Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Can someone explain to me?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 4:10 pm
My daughter finished 3rd grade this year and was sent to sleepaway camp. The camp we chose only has a 4 week option (the boys go 2nd half) and I really wish she can stay all summer. She already begged me to sign her up again for next summer. Oh, and we can't afford it. Not by a long stretch. but obviously there are personal dynamics in play. My older kids work at sleepaway camps so she'd be the only one home - last summer was a disaster. We work full time and she wanted to be entertained, go on trips, and have fun.

I'm also burnt out like nobody's business. I need a break from mothering for a bit, and I'll take this month if that's what I can get. The cost of a month at camp, while still exorbitant, pales in comparison to the price tag of repairing my sanity.

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 4:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Why modox/rich send their kids to sleepaway camp at 7/8 years old for the entire summer?
I would never ever look at this as a money thing, since rich shouldn’t have to do with sending away such young kids for so long. A good friend of mines 7 year old is in camp for 8 weeks-, yes, she can afford to, but why would she want to?
Why would ANY parent be ok with sending away a 7 year old for an entire summer ?
I find this mindset very popular amongst modox.
Of course a big answer why typical yeshivish people don’t send so young is because they can’t afford it but that’s not what I’m commenting on. I’m saying in general, the idea of a 7 year old (or even 8 or 9 year old) being ready to be away from their parents so long, boggled my mind.

I don't understand the question.

Why should a parent be NOT okay with it, assuming the child is happy with the arrangement.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 4:47 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
RWMO here married sephardi (for reference)

Just sent my youngest at 9 yo (just finished grade 3) to a Bnei Akiva camp for the first time.

For reference, my oldest went to camp for the first time at age 12 years ago.
I think it helps that my 9 yo has older siblings at the same camp. The older ones are staying for 6 weeks (no 8 week option) and the 9 year old is staying 2 weeks.

Also for reference, kids can go to this particular camp starting after grade 2 (so usually 8 years old, although there may be a few 7 year olds also, turning 8 a bit later).

Is this in the usa?

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 4:49 pm
amother Rose wrote:
Is this in the usa?

Not her - but this sounds like the Moshava near Toronto.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 5:09 pm
I went to Camp Ramah (scandalous, I know) at 7
BUT, until that point my mother had been the camp nurse, so I had been going as a staff kid for several years and that first year going as an actual camper, my brother was a counselor, so I did sort of have somemone looking out for me

Highstrung

Post Wed, Jul 19 2023, 5:12 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
How long ago was this? I remember about 20, 25, years ago some camps had a 2nd & 3rd grade bunk combined.

This was around 25 years ago. I forget that I’m ancient. It feels like I was just in camp myself

strawberry cola

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 1:53 am
Amother Dark Khaki, would you share the title of the book you mentioned? Thanks

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jan 31 2024, 2:10 am
amother Powderblue wrote:
No chassidish camp starts before end of 6th or 7th grade. Mostly 7th.

Chassidish boys often start camp at 10 years old.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps