Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
ABA career
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jun 07 2023, 11:49 pm
I heard, don't know if it's true, that insurance will be cracking down on ABA therapy. It's a big money making business and insurance is catching on.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:08 am
Look into Columbia:
https://www.tc.columbia.edu/he.....ysis/

amother
Calendula

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:12 am
Cressel68 wrote:
I can't believe she was sitting on her phone while being paid to work as a para in the classroom. That is completely unacceptable!

I work in a school but not aba. To be fair, most students don't need their para to be interacting with them 100% of the time. If the class is davening, fir example, the para may be on her phone in the back. But what exactly should she be doing during that time?
Most paras are not slacking off, and work very well with their students and accomplish a lot. But there are times of the day when they are not needed as much.

Cressel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:12 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
Look into Columbia:
https://www.tc.columbia.edu/he.....ysis/

Isn't Columbia hard to get into?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:17 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
I heard, don't know if it's true, that insurance will be cracking down on ABA therapy. It's a big money making business and insurance is catching on.

They are already. But I doubt they can just stop it all.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:20 am
Cressel68 wrote:
I am looking more for answers to the questions in my beginning then about inexperienced people who don't do their job properly....

I'd never do anything like the the aba paras in those unfortunate stories.

I am looking for info on the ABA career so that I can become an ABA therapist who is NOT like that.

My questions for people in the field are:

Essential Traits and Skills: In your experience, what traits and skills are essential for excelling in this career? What qualities contribute to being an effective ABA therapist?

Last, what is the hardest part of being an ABA therapist?

Dh is an BCBA. Most importantly, you need good communication skills. You need to build cooperation with the child, paras, teachers, parents, principals. It a lot of back and forth and problem solving all hours of the day.

On the other hand you need to be organized with your billing and paperwork. Assessments are no joke and they keep getting harder.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:36 am
Cressel68 wrote:
Isn't Columbia hard to get into?

Yes, but you never know. Never hurts to try.

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 12:39 am
I work for an ABA company. The parents who send definitely do like ABA, they wouldn’t be requesting it if not.
The pay is dependent on your experience but pays nicely. The biggest downside is that it is per diem so if a client cancels you don’t get paid.
The training is simple, you come for a 2/3 hour training and watch a remote training also.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:38 pm
What is an aba "para" Is that an ABA therapist without a masters?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:42 pm
AbA is awful. Become a floortime therapist.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 1:45 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
I work for an ABA company. The parents who send definitely do like ABA, they wouldn’t be requesting it if not.
The pay is dependent on your experience but pays nicely. The biggest downside is that it is per diem so if a client cancels you don’t get paid.
The training is simple, you come for a 2/3 hour training and watch a remote training also.

Except for all those parents that are told by the school that they must get a para for their kids. I know many many parents like that (And sometimes even send them for sham autism diagnosis-but that’s another can of worms)

Cressel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 2:33 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
Dh is an BCBA. Most importantly, you need good communication skills. You need to build cooperation with the child, paras, teachers, parents, principals. It a lot of back and forth and problem solving all hours of the day.

On the other hand you need to be organized with your billing and paperwork. Assessments are no joke and they keep getting harder.

Thank you! This is so helpful

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 2:38 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Except for all those parents that are told by the school that they must get a para for their kids. I know many many parents like that (And sometimes even send them for sham autism diagnosis-but that’s another can of worms)

That was us. Our psychologist (who is also a BCBA) told us to stay away from ABA as it wasn't the right fit for him. School forced us to do it. I wanted him to learn independence in the classroom and not have someone there so I was happier if the para was doing nothing... finally got school to agree to stop services after para did nothing for a month.

Cressel

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:40 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
That was us. Our psychologist (who is also a BCBA) told us to stay away from ABA as it wasn't the right fit for him. School forced us to do it. I wanted him to learn independence in the classroom and not have someone there so I was happier if the para was doing nothing... finally got school to agree to stop services after para did nothing for a month.

I'm assuming then that actual ABA therapists that work in an office rather than being a para in a school is more effective, is that a correct assumption?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Jun 08 2023, 5:50 pm
Cressel68 wrote:
I'm assuming then that actual ABA therapists that work in an office rather than being a para in a school is more effective, is that a correct assumption?

No, the ABA approach wasn't appropriate for him

amother
Clear

Post Sat, Jun 10 2023, 10:17 pm
amother Cappuccino wrote:
No, the ABA approach wasn't appropriate for him

I think the OP is looking more for answers to her questions on the career path than various stories of kids who didn't need ABA.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 12:00 am
Go to an information session for the Columbia ABA program. You'll get many more answers even if you don't end up going there.

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 6:47 pm
Bump

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 9:47 am
Hey started a different thread but didnt see replies and thought maybe anyone on this thread could clarify these questions for me.
TIA

Could someone clarify how these ABA agencies, BCBAs, Paras bill insurance and make money
How much is insurance billed per hour and of that, how much does the agency take home? how much does the agency pay the para? how much does the BCBA make?

Imagine it differs based on agencies etc...but if possible to share whatever range or information you know and could share.

Fidelis/Rockland County

Thank you

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 25 2023, 10:01 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Hey started a different thread but didnt see replies and thought maybe anyone on this thread could clarify these questions for me.
TIA

Could someone clarify how these ABA agencies, BCBAs, Paras bill insurance and make money
How much is insurance billed per hour and of that, how much does the agency take home? how much does the agency pay the para? how much does the BCBA make?

Imagine it differs based on agencies etc...but if possible to share whatever range or information you know and could share.

Fidelis/Rockland County

Thank you

It different with each insurance. In general, The agency handles all the money. They pay the bcba $100+ sometimes more than they get from insurance. They make the money on the paras for which they bill up to $100 and pay them up to $50/hour.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics