Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Why obsession with trader joes? fruits/veg by item not
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 9:55 pm
amother Navyblue wrote:
As long as you realize most of their food is junk - enjoy!

Most store bought food is less than optimal, but not necessarily junk.

amother
Holly

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:08 pm
We are totally not the "hype" type. We do what we like and forget about "what's done" a lot of time in terms of food/menu.
We get their chocolate chips, marshmallows in season, and the Chile lime chip things my kids obsess about. We get some other random stuff there... during RH for covid (which was 2 RHs given lockdowns where we live) it was the only place we could find pomegranates- so random!

Oh, and their Babka when we want a bought dessert!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:20 am
amother OP wrote:
weight? I've never heard of stores selling fruits and vegetables like bananas, peaches, peppers by item rather than weight. Why are people so obsessed with trader joes? Prices for fruits and veggies are very expensive because they charge per fruit or per vegetable. Even regular items, I don't understand what the big deal is?

Freshest produce. Well priced organic produce. Very nice and well priced flowers. Great relaxed atmosphere. Easy return policy

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:37 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
I love their fruits. We just had the most delicious watermelon. It was 3.99 for a whole small watermelon- it was fresh and delicious and better priced than it would be elsewhere. Good prices on cherries and peaches as well. Each week things are priced differently.

I also love some of their snacks, frozen veggie burgers, and other random stuff. And their flowers. White hydrangeas last for 2 shabbosim! I buy on Thursday and they last for 2 shabbosim.

I dunno, I just paid less than that for a large watermelon in Shoprite, and it was fresh and sweet and delicious. I don't find that TJ's prices are so awesome. When we are in the area, though, we stop in for their chocolate sunflower cups - heaven! - and their spice blends. And of course those fish-shaped gummies.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:58 am
I grew up with Trader Joe’s, we bought most snack items there. It’s not a hype, it’s just a good store for a lot of products
I still go at least once a month and stock up on the specific things I like

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:09 am
Chayalle wrote:
I dunno, I just paid less than that for a large watermelon in Shoprite, and it was fresh and sweet and delicious. I don't find that TJ's prices are so awesome. When we are in the area, though, we stop in for their chocolate sunflower cups - heaven! - and their spice blends. And of course those fish-shaped gummies.

We like those too. They have foods not available anywhere else. It's very far from where I live and I only went once. But I wish it was closer. Their bamba is also the cheapest.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:11 am
I like to go every so often and do a huge stock up on the snacks. I don't buy much produce there personally but my kids always look forward to the stuff we get from there.
I used to go special for the ice cream but that's in the past now. Very Happy Popcorn

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:52 am
Yeah, I forgot about the TJ’s ice cream, that’s also really good! Especially the chocolate cherry soy ice cream, which I haven’t seen in a while but I hope it comes back soon.

The checkout staff are always so friendly and accommodating, which I really appreciate.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 5:59 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Yeah, I forgot about the TJ’s ice cream, that’s also really good! Especially the chocolate cherry soy ice cream, which I haven’t seen in a while but I hope it comes back soon.

The checkout staff are always so friendly and accommodating, which I really appreciate.

I think they are discontinued

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 6:02 am
Chayalle wrote:

I’m going to TJ anyway for the flowers and chili lime chips and not heading out to shop rite. The 3.99 watermelon was better than the Jewish supermarket.

A large watermelon is too big for my family of 5. So this was perfect for us.

writinggirl

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 7:45 am
OP, if you want a full breakdown on why TJ is so successful and popular, Freakonomics has a great podcast episode about it.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 7:51 am
amother Peach wrote:
I think they are discontinued

Oh no Crying

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 7:54 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
I’m going to TJ anyway for the flowers and chili lime chips and not heading out to shop rite. The 3.99 watermelon was better than the Jewish supermarket.

A large watermelon is too big for my family of 5. So this was perfect for us.

My family of 5 can finish half a big watermelon in a day, and the other half the next....Smile Fruit lovers here. And we didn't enjoy the chili lime chips.

Enjoy the flowers! Shoprite is closer to my house.....

blueiz

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:21 am
Aside from the food, stores like TJs are liked because there isn't an overwhelming amount of choice like there is in others (Shoprite, Giant, Publix, etc.) and therefore your brain is less exhausted by the time you're done. Pretty much everything is TJ brand, and there's usually max 2 types of any one thing, so the decision is made before you walk in.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:40 am
I get spices, snacks, skincare, and all sorts of stuff there that I brought back to Israel or have friends or family brng to me.

cupcake123

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 9:43 am
For real good deals on fruits and vegetables try aldis. I go to TD honestly for the fun. You come home with a bunch of random interesting items.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:04 am
I go for the flowers and our favorite must- have item- sunflower seed chocolate!!

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 10:47 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
As long as you realize most of their food is junk - enjoy!

Same as every grocery store ! Most food nowadays is junk.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 1:32 pm
I also wonder why people shop there.
I shop there weekly for produce because we buy organic and they're cheaper than other organic places.
I always see women filling up their carts with flowers and random groceries and it makes me wonder.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Sep 04 2023, 4:12 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
I also wonder why people shop there.
I shop there weekly for produce because we buy organic and they're cheaper than other organic places.
I always see women filling up their carts with flowers and random groceries and it makes me wonder.

that's probably me! next time, say hello!!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics