Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I'm obsessed!!! (Binah Magazine)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

zigi

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 8:16 am
I also am . I buy it every week! I really should get a subscription!

Amital

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 9:10 am
Is there a website where I can get a subscription? I'm out of NY, and can't find it online. I've been looking for a good (Jewish woman's) magazine out here!

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 9:54 am
They dont have a website. but mishpacha does.

mom7270

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 10:29 am
amitalmai- pm me my sil sells subscriptions

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 10:43 am
iworked with them for binah magazine. ok, not for binah, but in the same office. binah, is part of hamodia, and I worked for hamodia when they were just getting together the articles for the first binah magazine...
but rivki, you knew I knew that... Wink

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 10:57 am
I didnt kno you worked for hamodia

Cdlf

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:26 am
I too love the Binah. I do let my 2 teens read it. What about other mothers of teens?
This Sunday erev Shavuous I saw the new issue in the store and I went crazy that maybe I won't get it until Wed. bec. I'm a subscriber. I was so tempted to BUY it for Yom Tov. But it came in the mail on tues-instead of the usual mon-and I had my toddler open it!!!

mandksima

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:44 am
We get the Mishpacha mag and love it. The kids love the Junior part and I enjoy the family one plus the regular but it is very expensive. Is Binah that much different? Does it cover current events/politics? Is it only geared towards women's issues or would my DH read it also? Is it cheaper than mishpacha?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:48 am
RivkiA, I'm the writer who posted earlier, and I am here to tell you: YOU CAN DO IT!!!

If you were considered a good writer in hs, and you have accumulated some life experience now, so what could possibly be the problem???? Words that come from the heart enter the heart. Do you want to write a personal experience essay? Or humor? Or interview someone? Or a parenting piece? Or crafts? Recipes? Come on, what's your dream?? We will help you!!

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:56 am
Binah and Mishpacha are very different IMO. Binah is for ladies. It focuses on our issues. Mishpacha is for the whole family. I like them both, but they're very different. I love the Mishpacha's interviews. Like last week they interviewed a dayan who spoke about jealousy around money issues in the frum olam, and also a lady who does a segula with pouring lead to get rid of ayin hara. But sometimes their serial stories and "true stories" scare me a little, there are a lot of unpleasant family dynamics that show up in them. Also the Mishpacha has more of an Eretz Yisrael taam. The Binah is more of a Boro Park type, like a fancier style.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
RivkiA, I'm the writer who posted earlier, and I am here to tell you: YOU CAN DO IT!!!

If you were considered a good writer in hs, and you have accumulated some life experience now, so what could possibly be the problem???? Words that come from the heart enter the heart. Do you want to write a personal experience essay? Or humor? Or interview someone? Or a parenting piece? Or crafts? Recipes? Come on, what's your dream?? We will help you!!

I would write a personal experience story or a story I made up.
but most of my personal experience stories are not acceptable for jewish women to read!
I like recipes but how do you turn that into an article?
humor I could do but I wouldnt feel as accomplished igf that was my subject...

square_peg

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:27 pm
chavamom wrote:
I let my older 2 daughters read it. I wish they had a publication for teens!

They do. I forgot what its called, but there is a new publication out there for teens.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:46 pm
there are two: expressions I think is one and I dont remember the other one.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:19 pm
RivkiA, are you a BT? People are always interested in those type of stories. Of course you'll leave out anything unsuitable, but still, there's a lot people could learn.

Humor is always in demand. It's really hard to write, so if you can do it, you should feel hugely accomplished!

I don't know what your situation is now, but if you're married and/or raising children, there are always stories to tell about that. Especially if you weren't raised the way you're living now, there's a lot of potential conflict, and that's what makes a story interesting. Have you struggled with something as a newlywed or a new mother or something, and then achieved some sort of resolution?

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:20 pm
another teen mag: shoshanim

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:39 pm
amother wrote:
RivkiA, are you a BT? People are always interested in those type of stories. Of course you'll leave out anything unsuitable, but still, there's a lot people could learn.

Humor is always in demand. It's really hard to write, so if you can do it, you should feel hugely accomplished!

I don't know what your situation is now, but if you're married and/or raising children, there are always stories to tell about that. Especially if you weren't raised the way you're living now, there's a lot of potential conflict, and that's what makes a story interesting. Have you struggled with something as a newlywed or a new mother or something, and then achieved some sort of resolution?

I am sort of a BT, I was living a bais yakov rebel kind of life and then got sick of it...its not really an inspiring story. altho there was one thing that made me realize that the life I was leading was not what I wanted...but its not this great story abt overcoming something and triumph.

I did write a really funny essay on growing up litvish and marrying a chassid and living in Geulah.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 2:02 pm
Send it in!!!!

(And your personal story sounds good too. A lot of things in life are like that; not the big dramatic clim@x, but a slower, more solid change.)

If you wanted to write about your experience coming back, decide what "message" you want to give over. Is there advice you'd like to give mothers with rebellious daughters? Or something else? Center the story around that.

chavamom

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 2:18 pm
amother wrote:
another teen mag: shoshanim

Where do you get it?

In the kitchen

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 4:49 pm
I like that Binah doesnt discuss politics...although I also avidly read Mishpacha I am not a fan of such saddening topics on Shabbos...

But the last 2 times I picked up the Binah I was very frustrated with the covers! They look so beautiful and then when you open them...there is no recipe for the cover!!! GRRRRR!!!! It makes me feel like it is a trick to get you to buy the magazine...

When you look at the cover of Mishpacha that is what is inside...

Example: Binah had these cute square cheescake looking things on the front and inside the magazine there was a two page spread of more pictures of these and all it says is in the bottom left hand corner which caterer or whoever makes them!!!!

And the one before with the apple pies on the cover...again no apple pie recipe. Gorgeous yet frustratingly deceptive covers.

ClaRivka

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 5:13 pm
amother wrote:
Send it in!!!!

(And your personal story sounds good too. A lot of things in life are like that; not the big dramatic clim@x, but a slower, more solid change.)

If you wanted to write about your experience coming back, decide what "message" you want to give over. Is there advice you'd like to give mothers with rebellious daughters? Or something else? Center the story around that.

hm...
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics