Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Pig costume? -update-
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 9:56 am
Op are you the same poster who asked how to make a thread go viral and were advised to start a controversy? Because this is getting a bit odd already.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 9:57 am
amother Tomato wrote:
I have seen (and eat) kosher “bacon” with a hechsher. 😉

I hope you’re joking.
It’s not real pig.

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 9:59 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
And the kosher animals are positive? I think it's not very nice to call a lady a cow. And people apparently don't mind dogs as costumes, but b!tch is not so complimentary either. (This is a word my mother uses legitimately in her work with dogs.) People look down on animals. I believe.

This is all wrong. We eat cows, and we keep dogs as pets.
Pigs are always used in a derogatory term, they’re filthy, not to mention how the Torah considers them
Again would you be ok with your child being called a pig?

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:51 am
In the BY school my daughter goes to there’s a math book that has a picture of a pig on the front page and the entire grade one covered that page with another paper to cover the PICTURE of the pig.
Regular BY, not chabad, not chassidish.

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:55 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
I hope you’re joking.
It’s not real pig.

I am not joking and I know it is fake meat.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:48 pm
I know a family who calls pigs P -I-G-s
They won’t even say the word.
One day they got a package from UPS , the little kid called his mom saying mommy come the P -I - G man is here!

Rolling Laughter

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 8:57 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
One day they got a package from UPS , the little kid called his mom saying mommy come the P -I - G man is here!

Rolling Laughter

I don’t get it

amother
Papayawhip

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 8:37 pm
Chassidish BP here I dressed my kid in a piglet costume one year as part of a Winnie the Pooh theme, it was adorable! Don’t see anything wrong with it.

Also side point I absolutely loved candied facon!!!

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:04 pm
We don't even say that word. 🤷‍♀️

gr82no

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 9:57 pm
It repulses me when I see a chazer. I really don’t like saying the word. If I saw someone dressed up like one I would think they are crazy for dressing up as a disgusting animal.
I have never had fake bacon and have no desire to.
Fun fact when Moshiach comes it will be kosher. I can’t imagine eating it but I assume it’s nature will change . I once learned why it will be kosher but I don’t remember something to do with shalosh klipos temeis that won’t exist so it becomes good.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:30 pm
I’m curious, all of you saying you don’t even say the word, or would never allow a stuffed pig into your house, do you never look at pigs at the zoo?

gr82no

Post Mon, Feb 27 2023, 10:33 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
I’m curious, all of you saying you don’t even say the word, or would never allow a stuffed pig into your house, do you never look at pigs at the zoo?

I would never let it in my house and yes I don’t look at it in the zoo, I go by it really fast looking the other way

amother
Pistachio

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:08 am
amother Ivory wrote:

Rolling Laughter

Can you explain this? I really don't get it.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:12 am
gr82no wrote:
It repulses me when I see a chazer. I really don’t like saying the word. If I saw someone dressed up like one I would think they are crazy for dressing up as a disgusting animal.
I have never had fake bacon and have no desire to.
Fun fact when Moshiach comes it will be kosher. I can’t imagine eating it but I assume it’s nature will change . I once learned why it will be kosher but I don’t remember something to do with shalosh klipos temeis that won’t exist so it becomes good.

I thought you’re sposed to say treif looks/smells good but ur not eating cuz HaShem said assur. Not sposed to be like ewww ewww. It’s all made by HaShem, He wouldn’t make yucky things.
Dogs are also gross iykwim
And plz don’t do this in public? Could make tremendous chillul HaShem. Would u look away for a wolf? Wolves are also not kosher and used as an insult. And the chet haegel was a cow…

DVOM

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:34 am
Wow. I am fascinated. I don't eat pig, obviously, but I'd have no issue with a pig costume. My strongest pig connotation is adorable Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. This is a sensitivity I have never encountered in real life and don't feel at all myself.

My big boys (7-14) are being:
An old man who escaped from an insane assylum
A man being eaten by a shark
A ninja
A 'fighter'- no more specific details, just black from head to toe and several holsters for all his many weapons.

We will be using lots of red face paint for fake blood.

Are these more holy and pure than a piggy costume? Surely not.

I'm guessing though that some families might nix these costumes too though, now that I think about it.

My kid, sadly, are not interested in dressing up as sifre Torah, the kohen gadol, or Mordecai.

(My baby and I will be dressing as matching Queen Esthers. Super excited! I'm guessing with her big brothers' influence she's going to want to be a pink princess ninja some day, but right now I still get to choose. Enjoying it while it lasts!)

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 4:37 am
A little off topic but now I'm wondering . I'm an EI therapist and have a piggy bank toy that I use in my sessions and bring to homes. I'm regular yeshivish in Lakewood. You think some of the families are cringing ? Would the people that don't say the word care? I want to be sensitive...

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 5:06 am
DVOM wrote:
Wow. I am fascinated. I don't eat pig, obviously, but I'd have no issue with a pig costume. My strongest pig connotation is adorable Piglet from Winnie the Pooh. This is a sensitivity I have never encountered in real life and don't feel at all myself.

I was thinking the same as you. I've never encountered this level of disgust before in regards to pigs. I was actually helping my son plan a pig costume for this year but he nixed it (his class just read Animal Farm, so we were thinking he could wear a pig t-shirt and a French beret and he'd be Napoleon from the book, and his mm would be mini napoleons!). In the end, he's going to be another literary character.

If someone has a feeling or sensitivity about pigs, do what you feel is right of course! But there is so much pushing your feelings onto others here. Some of the comments on this thread seem to be moving away from a "sensitivity" and into religious OCD territory. I really hope people discussed these things with their daas Torah before doing some of these things.

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:32 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm JPF, not Chabad, and live in an OOT community. Would it be weird to put my kid in a pig costume for a theme?
Wow, I guess I’m totally irreligious then, because I once dressed my 3 kids as the 3 little pigs. My husband was the big bad wolf. MM was really easy with pretzel sticks, veggie straws, and candy bricks. I tied it into Purim because we daven for the Geulah and there’s a Midrash that says that when Mashiach comes, pig will actually be kosher to eat.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:46 am
watergirl wrote:
I was thinking the same as you. I've never encountered this level of disgust before in regards to pigs. I was actually helping my son plan a pig costume for this year but he nixed it (his class just read Animal Farm, so we were thinking he could wear a pig t-shirt and a French beret and he'd be Napoleon from the book, and his mm would be mini napoleons!). In the end, he's going to be another literary character.

If someone has a feeling or sensitivity about pigs, do what you feel is right of course! But there is so much pushing your feelings onto others here. Some of the comments on this thread seem to be moving away from a "sensitivity" and into religious OCD territory. I really hope people discussed these things with their daas Torah before doing some of these things.

The torah calls pigs the most disgusting animal in existence and animals that spread disease. They lay in a way to show off their split hooves so everyone should think they're kosher animals.
I think that a pig is the only animal that jews are not allowed to own and keep as pets & jews are not allowed to touch pig carcasses.
Pigs are in a class of it's own according to the torah.

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 28 2023, 6:52 am
amother Impatiens wrote:
The torah calls pigs the most disgusting animal in existence and animals that spread disease. They lay in a way to show off their split hooves so everyone should think they're kosher animals.
I think that a pig is the only animal that jews are not allowed to own and keep as pets & jews are not allowed to touch pig carcasses.
Pigs are in a class of it's own according to the torah.

I did not deny any of that.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics