Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What are your pronouns?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:12 pm
none/of/your/business

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:21 pm
During the day: Eeeeeemmmaaaah! (must be screamed at a minimum strength of 120 dezibel).
Between 00:00 and 07:00 : It, or the Zombie

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:23 pm
I have a lot of jobs: taxi, cook, coordinator, maid, wife, mommy, daughter, sister, teacher, friend…

So I guess they/them works.

bluebird

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:54 pm
DrMom wrote:
Maybe she can take her mask off so people who are dependent on lip-reading can understand her.

Are you asking out of a sincere desire to accommodate deaf and hard of hearing people AT A MEETING WITH DISABILITY ADVOCATES who probably themselves requested that masks be worn, or just trying to pick a fight about masks or liberals?

Lip reading probably wouldn’t work well unless the camera work is incredible at focusing on every person speaking at just the right angle. The right accommodation for that is captioning.

Last edited by bluebird on Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

bluebird

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:57 pm
Brownies wrote:
Thank you, I was actually quite confused by that. She really sounded like she was poking fun at the whole pronoun thing by following it up with another obvious statement like that, but knowing her politics I was highly doubtful that that was the case!

I’m glad it helped! This was also a meeting with disability advocates, so the extra description is particularly relevant.

Chickensoupprof

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 2:59 pm
Please refer to me as: Her ladyship.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 3:11 pm
My pronouns are Cool / Cheers / Dancing

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 3:37 pm
bluebird wrote:
I’m glad it helped! This was also a meeting with disability advocates, so the extra description is particularly relevant.

Except, she was wearing a mask so how are hearing impaired people supposed to follow along?

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 3:49 pm
Nursing mom of newborn here so...

Sleepy/Dairy cow/Milk bottle

bluebird

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 3:49 pm
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
Except, she was wearing a mask so how are hearing impaired people supposed to follow along?

This was a meeting with disability advocates. They are advocates, so I assume that the people attending would advocate for themselves and their needs. I can't guarantee this as I wasn't there, but people who lipread likely would have asked her to be maskless or a mask with clear plastic in the front to accommodate lip reading. So I assume that this request wasn't made.

I took a quick look at the video, which has an ASL interpreter (not sure if he was in the meeting itself or not, but was present on the live stream) and is captioned.

Lip reading isn't actually as effective as hearing people think it is. The conditions have to be perfect (good lighting, speaker is positioned right, speaker doesn't mumble, speaker doesn't have a beard, etc) and the lip-reader has to be proficient at doing it. Even then, estimates are that lip reading will only work for about 30-40% of words. From what I understand it's best combined with hearing aids.

Just to clarify, I am not deaf/HoH myself but in my job I have worked with both deaf/HoH and blind people. My info is based on what I have learned from working with them and reading information available online from social and advocacy organizations.

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 5:07 pm
Mine are whatcha lookin at/leave me alone

Wearing nothing at the moment

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 5:11 pm
Mine are Tries to Respect Others, Even if I Disagree With Them / Tries Not to Belittle and Demean Others / Does Not Start Political Threads Anonymously, Particularly to Mock Others, Even if I do Respond Anonymously

almostlettinggo

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 5:25 pm
Mine is: busylady
But Maaaaaaaaaa is probably most popular

fiji

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 5:28 pm
Apparently my pronoun is “it” because to quote my children who were fighting over who got to sit on my lap, “ I got it first!”

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 5:46 pm
bluebird wrote:
This was a meeting with disability advocates. They are advocates, so I assume that the people attending would advocate for themselves and their needs. I can't guarantee this as I wasn't there, but people who lipread likely would have asked her to be maskless or a mask with clear plastic in the front to accommodate lip reading. So I assume that this request wasn't made.

I took a quick look at the video, which has an ASL interpreter (not sure if he was in the meeting itself or not, but was present on the live stream) and is captioned.

Lip reading isn't actually as effective as hearing people think it is. The conditions have to be perfect (good lighting, speaker is positioned right, speaker doesn't mumble, speaker doesn't have a beard, etc) and the lip-reader has to be proficient at doing it. Even then, estimates are that lip reading will only work for about 30-40% of words. From what I understand it's best combined with hearing aids.

Just to clarify, I am not deaf/HoH myself but in my job I have worked with both deaf/HoH and blind people. My info is based on what I have learned from working with them and reading information available online from social and advocacy organizations.

I am hard of hearing, and being able to see a person's mouth and lip movements when they are speaking is a big part of allowing me to understand what people are saying. I had a very difficult time during covid when people were wearing masks all the time, especially at work, and no I don't always feel comfortable asking people to lower their masks, I assume they are wearing them for a reason and dont feel comfortable otherwise...

amother
Marigold

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:12 pm
Lesbian and frum!

She/her

Dressed tznius and eidel.

😛 Thanks for the platform

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:12 pm
Call me Madam!

Wearing a teal shirt, and a navy skirt with orange and yellow flowers. And a few light blue flowers. And sage green leaves. Outlined in a soft grey.

Will change clothes shortly, since tomorrow evening is Rosh Chodesh Av.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:18 pm
I have only boys. Some of them are toddlers. So basically I go by him.

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:40 am
SuperWify wrote:
I have a lot of jobs: taxi, cook, coordinator, maid, wife, mommy, daughter, sister, teacher, friend…

You just won this thread for me LOL

m-u-a-mama

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 2:27 pm
SuperWify wrote:

See they/them always confused me. How could one person be addressed as multiple people??

But I guess you've solved the conundrum!

(Although you have to have this many hats to identify as plural IMO. Simply "feeling" like they doesn't count)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics