Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Dinosaurs and Evolution
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

iluvy

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:44 am
#BestBubby wrote:
posters are saying that the six days of creation could have been billions of years.

That a day did not have to literally 24 hours.

״כי אלף שנים בעיניך כיום אתמול״

Just One

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:45 am
my mama wrote:
Well, there are the Neanderthals, I'm not sure if there is actual proof of them existing, but I've read a couple of interesting articles about them

On that note I recently saw an article that there is proof that Neanderthals and humans had se×, I learned in school that one of the reasons for the Mabel was interspecies se×, I.e. different animals, humans and animals, and humans and giants. And one of the major issues with the humans and giants having se× was that when a human woman got pregnant she needed to abort because her body was not large enough to handle the pregnancy, and it was happening so often that the streets were littered with aborted fetuses.

Neanderthals are fascinating. They went extinct less than 15,000 years ago so we have lots of remains and actual DNA. Not just fossils as with older species.
Neanderthals weren't giants. They were shorter and stockier than humans alive today. They were bigger boned but would be able to blend in as a typical (kinda ugly) homo sapien today.
We know that humans and Neanderthal interbred because we all share some of their DNA.

Just One

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:52 am
my mama wrote:
My child is obsessed with dinosaurs and we went to the Museum of Natural History to see the fossils and it was so fascinating.

I came up with a couple of theories to reconcile science with the Torah (not the other way around).

1. They say some dinosaurs were already extinct by the time the later dinosaurs 'evolved'. We know that time and space is a creation like any other, meaning that the first "Friday" when Hashem created the animals might have been millions of years in our times.

2. The same goes for fish and sharks and whatnot. Science claims that sea life was around millions of years before any land mammals. They were created on "Thursday" which according to my first point could have lasted for millions of years.

3. The fact that the world appears to be billions of years old could have two reasons, A) Hashen did not create a brand new baby world. The world was created already matured, the trees were already bearing fruit etc. B) the Mabul aged the world greatly as well.

Your third theory is the only one that makes sense to me. The way I see it, Hashem created the world and everything in it along with their history.

Just as the first trees were fully grown and had you cut them down in year one of creation you would've found evidence of rainy years and dry years, so too, the world comes along with a history that is billions of years old.

preciousmommy

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:56 am
my mama wrote:
Well, there are the Neanderthals, I'm not sure if there is actual proof of them existing, but I've read a couple of interesting articles about them

On that note I recently saw an article that there is proof that Neanderthals and humans had se×, I learned in school that one of the reasons for the Mabel was interspecies se×, I.e. different animals, humans and animals, and humans and giants. And one of the major issues with the humans and giants having se× was that when a human woman got pregnant she needed to abort because her body was not large enough to handle the pregnancy, and it was happening so often that the streets were littered with aborted fetuses.

Not really understanding how a human woman gets pregnant from a giant in the first place… Hiding

preciousmommy

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:58 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Hahaha
I think it was the family of Golias (that's why I said orpah I know there's a connection between them) I need to look this up

What I think I learned is that when Orpah left Naami she went to the other extreme and slept with 100 men that night. Somehow from those encounters she became pregnant with Golias.

keym

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 10:58 am
Just One wrote:
Your third theory is the only one that makes sense to me. The way I see it, Hashem created the world and everything in it along with their history.

Just as the first trees were fully grown and had you cut them down in year one you would've found evidence of rainy years and dry years, so to the world comes along with a history that is billions of years old.

Years ago, I remember reading a fascinating article (I don't recall by who) but the basic claim was that Adam and Chava were created looking EXACTLY like modern day humans including with a navel.
So looking at them, one could presume that they were born like you or I (ina mothers womb, attached by an umbilical cord, when the cord gets cut and dried, it creates the belly button as we know it) even though we know they weren't.

That's similar to the premise of those First Trees being created with rings marking a growth history

BatyaEsther

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 11:00 am
preciousmommy wrote:
Not really understanding how a human woman gets pregnant from a giant in the first place… Hiding

When a mommy and a daddy love each other very much…..

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

imamommy5

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 11:57 am
my mama wrote:
My child is obsessed with dinosaurs and we went to the Museum of Natural History to see the fossils and it was so fascinating.

I came up with a couple of theories to reconcile science with the Torah (not the other way around).

1. They say some dinosaurs were already extinct by the time the later dinosaurs 'evolved'. We know that time and space is a creation like any other, meaning that the first "Friday" when Hashem created the animals might have been millions of years in our times.

2. The same goes for fish and sharks and whatnot. Science claims that sea life was around millions of years before any land mammals. They were created on "Thursday" which according to my first point could have lasted for millions of years.

3. The fact that the world appears to be billions of years old could have two reasons, A) Hashen did not create a brand new baby world. The world was created already matured, the trees were already bearing fruit etc. B) the Mabul aged the world greatly as well.

I believe all. Plus another one.
Adam and chava were way bigger than us now. Same with the animals. So what your looking at as a huge dinosaur could be a modern day snake or even ant.
The fact that a chicken has the same bone structure as the t-rex says something.

farmom

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 1:06 pm
preciousmommy wrote:
What I think I learned is that when Orpah left Naami she went to the other extreme and slept with 100 men that night. Somehow from those encounters she became pregnant with Golias.

I learned this too. Although I don't understand the correlation - why does intimacy with loads of people equal giving birth to a giant?

BH Yom Yom

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 4:25 pm
farmom wrote:
I learned this too. Although I don't understand the correlation - why does intimacy with loads of people equal giving birth to a giant?

Maybe some Orpah’s zex partners that night were giants?

(OT but why any woman would willingly subject herself to that amount of zex in a night is beyond me.)

BH Yom Yom

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 4:26 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
When a mommy and a daddy love each other very much…..

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

LOL LOL LOL

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:08 pm
Just One wrote:

Just as the first trees were fully grown and had you cut them down in year one of creation you would've found evidence of rainy years and dry years, so too, the world comes along with a history that is billions of years old.

This what I believe too.

The world was fully formed with so called fossil fuels, mountains, rotting vegetation, diamonds. Etc.

Just like Adam and chava were created adults and not new born babies.

A scientist would say " of course Adam and Chava are over 20 years old, they are fully formed."

So too the world can seem billions year old even If less than 6,000 years old.

naomi2

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 6:26 pm
What I get out of this thread is that I don't understand anything at all. I was taught all the things in the original post in school. Nothing really makes sense to me and none of these theories on their own can answer all the questions. I'm ok with knowing that I don't understand any of this and that I don't necessarily have to believe all these medrashim and theories. I trust that hashem created the world in 7 separate times and rested on shobbos. He continues to recreate the world into existence every second and my job is to become a better person while keeping the Torah as guidlines.
I'm ok with not understanding or believing anything from this thread and still believing I'm a good Jew. I don't want to twist my mind into a pretzel to try to make everything fit, because it won't

ectomorph

Post Fri, Jun 30 2023, 7:40 pm
preciousmommy wrote:

Is there a source for this?

farmom

Post Sat, Jul 01 2023, 9:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Is there a source for this?

Mishna rabba

naomi2

Post Sat, Jul 01 2023, 11:13 pm
Does having. A source for this really make it more believable to you? Even with a source I can't wrap my head around it. Even with a source, I don't take the words literally.

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Jul 01 2023, 11:14 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Does having. A source for this really make it more believable to you? Even with a source I can't wrap my head around it. Even with a source, I don't take the words literally.

There are legitimate views that midrashim are not necessarily to be taken literally. This is the view that makes the most sense to me....

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Jul 01 2023, 11:22 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
posters are saying that the six days of creation could have been billions of years.

That a day did not have to literally 24 hours.

Why are you so sure each day was literally 24 hours? I’ve heard many sources that say each day was much longer than that . What is wrong with believing that ? It’s not anti Torah at all.

EMEN

Post Sun, Jul 02 2023, 12:24 am
https://aish.com/the-age-of-th.....ives/

my mama

Post Sun, Jul 02 2023, 3:07 pm
naomi2 wrote:
What I get out of this thread is that I don't understand anything at all. I was taught all the things in the original post in school. Nothing really makes sense to me and none of these theories on their own can answer all the questions. I'm ok with knowing that I don't understand any of this and that I don't necessarily have to believe all these medrashim and theories. I trust that hashem created the world in 7 separate times and rested on shobbos. He continues to recreate the world into existence every second and my job is to become a better person while keeping the Torah as guidlines.
I'm ok with not understanding or believing anything from this thread and still believing I'm a good Jew. I don't want to twist my mind into a pretzel to try to make everything fit, because it won't

I don't have to understand, but thinking and asking questions are literally what we're all about. There is nothing wrong with wanting to understand, only when you (general you) , refuse to accept that you can't understand is where things can start to get hinky.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics