Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Square K

happy mommy68

Post Fri, Jun 27 2008, 12:55 pm
Hi,

Has anyone heard of the square k hechksher? I got lox from Trader Joe's ...

Thanks!

mama-star

Post Fri, Jun 27 2008, 3:35 pm
it's from seattle, washington but I am not sure if it's a good hashgocha or not.

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Jun 28 2008, 9:06 pm
bump--- anyone else? it's on the organic montery jack at trader joes too..... ??

A Rabbi's name would help! Thanks!

TwinsMommy

Post Sat, Jun 28 2008, 9:14 pm
okidokee I looked em up.

the square K with the orc vertical next to it (on the organic montery jack) is....

Orthodox Rabbinical Council of San Francisco
1851 Noriega Street
P.O. Box 22491
San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 564-5665
orcsf@aol.com

and the square K which is plain (I guess that's the one on the lox? I didn't see the lox) is...

Kosher Services
P.O. Box 18915
Seattle, WA 98118
(206) 878-1065
Rabbi Moses Londinski

amother

Post Sat, Jun 28 2008, 10:32 pm
My husband works for one of the major kashrus organizations in the US and he said it is not a reliable hechsher.

mama-star

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 5:23 am
twinsmommy, I would like to know the site where you found the hashgochas on! it would be helpful to know where to look things up.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 5:36 am
Whenever I hear that a hechsher is unreliable, I want to hear the reason. It's just too easy for people associated with large certification organizations to spread these rumors, and when it's done, it's not just disparaging the hechsher itself but the rabbi or rabbis involved.

penina

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 4:45 pm
TwinsMommy wrote:
okidokee I looked em up.

the square K with the orc vertical next to it (on the organic montery jack) is....

Orthodox Rabbinical Council of San Francisco
1851 Noriega Street
P.O. Box 22491
San Francisco, CA 94122
(415) 564-5665
orcsf@aol.com

and the square K which is plain (I guess that's the one on the lox? I didn't see the lox) is...

Kosher Services
P.O. Box 18915
Seattle, WA 98118
(206) 878-1065
Rabbi Moses Londinski

I'd just like to point out that the square K is not on the Seattle Va'ad website for recommended symbols. Also, I called my rabbi (here, in Seattle) who told me that Rabbi Londinski has not lived in Seattle for the last 15 years. He told me the hechsher was "not recognized as reliable" by the va'ad. He did not specify any more details, though I asked for them.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 4:57 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Whenever I hear that a hechsher is unreliable, I want to hear the reason. It's just too easy for people associated with large certification organizations to spread these rumors, and when it's done, it's not just disparaging the hechsher itself but the rabbi or rabbis involved.

Sometimes people put their names on things for a small fee when there is no actual supervision. So if you rely on a hechsher because you want the production of the product supervised (to whatever extent-- like making sure they use the ingredients they say they are using) then you would not rely on this hechsher. If your standard has to do with a rabbi affirming that there are no non-kosher ingredients in the product as they claim to make it then you may rely on that hechsher.

My Trader Joe's lox is Kof-K

Edited to correct a grievous grammatical error.

Last edited by cassandra on Tue, Jul 15 2008, 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 5:24 pm
I see your point, but how do we know for sure? There are stories out there about the big guys trying to squash the little guys, and rumors do get spread in the community pretty easily.

When you say your lox are Kof-K, don't you mean it is Kof-K? Is lox plural? If it is, is it because the slices may come from multiple salmon? Or is it that you have many packages of Trader Joe's lox in your fridge? I really need to know.

mumoo

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 5:42 pm
a friend said she was told the vaad in SF has different standards for issues such as gay marriage, so their reliability is in question. if one can separate their kashrus supervision from other psakim, one might find their hechsher reliable Rolling Eyes

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 5:47 pm
There is a difference between the vaad of san francisco and the K-ORC that was listed here.

I just went to SF and I was told that the vaad is very reliable, whereas the K-ORC some people hold by, while others don't.

cassandra

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 5:49 pm
Clarissa wrote:

When you say your lox are Kof-K, don't you mean it is Kof-K? Is lox plural? If it is, is it because the slices may come from multiple salmon? Or is it that you have many packages of Trader Joe's lox in your fridge? I really need to know.

I stand corrected. Your dad would be proud.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 6:23 pm
cassandra wrote:
I stand corrected. Your dad would be proud.
That's the nicest thing anybody has said to me in a long time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen