Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would I be overreacting about a hipaa violation
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Am I too sensitive here?
Yes this is a hipaa violation  
 10%  [ 13 ]
Its fine chill out  
 90%  [ 117 ]
Total Votes : 130

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:41 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
This might be technically a violation but are you seriously planning to report it or take any action. That would make you a bit of a Karen in my opinion Very Happy

It is telling a family member something that most normal people would not consider to be private information and was done to be helpful and not to engage in yentaish gossip 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Not report it but I wanted to call and discuss it that I felt it shouldnt have happened.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:43 pm
effess wrote:
I’d be mad if it was the other way and he didn’t tell me, causing another family member the waste of time energy and money to make a trip to the dentist when the sister could have done it at no extra effort…

I wasn't given the nightgaurd to pass onto him second hand. I would find that even stranger. I was just told to pass on the message. I just feel that the dentist should have called my brother on his own phone and left me out of this but I am an overly sensitive and private person.

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 7:50 pm
I’m a very private person but a retainer is not at all a private thing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 8:10 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
I’m a very private person but a retainer is not at all a private thing.

Understood but its more about the principal. I guess I am the minority bothered by this though

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 8:25 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
Are you both under your parents' insurance?

Legally it doesn't matter. I can't hear about husband's medical info and he can't hear about mine--- unless we sign releases.

This is a hipaa violation. Would I make a big deal about it? Probably not. But I would likely let them know "hey, please call my brother/parents directly. I don't want to be responsible for letting them know as I often forget these things. And just so you know, it is a Hipaa violation so others might get upset if their information was shared like that..."

amother
Stone

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:03 pm
Complaining over this would definitely fall into the ‘being a Karen’ category.

Happydance

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:07 pm
Are you in the health care field?
I am, and am much more sensitive to what is hipaa and what isn’t

Fox

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:08 pm
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
Technically a violation but seriously, just let it go.
You know what else is a violation?
Im a nurse in a nursing home.
HIPAA used to make sense. Now its just overkill.
We can no longer post names in the name slots outside resident rooms. We can't label their wheelchair, because then when theyre in the hallway, outsiders can read their name. We got dinged by stare survey recently because we had "no blood pressure right arm" posted by the resident's bed-because if a well meaning visitor would visit and see that, that's HIPAA.
So we have wheelchair mixups all day long and are constantly running to check on the computer about every little detail that we used to have posted by their beds....find a resident unresponsive? Used to say DNR or FULL CODE by their bed-a 1 second look was all it took to confirm if we should start compressions. Now we have to go check their chart first.

Thanks for sharing this. I saw this in my mother's assisted care living facility, as well.

Ironically, HIPAA seems to be ignored when it's really needed and observed scrupulously when it actually compromises care.

I've had numerous situations like the poster upthread who specifically asked that she not be asked about a particular medication int he delivery room. It's as if putting something in your chart is useless most of the time. It makes me wonder what else is being ignored.

Then we have health care professionals spend valuable time tracking down wheelchairs or engaging in other tasks because we can't allow any unauthorized person to know you own a wheelchair.

I'm just impressed that all of you keep going into work!

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 9:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
I wasn't given the nightgaurd to pass onto him second hand. I would find that even stranger. I was just told to pass on the message. I just feel that the dentist should have called my brother on his own phone and left me out of this but I am an overly sensitive and private person.

I don’t see anything wrong. Really. You’re overreacting.

I was at an ob appt and the receptionist tells me that my sil was there earlier that day. That’s how I found out she’s pregnant back then…. I can post a few more similar stories. What you experienced is really not a big deal.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, Apr 30 2023, 10:12 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I don’t see anything wrong. Really. You’re overreacting.

I was at an ob appt and the receptionist tells me that my sil was there earlier that day. That’s how I found out she’s pregnant back then…. I can post a few more similar stories. What you experienced is really not a big deal.

There are so many reasons to go to an OB. I would never judge someone pregnant.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:23 am
True scenario: SIL and me have the same legal name. We've both been seen at a provider and needed a prescription from pharmacy. She needed birth control while I was going through I
Fertility treatment and needed fertility drugs.
It was actually exchanged to our home address!
THAT is an issue of HIPPA. We both hadn't known if each others 'issues' before.
We didn't make a big issue out of it, just called the pharmacy that they should be more vigilant.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 10:55 am
Generally dental work is not what most people would consider a private matter. My dentist has a screen that lists all patient names currently at the office, all visible to the waiting area. I found it strange at first but no one seems to care.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:22 pm
In addition to a HIPAA violation, I wouldn't appreciate it that they are handing off the responsibility of informing the brother about the pick up of the night guard. Just not professional all around. I probably wouldn't say anything - but would also be bothered like the OP.

tichellady

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:31 pm
amother Snapdragon wrote:
In addition to a HIPAA violation, I wouldn't appreciate it that they are handing off the responsibility of informing the brother about the pick up of the night guard. Just not professional all around. I probably wouldn't say anything - but would also be bothered like the OP.

agree.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:15 pm
When my son was born my parents were visiting in the hospital . I was really upset when I don’t even know who he was maybe a visiting physican? Came into the room and started telling me my son has hypospadies and would need an operation . I would never ever ever have told my parents about it ever ! They are the type to tell everyone and sure enough my uncle called
My hsuand to ask if we need help because he heard there is an issue . I was a few hours after a baby and I had zero interest in arguing with anyone but I was really really mad ! It was Friday so my husband had left to go her stuff for us for shabbos

amother
Petunia

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 3:23 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
When I was pregnant I went on antidepressants but I didn't tell my mother about it. I told the Dr before my birth that my mother will be there and they shouldn't mention anything about my medication. I told her that if anyone asks me what medications I'm on when my mother is in the room I will lie to them and not say anything about the antidepressants. The Dr agreed and made a note in the system. Fast forward when I was in labor the nurse asked me what medications I'm on and I lied and said nothing. They kept asking me again. And then they asked, are you still on ( the name of the medication) I said no, and I was so mad at them. My mom finally got the hint and left the room. I told the nurse that she wasn't supposed to ask me when my mom was there. Was that a hippa violation or if my mom is with me they can assume that I'm OK with it?

That’s a tough one, I don’t know if that was a hipaa violation but I can understand why you were upset.

singleagain

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 3:40 pm
amother Garnet wrote:
When I was pregnant I went on antidepressants but I didn't tell my mother about it. I told the Dr before my birth that my mother will be there and they shouldn't mention anything about my medication. I told her that if anyone asks me what medications I'm on when my mother is in the room I will lie to them and not say anything about the antidepressants. The Dr agreed and made a note in the system. Fast forward when I was in labor the nurse asked me what medications I'm on and I lied and said nothing. They kept asking me again. And then they asked, are you still on ( the name of the medication) I said no, and I was so mad at them. My mom finally got the hint and left the room. I told the nurse that she wasn't supposed to ask me when my mom was there. Was that a hippa violation or if my mom is with me they can assume that I'm OK with it?

Actually when I brought my mother with me to a recent Dr appointment. As soon as we were in the room they said "bc mom is here this is implied consent. But we will ask you to sign something after" it could be that if mom is with you this is implied consent. Might be a good idea to ask your doc

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 3:48 pm
I still remember (pre-HIPAA I am pretty sure) DH was coming in from a long trip & picking up DD at the dentist. I got a call from another patient's Mom if we can drive her daughter home.

It was highly inappropriate for the office to give out my number, and the person asking was missing a few social skills anyhow ... and would not accept when I told her DH is coming from a long trip & doing me a big favor to pick up DD, and I really can't ask him to make a detour.

So while some HIPAA (or FERPA) rules might seem trivial, and some might even be dangerous, there are some advantages to having your privacy respected, that's for sure!

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 4:33 pm
I think many posters are missing the point. In OP's case, it wasn't anything super private. But if this office routinely does these kinds of things, they will inevitably share confidential information they shouldn't be sharing, as evidenced by the many examples in this thread.

That's why I find it funny that posters are saying things like, "Yeah, you're overreacting, but let me tell you what happened to me... "and then they tell a story that could have been prevented if the provider was careful with privacy.

I think reporting them, especially in this case with no harm done, would be overreacting.
But to politely tell them that this bothered you and to please refrain in the future is appropriate in my opinion. Also, their response will be telling. If they brush off your concerns and tell you you're a Karen, reconsider using them. If they apologize and tell you what they will do to avoid it in the future, well, please share their info - I might want to patronize such a professional office!!

I'm in the healthcare field, if that's relevant.
And I am exceedingly careful with sharing any info, precisely because our families and communities are so close-knit.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 02 2023, 5:30 pm
amother Linen wrote:
I think many posters are missing the point. In OP's case, it wasn't anything super private. But if this office routinely does these kinds of things, they will inevitably share confidential information they shouldn't be sharing, as evidenced by the many examples in this thread.

That's why I find it funny that posters are saying things like, "Yeah, you're overreacting, but let me tell you what happened to me... "and then they tell a story that could have been prevented if the provider was careful with privacy.

I think reporting them, especially in this case with no harm done, would be overreacting.
But to politely tell them that this bothered you and to please refrain in the future is appropriate in my opinion. Also, their response will be telling. If they brush off your concerns and tell you you're a Karen, reconsider using them. If they apologize and tell you what they will do to avoid it in the future, well, please share their info - I might want to patronize such a professional office!!

I'm in the healthcare field, if that's relevant.
And I am exceedingly careful with sharing any info, precisely because our families and communities are so close-knit.

Thats my point exactly. I dont want to get anyone in trouble or be a karen but I really dont want to be hearing about my brother's nightgaurd, my grandfather's gum surgery, or that my mom had a unexpected unplanned pregnancy after 25 years from the family dentist. That means the dentist is sharing my information with other family members too you know?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette