Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Anyone else disappointed that it’s over Shabbos & not 3d YT
Previous  1  2  3  Next

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:07 pm
I am so happy that most chagim are one day here. This being a 2 day in Israel will feel extra long.
I do not miss 3 day chagim at all.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:27 pm
Shavuos never falls out Thurs,Fri and then Shabbos. When Shavuos is a 3 day YT it's a Shabbos erev YT and then Sun and Mon.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:31 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I am so happy that most chagim are one day here. This being a 2 day in Israel will feel extra long.

Interesting. My friends who made aliyah tell me the only two day yom tov they miss is Shavuos. The whole staying up all night thing really affects the day after, mamy people don't want to have or be company because of the unpredictability of schedules, etc, it's over before they blink, etc.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:32 pm
I think it’s so cool that it goes straight into Memorial Day weekend. So I’ll get to enjoy Yom Tov even though I never relax Yom Tov and then I’ll get to truly relax immediately after the Yom Tov clean up with no work Sunday or Monday.

Elfrida

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:34 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

The years when Rosh HaShana is three days are enough to remind us of what it was like in chutz l'aretz, and hive us an extra reason to be glad we live in Israel!

Shavuos is the only one day Yom Tov without Chol haMoed attached somewhere. It can be over very quickly, but I don't normally miss the second day.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:34 pm
Three day yom tovs are extremely hard on my mental health. We don’t get to choose, but I’m happy when it comes out this way.

happytobemom

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:39 pm
Can't say I'm disappointed, but I do love a 3 day Yom Tov

amother
Fern

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:45 pm
Nope! Glad just 2 days.

little neshamala

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:57 pm
OP youre not the only one. I love 3 day YT. Love love love.
I'd gladly take a 4 or 5 day YT

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 3:59 pm
little neshamala wrote:
OP youre not the only one. I love 3 day YT. Love love love.
I'd gladly take a 4 or 5 day YT

Me too!
Every week I ask my DH if we can just not make havdalah and keep Shabbos until Tuesday 😊

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 4:03 pm
I also love love a 3 day yt. Although with shavuos we always have school and work next day which is hard after a late night post yt so this will be nice to have Sunday.
in UK we go straight into a bank holiday and then half term all week after yt so a real break with no pressures BH.
Either way it comes, love love yt and shabbos bh

Raisin

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 4:10 pm
Not sure why you can't have a milchig lunch on shabbos? Its a loooong day, long enought to have a really nice milchig lunch or kiddush, and later wash and eat something fleishig, either a few hours later or at lunch time. You can just be yotzei and have challah and a small peice of meat, or eat some nice fleishig when actually hungry.

kenz

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 4:13 pm
Not even a little bit.
I do love the two days of yom tov, but three in a row in hot weather, no showers? No thanks.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 4:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess I’m the only one ☹️.
I will be running in from work Thursday afternoon, hurrying to get ready for YT. Make Eruv tavshilin. Spend all Friday cooking for Shabbos.
With 3 days, once I light I am free until Friday afternoon.
I can also make more dairy things that I love because we have more meals to eat them. I also have more time with my family when it is YT and not a day off to do errands while they are doing their own thing.

Why not cook now and utilize your freezer? No need for spend all of the YT day on Friday cooking. That's no fun!

amother
Gray

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 4:54 pm
I was also disappointed a little..but practically speaking it is much better that it's not.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 6:50 pm
I would prefer 2 day yom tov mid week….
What I definitely would not prefer is 1 day yom tov! Too short for me!

samantha1

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 10:49 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
I am always disappointed when YT coincides with Shabbos, I always feel gypt, like I'm losing out on a special day because it's doubled up. But I'm one who loves YT in all forms, I don't mind 3 day YT and I don't mind when YT is over on Thursday night and then Shabbos, etc. This is my worst type I guess, when I miss out by overlapping with Shabbos. (I also feel really bad for Israelis when a 1-day YT falls on Shabbos. Then they really are "gyped".

100%agree

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 10:52 pm
Not disappointed at all! And love how it comes out over shabbos...less cooking and then I'm off Sunday to clean up.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, May 09 2023, 11:10 pm
amother Olive wrote:
Interesting. My friends who made aliyah tell me the only two day yom tov they miss is Shavuos. The whole staying up all night thing really affects the day after, mamy people don't want to have or be company because of the unpredictability of schedules, etc, it's over before they blink, etc.
Not the case in my community. Weve been guests snd been gosts on that day. Smile

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, May 10 2023, 12:14 am
No way! 3 day yt I have to make an effort to smile. I need my nightly hot showers and shaved legs. Cooking for 3 day yt is like climbing mount everest. I do it because I have no choice but I majorly dislike it. I was so happy to see the calendar set up for shavuos. I can't wait to check out tishrei! What a relief. I almost drowned the past two tishreis.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics