Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Monsey schools - getting in and asking for tuition breaks
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 8:51 pm
I know 2 people who paid money to get into chassidish schools in Monsey. One paid 20k, the other 50k. Two different schools. Young families, neither of which have money, and they were both trying to get into schools that make sense for them hashkafficaly etc.
I'm not saying it's the only way people get into schools, we all know many people who get into schools without paying. But to hear people say they've never heard about such a thing and that it doesnt happen in Monsey is surprising to me.

Emuna360

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 9:26 pm
You people are scaring me for my grandchildren. My son is in colel and will be for a long time and I don't have money to help much. Do I have to worry now? No I'm giving it up to God

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:37 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I know 2 people who paid money to get into chassidish schools in Monsey. One paid 20k, the other 50k. Two different schools. Young families, neither of which have money, and they were both trying to get into schools that make sense for them hashkafficaly etc.
I'm not saying it's the only way people get into schools, we all know many people who get into schools without paying. But to hear people say they've never heard about such a thing and that it doesnt happen in Monsey is surprising to me.

They offered money or the were asked for money?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 10:38 pm
Emuna360 wrote:
You people are scaring me for my grandchildren. My son is in colel and will be for a long time and I don't have money to help much. Do I have to worry now? No I'm giving it up to God

I wouldn't be so worried. Schools love serious Kollel guys.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Aug 29 2023, 11:19 pm
I am from a specific chassidas and my husband doesn't belong.

6 years ago we paid 10k to get our child into a chassidish school. NO WE DID NOT OFFER! They wanted it aside from tuition money but my husband put his foot down, it's 1 year tuition money paid upfront. Bh at the end they gave in.

Settling with a more left or even more right wing school just because they give you an easier way in and don't ask for a 'down payment', would have to be evaluated. We as parents and my kids as students need to feel comfortable in our surroundings. Things have to make sense.

When I had a meeting with our principal, she was very understanding and accepting of my answers to questions she asked. Bh my kids are loved and very well taken care of in their school.

I know it hurts to feel, for money you're good. But tbh, the teachers and principals have no clue which parent paid what or what not to get in. It's all the hanhala and administration.

Op, I would advise you start out with paying regular tuition and a few months in ask for a break. Unless you get an easy pass in, maybe then you can ask for it right away.

Good luck
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children