Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
It’s September 11 today…
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

NechaMom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:01 pm
I saw a clip today of hatzalah members on the scene and one coughing very badly and needing oxygen.
I read that some members tragically died later of diseases due to 9/11.
So heartbreaking.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:03 pm
Mommyflower wrote:
Could you see it from your classroom or did they have the news on? How did the teachers explain what had happened to the children? We struggled with how to tell our children who were a number of years younger than you at the time.

We couldn't see it from our school. I was young so the memories are vague, but I think they told us very briefly what happened. And then we were led unto buses to go home.
Most of the info I got was from the radio and hearing my parents and older siblings speak about it.
For months my friends and I were traumatized, thinking Bin Laden is hiding out in a tunnel under our home.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:04 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Yes. The jumpers. I saw them clearly. Horrific. Traumatic. Out of a horror movie.

The first death of a first responder that day was a firefighter hit by a jumper.

Queen Of Hearts

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:06 pm
Seeing videos of those mighty towers implode...chills.
And the people who jumped Crying

Rappel

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:09 pm
I remember.

I was a child, so my strongest impressions at the time were things related to the main story ,- the reactions of the adults around me, the news, the ashy papers snowing down for weeks, the missing persons signs, the American flags we counted on our way to school, and the images of the crying eagles.

At the time, I was just curious and taking it all in. But today, I can't watch a video about it without crying over the pain and fear of everyone.

Israeli

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:34 pm
I was 11 at the time and remember my principal coming into the classroom and saying there was a plane accident and we should say tehillim. I'm pretty sure we had a regular day of school after that and didn't find out anything until I got home and saw my parents had taken their old TV out of the attic storage and were watching it like hawks.

For days we had papers floating through the air and landing all around the neighborhood.

That following summer I went to camp and became friendly with a girl who lost her father in the wtc. She was still in the year of aveilus but unfortunately they hadn't been able to bring her father to kevura yet.

I watched a documentary today about George Bush and his experiences that day. He said eventually 9/11 will become a day like pearl harbor but those of us who lived through it are forever changed. I think he is correct.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:37 pm
Israeli wrote:
I was 11 at the time and remember my principal coming into the classroom and saying there was a plane accident and we should say tehillim. I'm pretty sure we had a regular day of school after that and didn't find out anything until I got home and saw my parents had taken their old TV out of the attic storage and were watching it like hawks.

For days we had papers floating through the air and landing all around the neighborhood.

That following summer I went to camp and became friendly with a girl who lost her father in the wtc. She was still in the year of aveilus but unfortunately they hadn't been able to bring her father to kevura yet.

I watched a documentary today about George Bush and his experiences that day. He said eventually 9/11 will become a day like pearl harbor but those of us who lived through it are forever changed. I think he is correct.

I remember watching Bush talk at the site. The firefighters broken down in tears and sobs.
Unbelievable. We went to ground zero as soon as it was open to the public, we walked the streets in the area. It felt so eerie and creepy.

ap

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 10:47 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Heavy smoke covered the city for days. It looked like a war.
Did you live in Manhattan

I was young at the time
Thinking of it now as a adult is terrifying

Last edited by ap on Tue, Sep 12 2023, 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:18 pm
I lived in BP and chassidish men came collecting and said Rabbonim said everyone should give a donation to the families of firemen/police who died on 9/11.

I also remember most chasdidim/yeshivish flew American flags from homes and cars to show solidarity.

maestro

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:30 pm
I just finished watching Esteezonline interview friedy and roizy guttman about that day. I have chills. So inspiring. She was spared that day.

Sharing the link: https://attendee.gotowebinar.c.....63452 so meaningful before rosh Hashana.

cheese cake

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:32 pm
My classroom window had a view of the towers and I remember looking out and all we saw was smoke where the towers used to be. I also remember everyone putting flags on their cars to show solidarity.

ramateshkolmom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:35 pm
It’s crazy to think that it was 22 years ago.
I remember collecting pieces of burnt paper and the smell of smoke that didn’t leave for days. I remember watching it on the tv my parents took out. I remember the teachers walking around crying. I was in 3rd grade and the memories are hazy but every time I smell a real fire, my mind goes back to those few days where we walked around finding ash and waiting for the missing people to come back. My uncle and grandmother were missing for more than a day as they worked in the city and they were waiting for the tunnels to reopen.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:39 pm
I remember watching it from my classroom window.... we were all so confused and terrified. One kid pointed out that the first tower looked like it was on fire. We all ran to the window, and it was earily quiet as we watched the second one being attacked. We were all gripped by absolute terror. I don't remember when or how we got home grom school that day.
The streets smelled for the longest time and there tiny pieces of paper and small debris all over my sisters house. She lived close to the river on the brooklyn side. There was a but flying around my house too. But there it was all over the floor. I remember watching the debris flying and thinking if I see it all the way till Brooklyn those must be desks and larger objects not just papers.... and then I learned what these "flying things" were. The most precious things, humans. Crying
The streets were foggy and everything was covered in a layer of dust after a while. Watching the people walk over the bridge was haunting. Covered in grey dust. They looked like they came to tell of the world coming to an end.
Pur local grocery store owner went to donate all the water bottles and sandwiches and lots of food to distribute and was waiting at the bridge for first responder that we're heading over the bridge to Manhattan for them to take along. The phone lines were jammed. It was hard to get thru to anyone. I Remember feeling dazed for days.
The constant buzzing of the helicopters overhead.
The stories that we kept hearing.
The names we were davening for to be found. The stories of the poeple who probably "pulverized" in the collapse and the fire and would likely never be found or identified. Absolute complete horror.

DrMom

Post Mon, Sep 11 2023, 11:40 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
The helplessness of the jumpers…..iykyk.

This. I cannot get those images out of my mind.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 12:06 am
When first responders entered the building they were surprised to see casualties burnt on the ground floor, what happened was, After the plane hit, there were people waiting for the elevator at that point and when the door opened the jet fuel and fire came blasting out of the shafts…burning everyone there…

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 12:19 am
doodlesmom wrote:
The Boatlift of 9/11 was the largest water rescue operation/evacuation in American history.

Very interesting documentary about it, and all the volunteers who came with their vessels.

Can you post a link to the documentary?

ewwpeas20

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 12:24 am
doodlesmom wrote:
When first responders entered the building they were surprised to see casualties burnt on the ground floor, what happened was, After the plane hit, there were people waiting for the elevator at that point and when the door opened the jet fuel and fire came blasting out of the shafts…burning everyone there…

I was 4 when it happened and I remember my parents looking at the television in horror. In school we saw videos and clips of 9/11 on 9/11 to remember that horrible day. A year or so ago I saw a very graphic photo then a video of human remains on top of some buildings and the floor. I can’t forget that horrible sound and visual, the most memorable one was the firefighters reaction as he stood by helplessly as people jumped to their deaths. They They completely pulverized upon landing.

shanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 12:30 am
I remember…I was in college at the time and it was a couple of hours till I found out.
But then - watching on the tv.
The awful devastation of that day.
Thank you doodlesmom for this important post.
We must remember.

I remember on Yom Kippur night, the smell of smoke in the air.
I remember one time seeing a truck with debris from the site.
On Simchas Torah our shul refrained from outdoor dancing in respect to the fact that it was a time of mourning for the USA.

Reality

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 12:54 am
The fear of war.
The fear to leave the house.
The raining ashes.
Family members walking home from Manhattan for hours. BH they were OK but until they were contacted.
The fear for years when seeing a plane a little lower than normal flying.
American flags on every car.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 12 2023, 12:58 am
I'm not going to go through relating my personal experiences of the day (did that in a couple of other threads in the past) but what strikes me is just that there's a whole generation that never knew the security I grew up with. War was something that happened in Israel and in history. We had felt so safe. It changed so abruptly - maybe there were some people less naive but I think most Americans were completely blindsided not just by the attack but by the whole concept that there were people so out to get us.

Besides all the details and the tragedy and the images and the smells, what stands out in my mind the most about that day was the confusion. Somewhere around the web is an audio of I think 911 dispatch that day, or if you listen to the live (at the time) news radio or TV, you hear it so clearly - how deeply and thoroughly nobody knew what hit them. And why, and where from, and what next. I don't know what was scarier, the confusion or the fire. You didn't know if the world was ending or what.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics