Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Is eating charoset & charoset sandwich a non-frum Jew thing?
Previous  1  2

rachelli66

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:38 am
We always prepared alot of Charoses (for both days) but also for eating during the other meals. My children also eat whatever we didnt finish at the Seder. (I also prepare alot).

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:28 pm
Does the fact that I eat bagels or matzah with lox and cream cheese, or chicken soup with kneidlach, make me not frum in your mind? Pity. In my mind, calling kneidlach "matzah balls" is a mark of being not frum, so there!

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Peru wrote:
Does the fact that I eat bagels or matzah with lox and cream cheese, or chicken soup with kneidlach, make me not frum in your mind? Pity. In my mind, calling kneidlach "matzah balls" is a mark of being not frum, so there!

Who are you responding to?

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 1:35 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
Who are you responding to?

The person who made the snarky remark about nonfrum people eating bagels and lox and chicken soup with matzah balls, as well as OP who believes that eating charoset sandwiches is the mark of a nonfrum person.

Obviously eating traditional foods does not a Ben Torah make, but there is value to them even so. Food is a connection to one's heritage. Why do you think certain communities are so adamant about having to have gefilte fish on Shabbos and stuffed cabbage or kreplach on Shmini Atzeres? Unlike matzah and Maror, these foods are not a halachic obligation but part of a cultural heritage that they view as tantamount to Torah Misinai.

And on a personal level, I resent people who make blanket assumptions about other people's frumkeit based on the fact that they have different customs, whether it's how or if they eat charoses or the style of their headgear.

One of the most beautiful things I ever saw was Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food, which includes customs and recipes from such diverse communities as Russia, India, Poland, China, Ethiopia, Italy, France, Bukhara, Syria, Greece--or, as the flyleaf says, "from Samarkand to New York." We don't bond with most people over divrei Torah. We bond over food, which is one philosophical reason for the laws of Kashrut: to keep us together as a people and separate from other nations. So, yeah, if I see someone in the supermarket picking up a jar of gefilte fish and a box of matzah, I have a pretty good clue that they're a MOT no matter where we are or what they look like.

A gutten moed.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:23 pm
amother Peru wrote:
The person who made the snarky remark about nonfrum people eating bagels and lox and chicken soup with matzah balls, as well as OP who believes that eating charoset sandwiches is the mark of a nonfrum person.

Obviously eating traditional foods does not a Ben Torah make, but there is value to them even so. Food is a connection to one's heritage. Why do you think certain communities are so adamant about having to have gefilte fish on Shabbos and stuffed cabbage or kreplach on Shmini Atzeres? Unlike matzah and Maror, these foods are not a halachic obligation but part of a cultural heritage that they view as tantamount to Torah Misinai.

And on a personal level, I resent people who make blanket assumptions about other people's frumkeit based on the fact that they have different customs, whether it's how or if they eat charoses or the style of their headgear.

One of the most beautiful things I ever saw was Claudia Roden's Book of Jewish Food, which includes customs and recipes from such diverse communities as Russia, India, Poland, China, Ethiopia, Italy, France, Bukhara, Syria, Greece--or, as the flyleaf says, "from Samarkand to New York." We don't bond with most people over divrei Torah. We bond over food, which is one philosophical reason for the laws of Kashrut: to keep us together as a people and separate from other nations. So, yeah, if I see someone in the supermarket picking up a jar of gefilte fish and a box of matzah, I have a pretty good clue that they're a MOT no matter where we are or what they look like.

A gutten moed.

Wow that's 2 long rants for misreading a sentence 🤔

She said according to her not frum relatives, if you DON'T eat bagels and lox and “matza ball soup” and herring it makes you not Jewish.

They sound uneducated.
The OP just sounded uneducated, too.
Your not frum/not frum because of the foods you like.
Tradition or not.

Being frum is about being shomer torah umitzvos.

I hope your chol hamoed gets better.
It seems like you can use a genuine hug.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:34 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
Yes. I have a couple non frum relatives who grew up not frum. They think that it’s very Jewish to eat charoses. You are supposed to dip it then shake it off.
These same relatives think that if you don’t eat bagels and lox and “matza ball soup” and herring it makes you not Jewish, even if you are the frummest Jew
It’s pretty comical

As a BT, I want to tell you how hurtful it is to see you refer to someone’s pinteke yid as “comical”. Some people literally know nothing else. My boss abstains from bread for pesach but eats literal shrimp and bacon with her egg matza. My aunt “does pesach” with her matza ball soup on whatever weekend night is closest to the seder.

Please PLEASE don’t mock them by calling them comical. They are the fourth son we speak about at the seder. I don’t even know how to ask, but at least they show up.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:39 pm
OP, to answer your question, as a BT married to a BT, yes, we used to put a nice, thick later of charoset on the matza and just a dab of maror, and it was a snack all of pesach. Then, my mom would serve the charoset during the meal at the seder. My in-laws are not frum and I don't say a word when they pile on the charoset either. They've seen how we dip, then shake it off, they've asked why, and they get the explanation each time... then they do it how they want and that's ok.

I remember learning the proper way to eat charoset on maror, it was one of the harder things to change honestly. It's hard to explain.

csfm

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:44 pm
I'm a first-generation Canadian BT married to a man with a similar Ashkenazi background. Neither one of our families ever ate charoses beyond the seders. Incidentally, my family referred to matza balls as kneidlakh and chicken soup as yokh in our Yiddish (our mameloshen) and English (second language) speaking household. And, just as my mame o.b.m. and bubba o.b.m. before me, I only serve kneidlakh (which my kinder help me to make) with my yokh at Pesach. The rest of the year, I only serve yokh mit lokshen for Shabbos or Yom Tov; chulent for our Shabbos Seudah; kreplakh for...you get the idea. The food we eat is a meaningful part of our Yiddishkeit. It's not superficial; quite the contrary--it's in honour of who we are and where we come from. Heart

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:29 pm
We don't like charoses at all. We dip the marror into it, but not the marror that goes into the korech sandwich. We dump the rest of the charoses after the second seder.

sequoia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 5:33 pm
watergirl wrote:
OP, to answer your question, as a BT married to a BT, yes, we used to put a nice, thick later of charoset on the matza and just a dab of maror, and it was a snack all of pesach. Then, my mom would serve the charoset during the meal at the seder. My in-laws are not frum and I don't say a word when they pile on the charoset either. They've seen how we dip, then shake it off, they've asked why, and they get the explanation each time... then they do it how they want and that's ok.

I remember learning the proper way to eat charoset on maror, it was one of the harder things to change honestly. It's hard to explain.

Why, though?

The rest of Pesach you can eat it as you like.

kenz

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:23 pm
I grew up JPF and we never, ever ate charoses bc of the symbolism. It’s so ingrained in me that I can’t eat it even though my in-laws, who are yeshivish, put mounds of it on their korach sandwiches. Absolute mounds.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:25 pm
amother Red wrote:
I grew up frum, yeshivish.
By marror we dip and shake it off. By korech we add a generous dollop of charoses.
Any leftover charoses doesnt last long-it gets eaten over the next few days with matzah, or plain by the spoon

Same here. We live in Lakewood my kids love it as long as it last!

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:49 pm
sequoia wrote:
Why, though?

The rest of Pesach you can eat it as you like.

Why not? If you don’t know how it’s supposed to be, it’s delicious, and it takes away the bitter taste of the maror, it makes sense to me.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 6:51 pm
I only make a small amount and it sits out the whole seder. I;mnot interested in food poisoning

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 7:01 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I only make a small amount and it sits out the whole seder. I;mnot interested in food poisoning

Is it even possible for chopped apples and nuts to cause food poisoning?

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 7:05 pm
I am FFB and I make enough charoses to last all week. I love it
(I freeze it in portions)

amother
Melon

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 7:06 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
If you like it then eat it. Who cares if it's a thing?

Dhs family esta Potato chips with tuna as a Pesach food. I've never seen it done anywhere else. I don't like it. I don't eat it. But they love it and it makes them happy.

Ha ha I also grew up eating potato chip and tuna sandwiches! It’s the only way I can eat tuna to this day! Thanks for the memory:)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 7:13 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
Is it even possible for chopped apples and nuts to cause food poisoning?

cut up fruit? you dont think it attracts bacteria?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics