Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Teaching while wearing a heart monitor
Previous  1  2

amother
Sage

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 11:22 am
Will a lightweight scarf camouflage it?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 8:54 pm
amother Sage wrote:
Will a lightweight scarf camouflage it?

Not really. It would maybe cover the monitor so people won’t see it blinking but the wires and electrodes are on the other side so it would be a big area to try and cover.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 8:57 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Kids can handle more then we think. One of my boys when he was in 1st grade had a very sick classmate who ultimately was niftar. My current 1st grader also has a classmate who is not well but he is k'ah able to come to school and is doing okay. In both situations my kids just took the info the rebbeim gave and moved on no one dwelled on it.

If your school has a social worker or guidance counselor I would ask them how to address it. Also chai lifeline gave the school a lot of ideas how to best discuss topics with kids and keep it drama free. Especially if there is any likelyhood you will have surgery during the school year its good to have at least one person who you can trust to talk to about it because your classes will want to know if your out long term.

Thats a good idea. It’s not exactly a secret that I am not in the best of health, but it’s also different than sharing all the details with 40 young kids. I like the idea of just mentioning that I have to wear it without discussing details and let people make whatever assumptions they want.
My students have been ok with me being hospitalized in the past, they don’t seem to really understand. To them, it’s just like oh morah was sick for 2 weeks but now she is better.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Sep 07 2023, 8:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thats a good idea. It’s not exactly a secret that I am not in the best of health, but it’s also different than sharing all the details with 40 young kids. I like the idea of just mentioning that I have to wear it without discussing details and let people make whatever assumptions they want.
My students have been ok with me being hospitalized in the past, they don’t seem to really understand. To them, it’s just like oh morah was sick for 2 weeks but now she is better.

There's no need to discuss details. Let them know there's a machine there and mentions all things that'll be noticeable to them- bump, wires, flash, beeps
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics