Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spending money when others are in need
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

grin

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:45 pm
all you women with diamond rings - wear them and enjoy them! who do you think diamonds were created for - just non jewish kings?!

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:46 pm
grin wrote:
all you women with diamond rings - wear them and enjoy them! who do you think diamonds were created for - just non jewish kings?!
I agree that women should wear their diamonds and enjoy them, but they may not want to sit in judgment of people that want to buy a nice handbag or something. We all have our things, right?

I'm confused about the non jewish king thing. Do kings have a bling thing?

grin

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:50 pm
as in "crown jewels" - precious stones were definitely not created lechatchila for their use.

louche

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:52 pm
Clarissa wrote:

The Pope has a ring thing. The emperor of China had a Ming thing. Elvis had a sing thing.

grin

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:55 pm
louche wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

The Pope has a ring thing. The emperor of China had a Ming thing. Elvis had a sing thing.

LOL

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:57 pm
And bees have a sting thing, UPS guys have a bring thing, newborn babies have a cling thing, chickens have a wing thing, GAMzu has a sling thing...

gonewiththewind

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 1:59 pm
[quote="cassandra"]You heretics are going to get this thread banned.

Though I have a problem with "Rebbe" concept, I'm willing to make an exception here.[/quote

You calling me a heretic? Just when I thought I had been called all the names already I hear a new one. And I don't think I'll get banned. Sure the Mods may Pm me about how rude or awful I am, but I think they are are really fond of me but just don't know how to express it.

And Clarissa, I don't think I was sitting in judgement. Maya asked if there is anything wrong with it, and I said if she feels that way anyway, it's not the best thing to do. And if it makes you happy, the ring I got from my inlaws cost less than your friend's pocketbook. They are really not into that kind of stuff and bought this nebby one since you gotta buy one or you are breaking the rules.

grin

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 2:06 pm
to tell the truth, I also wanted a diamond ring, so I bought myself one on Ebay with 5 tiny real diamonds (for about $20!)
I wear it sometimes on Shabbos. What's wrong with diamonds?

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 2:10 pm
grin wrote:
to tell the truth, I also wanted a diamond ring, so I bought myself one on Ebay with 5 tiny real diamonds (for about $20!)
I wear it sometimes on Shabbos. What's wrong with diamonds?
NOTHING IS WRONG WITH DIAMONDS. Please read my posts.

greenfire

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 2:28 pm
wow so much to say ... if I remember them all ... doncha know "diamonds are a girls best friend" Music

I second louche - clarissa being in love with her washing machine is not a moot point - it most certainly loves her back with clean clothing and not having to run to the hudson river everytime she needs to wash a load ... as for the dh and the matzoh crumbs - please please we have to wait at least until after pesach sheini to get rid of all that matzoh ... as far as having a "Rebbelle" I too would follow as I admire both a unique grouping and the left-of-right-rebel in me says it is kool Thumbs Up ...

oh and I own quite a pretty diamond ring ... sitting in my drawer - but not because I'm afraid to wear it - it lurkes as a memories of yesterdays' dream ... in a little box with faces from the past ... Crying

as for $$$ - you can't spend what you don't have ... so enjoy what you do have - even if it's free toilet paper ... Drunken Smile

cassandra

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 2:39 pm
greenfire wrote:

oh and I own quite a pretty diamond ring ... sitting in my drawer - but not because I'm afraid to wear it - it lurkes as a memories of yesterdays' dream ... in a little box with faces from the past ... Crying

Why don't you make it into a necklace or something?

Or sell it and give the money to the poor?

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 2:59 pm
all of my jewelry is insured so I wear it as much as I want to. I takeh did sell some last summer but note I didn't even get 1/3 value on it.

Motek

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 3:23 pm
freidasima wrote:
you are permitted and even chayav to have pleasure in this world, all the time remembering that it is fleeting, that we have it for a reason and that is to give us yet another reason to be happy, content and eager to praise the Almighty (or so I tell dh every time I go and buy material to make myself a skirt or shabbos robe! and he never says "no"...zaddik that he is...)

there is a long thread on this topic called "Is the pursuit of pleasure encouraged by Torah?" and who remembers that all the time time anyway? who are we kidding?

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....09525

greenfire

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 3:33 pm
cassandra wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Why don't you make it into a necklace or something?

Or sell it and give the money to the poor?

you think I can make money selling my wedding pictures too ?!?!?! Question how about the kids ?!?!?! Idea

cassandra

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 3:36 pm
I guess I'm just not so sentimental about possessions...

amother

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 4:20 pm
My diamond ring was over $10,000. And I have tons of other jewelery that each piece is over $1500. What does that have to do with buying a purse? Some people like spending money on jewelery and some on purses and some like to spend on shoes. I know some people who like to collect dvd's and spend a fortune on dvd's. Now to me buying dvd's is a total waste of money.

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 4:30 pm
amother wrote:
My diamond ring was over $10,000. And I have tons of other jewelery that each piece is over $1500. What does that have to do with buying a purse? Some people like spending money on jewelery and some on purses and some like to spend on shoes. I know some people who like to collect dvd's and spend a fortune on dvd's. Now to me buying dvd's is a total waste of money.
I don't understand your post. In one way, you're agreeing with me that we all make our own decisions about what's worth our money. On the other hand, you're asking what one has to do with the other. Meaning, why does wearing expensive jewelry have anything to do with buying expensive purses? Either you're agreeing with me or arguing, but either way, you proved my point. Sort of.

cassandra

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 4:30 pm
What does the cost of your diamond jewelry have to do with anything?

Fox

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 4:53 pm
I almost posted as amother because this is a little private, but . . . here goes: I had a diamond ring when I got married along with a wedding band, but it was stolen. It wasn't an expensive diamond, and we used the insurance money for other things.

Fast-forward a few years, and I really wanted some kind of ring. The higher-end simulated diamonds had just been introduced, and I got one. I love it! I have a beautiful ring, but I don't have to worry about losing it, having it stolen, etc.

In fact, I finally confided to one of my close friends that it was a fake because I could tell she was really envious. So she got one, too!

Clarissa

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 4:55 pm
The value of anybody's ring isn't relevant. In a post where people speak of the responsibility of not wearing jewelry that one's neighbors might envy, having a $200 cz is the same as a $8000 diamond. And an imitation Prada bag is the same as a real one. It's all about social responsibility, isn't it?
Page 5 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics