Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I spent $1,000 only on tights
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 8:54 am
OP, are you bragging, complaining, or looking for advice on how to cut costs? Rather than tell us the total outlay, you should say how much you spent per pair. If you bought 16 pairs for 10 people, that averages 6.25 a pair, which doesn't sound like that much if they last a long time. OTOH if it's only for five kids, you're spending 12.50 a pair, which sounds excessive. Maybe you're shopping in the wrong places or going for fancy name brands that charge for prestige but add no value. Also I don't understand why you have to buy all new every year. Surely the kids still have some tights left from last year? What are they doing that they go through so many? Crawling through bramble patches? And are you aware that tights can be darned if they tear in places covered by shoes and clothing?

You could save money by buying on end of season sales or buying wholesale if you're already buying in such quantity. But why buy a whole year's worth all at once? Buy as needed. And unless you're able to do laundry only twice a month, you could wash more often and buy less. Any child over the age of about seven is perfectly capable of --gasp!-- washing her tights by hand in the bathroom sink as necessary. Hand washing helps them last longer, too. The tights, I mean, not the children, though children also do better when washed by hand.

Now if you're not complaining but bragging... bless your heart, enjoy.

amother
Poppy

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 9:00 am
If Hashem gave you enough Parnassa to be able to afford to shop in Jewish stores it is a wonderful thing to give a fellow Yid Parnassa.

emee2

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:17 am
I have 4 girls and consider buying tights a science. My oldest is almost 20 so I’ve been at this for awhile. I buy 8 pairs of black weekday. I like butterfly school collection or mod and tone. I feel I get the best value. I do this for succos and pesach and if they go to sleep away camp then I buy another 6-8 pairs for that. This seems to last me the whole year. We do sew up holes and just wear them
Inside out so they are not uncomfortable.

For Shabbos I buy 4 pairs. We used to buy memoi but my girls recently started wearing 60-70 dernier so now they get butterfly nursemaid and thèse for not rip at all. This works for us and sometimes I don’t have to buy the full amount because they may have an unopened package from the previous yontif.

This does work out to close to $100 per girl but I don’t ever go back into the tights store mid year.

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 11:43 am
The simplest answer is don't buy for a full season at one time. I usually buy 2-3 pairs at a time. I trust that the tight companies aren't going out of business and they will be there after yom tov.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 12:26 pm
miami85 wrote:
The simplest answer is don't buy for a full season at one time. I usually buy 2-3 pairs at a time. I trust that the tight companies aren't going out of business and they will be there after yom tov.

My girls need a specific color & brand for their uniform, the stores often run out of this brand/color. Only this one brand matches their uniform.
I buy for the season.

amother
Nemesia

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:22 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Why so rude? It's not stockpiling.
I buy what I need for the season at the beginning of the season. 6 school tights, 4 weekday, 4 shabbos per kid is 14 pairs. It's not excessive or stockpiling. It's what we need.

Not being rude, just pointing out the cause for why another poster said her store ran out of stock.
You and OP can go ahead and buy as many pairs as you both wish, none of us are stopping you. OP chose to start a thread telling us all her costs - she obviously doesn't mind us all knowing.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:26 pm
amother Nemesia wrote:
Not being rude, just pointing out the cause for why another poster said her store ran out of stock.
You and OP can go ahead and buy as many pairs as you both wish, none of us are stopping you. OP chose to start a thread telling us all her costs - she obviously doesn't mind us all knowing.

This isn't why the stores ran out of stock as this isn't stockpiling. Most people buy what they need for the season. If the store ran out of stock, they didn't order enough stock.
I don't think any stores in my city ran out of stock of basics. They order enough.

miami85

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:33 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
My girls need a specific color & brand for their uniform, the stores often run out of this brand/color. Only this one brand matches their uniform.
I buy for the season.

Well, if people wouldn't stockpile...then there would be stock to last through the season. I find this to be a silly school policy to require certain brand socks for a uniform.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Because this is for the whole season!
Shabbos tights tear and 4 is not enough for the whole season.

I buy as I need. Now I know why the store was emptied out...

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:42 pm
Am I the only one that cant just buy as I need?
I cant always just run to the store to pick up tights and if I do have extra time, thats not the first thing on my list

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:44 pm
The nastiness on this thread is telling

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:49 pm
miami85 wrote:
Well, if people wouldn't stockpile...then there would be stock to last through the season. I find this to be a silly school policy to require certain brand socks for a uniform.

It's not called stockpiling to buy as many as you know you need.
The school doesn't require a certain brand. But one specific brand is the best match to their uniform.
I buy 6 pairs of school tights per kid, 1 for each day of the week. That's not called stockpiling. That's buying what we need.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:50 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I buy as I need. Now I know why the store was emptied out...

Stores in my city are fully stocked. If the stores in your place are empty, they didn't order enough stock to begin with.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:51 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Am I the only one that cant just buy as I need?
I cant always just run to the store to pick up tights and if I do have extra time, thats not the first thing on my list

No your not the only one. It's normal to buy what you need for the season. Some women here are just bitter and jealous and just like to be rude to others.

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:52 pm
giftedmom wrote:
The nastiness on this thread is telling

It's called אומפארגינען.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 1:58 pm
miami85 wrote:

Why are so many people giving this reply? Let’s assume the OP will actually end up needing all the tights she bought. Why would OP prefer to return to the store multiple times rather than just buying them all at once?

I’m reading so many replies saying “the solution is to spread it out over a few months” or something similar. The solution to what?? OP isn’t going into debt to buy these tights. She didn’t put it on her credit card which she now can’t pay off and so I paying monthly interest. She bought it all at once because it was more convenient.

Do you think that because you spread out a cost over a few months, you end up with more money in your pocket? This is a bad way to think about money and is an example of a type of poor financial understanding that causes people to go into debt. Like those people who see the online payment options “pay just $X for the next 4 months!” Instead of just paying the full cost upfront, and think “wow that’s a great deal!”.

amother
Dustypink

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 3:18 pm
What I want to know is, what with OP insisting she has to buy this much and this quality and no she can't make do with fewer or cheaper or wash more often etc etc, what was the point of this thread? If all she wanted to do was vent, why didn't she say so and then no one would need to waste their time suggesting possible solutions that she will only reject.

mom24.7

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 3:35 pm
I thought the point was just how small purchases add up like crazy. I've probably bought same quantities as her but 75 here and 95 there u don't realize tights for many girls can add up to 1k.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 3:53 pm
mom24.7 wrote:
I thought the point was just how small purchases add up like crazy. I've probably bought same quantities as her but 75 here and 95 there u don't realize tights for many girls can add up to 1k.

Exactly. I think the same.
Many posters said to go buy as needed. Op originally said she is busy and doesn't wanna go back during the year. Nothing wrong with that.

Maybe I should complain that every time I go to the tights store there is a huge line?

Perhaps all those women that like to go back for 4 pairs at a time, are causing longer lines, more traffic, and paying more on gas or taxis?

Everyone does what works for them..

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 3:54 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
It's called אומפארגינען.

In the spirit of many threads on this site… usually when it’s related to finances Can't Believe It
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics