Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What time do your kids go to bed
Previous  1  2  3

lovecouches

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:37 am
3 yr old goes to sleep usually between 9-10 pm. Wakes up after 8 usually and naps during the day but not usually for long. And on shabbos there are times that he can sleep until almost 10. This works for us because we all only get home after 4 and I want to spend solid amount of time with my kid. We are working on making bedtime closer to 845. I can't drop the nap totally yet cuz the daycare insists on it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:48 am
Am I the only one whose kids need to be up between 6 and 7?

My 12 and 15 yr old start at 7:15
The rest start at 8:00

amother
Holly

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 5:04 am
2 and 5 year old to bed between 630 and 7pm, 7 year old at 730pm, 8 year old at 8/830pm but often falls asleep later than that (he doesn't like sleeping..). Everyone gets up between 630 and 7am because I wake them up at that time.

amother
Fern

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:26 am
amother [ IndianRed ] wrote:
Well, luckily he can’t read a clock yet so as long as he gets enough sleep he’s happy.

The later schedule works for us for a couple of reasons. One, my husband doesn’t get home from work until 7 and we like to have a sit down dinner as a family. Also, my three year old really needs a nap still, but he doesn’t get home from playgroup until 1pm. It seems like there’s this idea that children must go to bed and wake up early, but I’m not sure where it comes from and it wouldn’t work for our family.

Exactly!! I 100% agree with you if I have no where to be in the morning why can’t my baby wake up at 8:30-9 and go to sleep then as long as he wakes up rested what’s the big deal
Everyone thinks that kids have to go to sleep early which doesn’t work for everyone and In my mind putting your kids to bed at 5:30 is ridiculous

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 6:26 am
mha3484 wrote:
I aim for 7:30 for My 3/5/7 year olds. Its not always exact but close enough. They wake up around 6:30-7am.

Same

devorah1231

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 9:57 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Am I the only one whose kids need to be up between 6 and 7?

My 12 and 15 yr old start at 7:15
The rest start at 8:00

Woah where do you live??? My kids start at 9, and my toddler even later. I know boys who need to be at minyan start earlier, but not that early.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 9:59 am
amother [ Fern ] wrote:
Exactly!! I 100% agree with you if I have no where to be in the morning why can’t my baby wake up at 8:30-9 and go to sleep then as long as he wakes up rested what’s the big deal
Everyone thinks that kids have to go to sleep early which doesn’t work for everyone and In my mind putting your kids to bed at 5:30 is ridiculous

This! I get a lot of flack for putting my little kids to bed at 8 - which isn't even that late. Never understood why anyone would want their kids up early in the morning.

amother
Sand

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 10:17 am
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
This! I get a lot of flack for putting my little kids to bed at 8 - which isn't even that late. Never understood why anyone would want their kids up early in the morning.

It not about wanting lol. Mine has a mind of his own. We were away for shabbos and it was impossible for him to go to sleep before 10 bec the house was hopping. He was up during the night and woke at 6:30 for the day.. Some kids wake up early no matter what time bedtime was... (He usually does 11 hours)

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 10:20 am
too late!! I aim for 730 but they are never in bed before 8.

My 4 yr old wakes up more or less the same time every day so the late bed time does no good for her.

Bedtime takes forever!!

and my 2 yr old my husband has to bribe her to go to bed...

Last edited by jewishmom6 on Mon, Feb 21 2022, 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 10:26 am
devorah1231 wrote:
Woah where do you live??? My kids start at 9, and my toddler even later. I know boys who need to be at minyan start earlier, but not that early.

I live in NY and my kids busses come at 8. They need to be up 7:20 latest. My toddler starts at 10.
Boys need to be at minyan 7/7:30. Many boys leave before 7.

rosesandlilies

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:48 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:

Oh, I wish putting them to bed later would make them wake up later! Never in a million years!!

My son is 7 I try to have him in bed by 7:30, 8ish latest. He is up by 6:30 without fail every day, Shabbos and Sundays included. Even after a really late night, I can't remember the last time he was asleep past 8:30. The night of my brother in laws wedding he went to sleep close to 3 in the morning, lo and behold by 9 he was out and about.... it's really frustrating sometimes...

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:51 pm
If you put them to bed later on a regular basis, their bodies will shift to waking up later. Not every kid is the same but most will.

nicole81

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 4:15 pm
So when I only had little kids (up to 11 years old) they were in bed by 7:30 and asleep by 8. It gets harder as you have a house of teens and littles and a lot of room sharing.

My 5 and 11 year olds have an 8pm bedtime but we let the 11 year old stay up until 9:30 motzei shabbat. My teens don't have a set bedtime. One goes to bed around 10, another on goes to bed anywhere from 10-1am, and the third teen dorms during the week and is responsible enough to figure out when he needs to go to bed when he's home.

The 3 year old, otoh, is completely attached to me and he won't go to sleep until I do. He's usually like the Energizer bunny, but sometimes he crashes and drags a blanket and pillow into the hallway and parks outside the bathroom while I'm doing my nightly routine. The earliest he ever gets to be is probably 10. My house was very routinized for many years but with my youngest, I just let him live til he crashes next to me, or with me.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 4:33 pm
devorah1231 wrote:

Since you asked I'll answer, I live in South Africa and to quote an Israeli friend "people wake up at sunrise and go to sleep at sunset". Of course its not literal but the latest Shacharis is 8:00 Most shuls daven around 6:30. Latest Maariv is 8:00. No school even preschool starts later than 8:00. You won't call most people after 9. Although WhatsApp has changed things a lot and you can message people late

amother
Daffodil

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 2:49 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Waking up at 5:30 is insane!!!
I would put the kids to bed later each night until their bodies eventually learn to sleep later.

Trust me, I've tried over the past 4 years. One of my kids has this internal clock that wakes her extremely early, no matter what time they go to sleep! There was one time this child slept past 7 - after my sibling's wedding when we got home at close to 4am! And then she was awake and ready before school started! I used to be like that as a kid, too. So if one is awake that early, I'd rather have the other one asleep early, too. I gotta either have my evenings or my mornings...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics