Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do you do Allowances?
Previous  1  2

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:30 am
We give the school-age kids $5 a month. There are no strings attached to that; it is just money they are allowed to spend or save as they would like. And it’s the same amount for each child. It’s bonus money, so I don’t see why they have to get different amounts for different ages.

We also have a reward system for helping around the house or following instructions. If you empty the dishwasher/put away laundry/go to bed nicely/daven shacharis etc. you earn points, which are given out age appropriately. Points can earn things like a prize or a milkshake.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 29 2023, 11:37 am
Tried it. 3$ a week. Then it got complicated. They wanted rather a bigger amount per month etc. some just didn’t know what to do with the money. I stopped it once it got out of hand. They get nice amounts for Chanukah and Purim. One of them loves getting money and is really motivated by it so I give him sometimes when I’m going out at night and want him to behave. His private rebbe also gives him a dollar each time he comes. A different kid likes to get herself sandwiches at the bakery so I will sometimes give her like 5$ to get herself whatever she wants. I find this way works better than a set expected amount. But you have to know your kids.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children