Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Pig costume? -update-
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 7:36 am
My favorite book as a child was charlotte’s web. I used to dream of having a little pig of my own.

gr82no

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:26 am
amother Lilac wrote:
I thought you’re sposed to say treif looks/smells good but ur not eating cuz HaShem said assur. Not sposed to be like ewww ewww. It’s all made by HaShem, He wouldn’t make yucky things.
Dogs are also gross iykwim
And plz don’t do this in public? Could make tremendous chillul HaShem. Would u look away for a wolf? Wolves are also not kosher and used as an insult. And the chet haegel was a cow…

I think the Torah calls it maus- disgusting.
I never heard of the bolded.
Pigs are a different category than other animals. It was explained earlier.
In public I quickly skip it I don’t make a big deal about it. I quietly tell kids not to look. Sometimes on his own a kid will say ew gross. And I don’t think that’s a chillul hashem when a kid says an animal is gross for rolling in the mud.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:27 am
gr82no wrote:
I think the Torah calls it maus- disgusting.
I never heard of the bolded.
Pigs are a different category than other animals. It was explained earlier.
In public I quickly skip it I don’t make a big deal about it. I quietly tell kids not to look. Sometimes on his own a kid will say ew gross. And I don’t think that’s a chillul hashem when a kid says an animal is gross for rolling in the mud.

Rolling in the mud is nothing. Dogs eat poop, and throw it up, and then eat the poop vomit. True story.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:33 pm
amother Crimson wrote:
A little off topic but now I'm wondering . I'm an EI therapist and have a piggy bank toy that I use in my sessions and bring to homes. I'm regular yeshivish in Lakewood. You think some of the families are cringing ? Would the people that don't say the word care? I want to be sensitive...

A pushka would be much better on all fronts.

gr82no

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:09 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Rolling in the mud is nothing. Dogs eat poop, and throw it up, and then eat the poop vomit. True story.

That is gross. I don’t have pics of dogs in my house either.
But the difference is that is something the dog does occasionally. The pig rolls around in the mud all day. From what I’ve heard.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:14 pm
gr82no wrote:
That is gross. I don’t have pics of dogs in my house either.
But the difference is that is something the dog does occasionally. The pig rolls around in the mud all day. From what I’ve heard.

Today it's common knowledge in the secular world that pigs are some of the cleanest animals around, instinctively choosing a place for toileting that is far from their eating and living places whenever they can. That's why this thread is so surprising to me.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:26 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Today it's common knowledge in the secular world that pigs are some of the cleanest animals around, instinctively choosing a place for toileting that is far from their eating and living places whenever they can. That's why this thread is so surprising to me.

They’re also so close to humans that they’re used for human “parts”. Like heart valves, insulin, etc. all come from pigs. Even the hypoallergenic infant formulas are predigested with pig enzymes.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 8:29 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
They’re also so close to humans that they’re used for human “parts”. Like heart valves, insulin, etc. all come from pigs. Even the hypoallergenic infant formulas are predigested with pig enzymes.

Just watched a video about that today with one of my littles. Smile

DrMom

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 2:53 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
The torah calls pigs the most disgusting animal in existence and animals that spread disease. They lay in a way to show off their split hooves so everyone should think they're kosher animals.
I think that a pig is the only animal that jews are not allowed to own and keep as pets & jews are not allowed to touch pig carcasses.
Pigs are in a class of it's own according to the torah.

Let's not exaggerate and distort Hashem's words. It does not say that in the Torah.

Also, putting on a cute piglet costume neither requires one to eat nor touch pigs, so I don't see the problem.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 6:16 pm
Update, we are doing the character outfits with a small pig aspect as well to finish it off. I asked because I had never thought of it being a problem but when I told my DH he idea he said he likes that it's the characters but thinks 'chazer' is strange. I sent him all of my revised costume ideas and he said it works for him.

I am not the 'controversy' OP and in fact I still have not even clicked on that thread.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 11:51 am
watergirl wrote:
I was thinking the same as you. I've never encountered this level of disgust before in regards to pigs. I was actually helping my son plan a pig costume for this year but he nixed it (his class just read Animal Farm, so we were thinking he could wear a pig t-shirt and a French beret and he'd be Napoleon from the book, and his mm would be mini napoleons!). In the end, he's going to be another literary character.

If someone has a feeling or sensitivity about pigs, do what you feel is right of course! But there is so much pushing your feelings onto others here. Some of the comments on this thread seem to be moving away from a "sensitivity" and into religious OCD territory. I really hope people discussed these things with their daas Torah before doing some of these things.

Each person here is entitled to their opinion.
Each person's opinion is important and valued on Imamother.

OP started this thread mentioning that she wants to dress up her child as a pig.

Did she mention it b/c she wanted to read opinions, or mentioned it casually as just saying... and didn't want responses?

If she didn't want to read people's opinions why mention it at all? She knows that the opinions/responses will vary like the people here are diverse.

Thus I don't agree with you that people here are "pushing" their opinions on her. She has the choice to accept and discard.

No-one is holding her against the wall at gunpoint, chas v'Shalom.

Re asking daas Torah: I'm really curious if you were planning on asking daas Torah before dressing up your son as a pig?
And, I strongly disagree with you re religious OCD in this case: people who speak strongly against dressing up on Purim as a pig (of all things) IS NOT OCD!!!

A pig is the most abominable and forbidden animals in the Torah, and yes I know lots of people who don't call it by its actual name - they say a "P-I-G" or davar acher b/c the Torah holds it so abominable, more than any other animal!

Can't we have a bit of respect for other people's opinions???

We can all state our opinions, and in a respectful manner - not condescending, not labelling, nor being nasty and bashing. etc...

We ARE all an important part of one nation - Am Yisrael!

Happy Purim to all Smile

So this is my opinion. Take it or leave it. It's perfectly fine if you agree with me or disagree, b/c you also have your opinion. And I respect that.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 5:52 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

Rolling Eyes

amother
Magnolia

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 5:53 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

Wadr it’s very odd how strongly you’re trying to defend pigs and make dogs to be worse
Sorry but no comparison

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 6:00 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Wadr it’s very odd how strongly you’re trying to defend pigs and make dogs to be worse
Sorry but no comparison

I have dogs, have always had dogs, and they're gross. I just accept it. But dogs and pigs are both very intelligent. I wouldn't eat a pig even if it weren't for Kashrut.

BrisketBoss

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 6:06 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Sorry but no comparison

I think it's odd how strongly y'all feel about pigs. I guess we're even.

watergirl

Post Sat, Mar 04 2023, 6:12 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
[/b]

Each person here is entitled to their opinion.
Each person's opinion is important and valued on Imamother.

OP started this thread mentioning that she wants to dress up her child as a pig.

Did she mention it b/c she wanted to read opinions, or mentioned it casually as just saying... and didn't want responses?

If she didn't want to read people's opinions why mention it at all? She knows that the opinions/responses will vary like the people here are diverse.

Thus I don't agree with you that people here are "pushing" their opinions on her. She has the choice to accept and discard.

No-one is holding her against the wall at gunpoint, chas v'Shalom.

Re asking daas Torah: I'm really curious if you were planning on asking daas Torah before dressing up your son as a pig?
And, I strongly disagree with you re religious OCD in this case: people who speak strongly against dressing up on Purim as a pig (of all things) IS NOT OCD!!!

A pig is the most abominable and forbidden animals in the Torah, and yes I know lots of people who don't call it by its actual name - they say a "P-I-G" or davar acher b/c the Torah holds it so abominable, more than any other animal!

Can't we have a bit of respect for other people's opinions???

We can all state our opinions, and in a respectful manner - not condescending, not labelling, nor being nasty and bashing. etc...

We ARE all an important part of one nation - Am Yisrael!

Happy Purim to all Smile

So this is my opinion. Take it or leave it. It's perfectly fine if you agree with me or disagree, b/c you also have your opinion. And I respect that.

I thought it was clear, but apparently I was not. I said some of these comments sound more like religious OCD to me. I did not say which ones because I did not want to call anybody out in particular.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 3:05 am

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Mar 05 2023, 3:17 am
Even Purim shtik cannot make the traif pig kosher.
Only the arrival of Moshiach tzidkeinu can May he arrive now!

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 4:59 pm
I decided to bump this thread.

And I'm doing so because I'm wondering the following:
As the world goes further into this pit of disfunction (gender dysfunction and the like), is this still an issue to those that opposed this a few months ago- purim time (!)

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 5:02 pm
amother NeonYellow wrote:
I decided to bump this thread.

And I'm doing so because I'm wondering the following:
As the world goes further into this pit of disfunction (gender dysfunction and the like), is this still an issue to those that opposed this a few months ago- purim time (!)

A pig is a pig and will always be a pig, no matter what else is going on in the world. It will always stay a non kosher animal.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics