, and would always be of a lesser standing.

It also cements her place in the Royal Family should she outlive Charles.

What is her place if she outlived him?

ecs

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:03 pm
Was Phillip King Consort?

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:05 pm
ecs wrote:

No, he was Prince Philip.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:08 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

I don't know how it will play out in practice, but she will retain the title of Queen.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:08 pm
What I can't wrap my head around is that if Charles will become king in the next few years, he will literally be three times the age his mother was when she was crowned, and will reign for a very limited amount of time (even if it's 20 years compared to his mom's 70).

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:09 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I don't know how it will play out in practice, but she will retain the title of Queen.

Right, she couldn't quite be called Queen Mother could she, as she isn't mother to the heir?

Elfrida

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:10 pm
ecs wrote:

There's no such title. King automatically outranks Queen, and no one can outrank the monarch.

At the coronation she created him Prince of the British Isles with all the ranks a d privileges thereof.

Last edited by Elfrida on Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

ecs

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:11 pm
[quote="Ema of 4"]No, he was Prince Philip.[/quote

So what's different now? is it because they have no children together so her position is more tenuous?

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:14 pm
Husband of a Queen is "Prince Consort" as nobody can outrank the monarch.
Wife of a King is "Queen Consort".

There used to be a law that a King can't marry a divorcee (which is why King Edward VIII had to abdicate). But that law was overturned a few years before Prince Charles married Camilla, so he can be King, and she can be Queen Consort. She would have been "Princess Consort" out of respect for Diana, but I guess that's out the window now.

ETA: I'm American, but I'm fascinated by the royal family and British history.

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:17 pm
Well, at least -we- (married British/USA) have a glorious history of royals, the Americans only have the Kardashians. I love our Queen Maxima of the Netherlands.

ecs

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:18 pm
Thanks for explaining! I learned something today!

keym

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:18 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:

Queen Dowager

DrMom

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:19 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
But they weren’t a couple at the time, right? He was still married to Diana, though their marriage was on the rocks from the start.
I was under the impression that if someone got divorced, they couldn’t be king/queen, but maybe I’m wrong?

I honestly don't see why the British Monarchy, of all institutions, should be so scandalized about divorce.

The entire impetus for the formation of the Anglican Church -- of which the British Monarch is the head -- was King Henry VIII's desire to divorce Catherine of Aragon and marry Anne Boleyn. So how could anybody in the British monarchy make such a stink about divorce? If they have such a problem with divorce, why didn't they just stay Catholic?

keym

Post Mon, Feb 07 2022, 1:24 pm
DrMom wrote:
I honestly don't see why the British Monarchy, of all institutions, should make an issue about divorce.

The entire impetus for the formation of the Anglican Church -- of which the British Monarch is the head -- was King Henry VIII's desire to divorce Catherine of Aragon and marry Anne Boleyn. So how could anybody in the British monarchy make such a stink about divorce? If they have such a problem with divorce, why didn't they just stay Catholic?

The Anglican Church post 1700s allowed divorce but only kinda and didn't allow divorced people to get married in church.
The problem is not so much divorcing as much as marrying a divorced person.
Even in 2004, Charles and Camilla had a "blessing" or something and not a proper wedding.
The queen always said for years that it conflicted with her position legally as Head of Church of England. Or something.
Charles divorcing Diane wasn't a problem.
But marrying a divorcee was considered a problem until very recently.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics