Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Pig costume? -update-
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:47 pm
ploni321 wrote:
Why not? She's quoting the advice of a holy man. She's not talking about chabad minhag, just the advice of the lubavicher rebbe, known by many as a very holy Jew.

*I'm not Chabad

Because outside of Chabad circles I don't think it's viewed the same way. Chabad keeps their kids far away from pigs (no stuffed pigs etc) but it's really not like that for JPF people. I don't think most non Chabad people would think twice about a little kid dressed up as a pig. It's exactly the same as a little kid dressed up as a puppy in my eyes (and I think a lot of other non Chabad people)

amother
Magnolia

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:56 pm
amother Maple wrote:
Wow. Comparing hitler to a pig. People have choices. A pig is just an animal.

I wasn’t comparing anything
Just showing how ridiculous to try to say just because Hashem created pigs that means they’re fine and dandy and our precious children should be dressed like them
He created many things, good and bad

Common sense should prevail

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 7:59 pm
I think it’s fine. Chabad is very against pigs which is likely why you’re getting such strong responses against it. I would do a cartoony type pig costume.

Ellie7

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:04 pm
I’d consider myself OOT probably MO and works definitely do this. I did dinosaurs last year and people would probably have an issue with that, too. But it’s hard to see why on either one.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:06 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
I wasn’t comparing anything
Just showing how ridiculous to try to say just because Hashem created pigs that means they’re fine and dandy and our precious children should be dressed like them
He created many things, good and bad

Common sense should prevail

Didnt Noach bring pigs into the teivah as well? I fail to see why he would do that if its such a bad animal. It may not be kosher but that doesnt make it evil or inappropriate for a day like purim. I am not chabad and dont have the same negative reactions to pigs. Its not the only non-kosher animal that people dress up as on purim and its a cute costume especially for little girls who like pink so not sure what the fuss is about.

ploni321

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:09 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
Because outside of Chabad circles I don't think it's viewed the same way. Chabad keeps their kids far away from pigs (no stuffed pigs etc) but it's really not like that for JPF people. I don't think most non Chabad people would think twice about a little kid dressed up as a pig. It's exactly the same as a little kid dressed up as a puppy in my eyes (and I think a lot of other non Chabad people)

I appreciate the explanation. I didn't know that Chabad was strict about this. I learned something!

amother
Impatiens

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
What makes pig the 'most' treif?

Never heard of someone thinking a pig costume wasn't cute because pig can be an insult

They are very little so we're not up to schoolyard taunts.

I pig is the only animal mentioned in the torah that a jew isn't allowed to own. The torah mentions a pig as the most disgusting animal in existence. So a pig really is different than any other animal and it would be really inappropriate to dress up as a pig. The torah speaks very derogatory on pigs and their actions. Many jews don't look at a pig.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:13 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:

Chabad is not against pigs. Chabad doesn't look at non kosher animals in general and many Chabad don't have toys and books of any non kosher animals, not just pigs.
It's actually not the same as dressed up as a puppy. Not at all.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:14 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Didnt Noach bring pigs into the teivah as well? I fail to see why he would do that if its such a bad animal. It may not be kosher but that doesnt make it evil or inappropriate for a day like purim. I am not chabad and dont have the same negative reactions to pigs. Its not the only non-kosher animal that people dress up as on purim and its a cute costume especially for little girls who like pink so not sure what the fuss is about.

According to the torah, a pig is different than other animals.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:20 pm
I wouldn't but if I'd see a really little kid dressed up as a pig I probably wouldnt think twice about it. I wouldnt think that it's weird.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:21 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
According to the torah, a pig is different than other animals.

Is that a chabad interpretation of the Torah (every community has their own interpretations on different things in the torah kind of like shaving vs covering head, etc) or actual Torah? Please bring sources.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:23 pm
amother DarkViolet wrote:
Is that a chabad interpretation of the Torah (every community has their own interpretations on different things in the torah) or actual Torah? Please bring sources.

Actual torah, nothing to do with chabad.
I thought it's common knowledge......

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:28 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
my toddler wants to be a dog do u have a link to ur costume?

It's an old hand me down I haven't actually seen yet

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:31 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
Actual torah, nothing to do with chabad.
I thought it's common knowledge......

Its common knowledge that the pig is not kosher. Where does it say in the torah that its worse than any other non-kosher animal? Please cite sources. Thanks.

amother
Yolk

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:34 pm
Bottom line op, you started this thread because obviously something about a pig costume is making you uncomfortable/ unsure. Trust your gut.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:53 pm
Yevonim put that animal on the mizbeach, shocking because it's the most abominable animal.

Mishnah Bava Kamma 7:7
One day, they sent up a pig. When it reached the mid-point of the wall, it stuck its claws into the wall and Eretz Yisrael "quavered" four hundred parasangs by four hundred parasangs.
The Mishna with Obadiah Bartenura by Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Rashi on Genesis 26:34:1
Eisov is compared to a pig as it is said: “The boar of the forest ravages it.” When the pig lies down it stretches out its hooves as if to say, “See, I am a clean animal.”
Rashi Chumash, Metsudah Publications, 2009

Shabbat 155b:8
incumbent upon you, and therefore, it is prohibited to place food before them, as it was taught in a baraita : One may place sustenance before a dog on Shabbat, but one may not place sustenance before a pig...In this case of the dog, responsibility for its sustenance is incumbent upon you, and in that case of the pig, responsibility for its sustenance is not incumbent upon you, as no Jew raises pigs.
William Davidson Edition - English

Thank you Sefaria!

They are often called davar acher instead of calling it by it's actual name in gemara

zaq

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:58 pm
Ugh, no. Don't do it. A pig is a negative image even in secular American culture. A person may work like a horse or be clever as a fox, and these are good things. The only traits associated with pigs are laziness, gluttony and slovenliness, and calling someone a pig is always offensive. Furthermore, to both Jews and Muslims, the pig is one of the most offensive animal images there is.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 8:59 pm
Didn’t read the whole thread, but I think piglets are cute. A newborn dressed up in a piglet costume would be heaven!

NechaMom

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 10:08 pm
Teacher: so what are you dressing up as on Purim?

Your kid: a pig! 🐖

I’d feel very bad for your child if I’d be the teacher.
Please don’t do it!!
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics