Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I spent $1,000 only on tights
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

giftedmom

Post Fri, Sep 29 2023, 12:57 pm
amother Tangerine wrote:
In the spirit of many threads on this site… usually when it’s related to finances Can't Believe It

Yes
You don’t see infertile people hating on those with kids, or divorced or unhappily married people hating on those with happy marriages, or orphans hating on those with parents…
But somehow with money it’s almost like people think others are taking away theirs.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:24 pm
amother Silver wrote:
Why are so many people giving this reply? Let’s assume the OP will actually end up needing all the tights she bought. Why would OP prefer to return to the store multiple times rather than just buying them all at once?

I’m reading so many replies saying “the solution is to spread it out over a few months” or something similar. The solution to what?? OP isn’t going into debt to buy these tights. She didn’t put it on her credit card which she now can’t pay off and so I paying monthly interest. She bought it all at once because it was more convenient.

Do you think that because you spread out a cost over a few months, you end up with more money in your pocket? This is a bad way to think about money and is an example of a type of poor financial understanding that causes people to go into debt. Like those people who see the online payment options “pay just $X for the next 4 months!” Instead of just paying the full cost upfront, and think “wow that’s a great deal!”.

The reason buying as needed is helpful is because then you actually buy the amount you'll use, not some estimated predermined amount. I mean, there's no way that every single one of these MULTIPLE daughters ended up tearing THE SAME AMOUNT of thoughts during any given season! It doesn't sound like OP is accounting for leftover rights from last season, or from one daughter's leftovers for the next... meaning all 16 rights PER CHILD were opened and started. It would be different when buying as needed as only some of this amount would be opened and drive more would be bought as needed based on the amount that actually tore etc etc... wouldn't have multiple hardly used pairs in the end of the season

Op, I'm curious, what do you do with what's left over in the end if the season?

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:32 pm
No one is hating on anyone. Its not about having the money. it's about being wasteful because she might be overestimating what she needs. But then again, it's no big deal for me to go to the tights store. I can just walk over. So maybe I am being too judgemental. Also we have no idea if op is a spendthrift. Doesn't mean she has money.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 10:41 pm
Maybe I should start a new thread, but for all those saying target, children’s place etc are cheaper- are they always?
I’ve bought children’s place cotton tights in the past on sale- they’re not cheaper reg price, but had to put them away for 3 years because they run HUGE!

For reference, I buy the butterfly school collection in microfiber and for some of my girls cotton as not all them like cotton.

The microfiber are $3.49 a pair and the cotton $6.49. My girls wear white on shabbos so we need other tights, though no fancy tights.
And though I don’t know how much tights cost us per year- I do know that 2 of my girls are terrible “wearers” and forever getting runs and holes at the toes so constantly need to replace them.

Would love links to cheaper tights! Recently bought on amazon- a 3 pack for about $14. Was willing to spend more because it looked great and was hoping will hope up longer. Dd 9 came home from school with a fully ripped tights after 1st wear. It got a huge run that just exploded...

GOODMOM

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:14 pm
Btw during covid I had a hard time finding my size , and specific brand of tights. When I finally heard that one specific store has it in stock, I ordered 2 dozen tights. It lasted a year. OP is shopping whatever works better for her. Totally understandable.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 01 2023, 11:23 pm
My girls got a hole each in their new tights, both days yomtov. Memoi w/ design 4x 6.49 for a single time use.

imaima

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 12:26 am
amother Silver wrote:
Why are so many people giving this reply? Let’s assume the OP will actually end up needing all the tights she bought. Why would OP prefer to return to the store multiple times rather than just buying them all at once?

I’m reading so many replies saying “the solution is to spread it out over a few months” or something similar. The solution to what?? OP isn’t going into debt to buy these tights. She didn’t put it on her credit card which she now can’t pay off and so I paying monthly interest. She bought it all at once because it was more convenient.

Do you think that because you spread out a cost over a few months, you end up with more money in your pocket? This is a bad way to think about money and is an example of a type of poor financial understanding that causes people to go into debt. Like those people who see the online payment options “pay just $X for the next 4 months!” Instead of just paying the full cost upfront, and think “wow that’s a great deal!”.

It’s actually a good financial thinking. Buying just a half of the tights at one time would have OP be left with 500$ and potentially being able to buy other important things, invest this money or donate it, or have a better food or accommodation for yomtov. Assuming of course that she has limited money. She only said mid-thread that she has unlimited resources.

Also, buying only half of the tights would potentially prepare her for unexpected growth spurts in her kids, when half the tights may remain unused.

Fox

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:01 am
amother Silver wrote:

Exactly! I'm not sure why people are so determined to argue with the OP. If her system of tights procurement doesn't work for you for whatever reason, then don't do it.

But it's silly to dismiss her experience out of hand. I'm long past the tights-buying stage of life, but the lesson is still good: sometimes planning ahead and buying in bulk costs a lot at the time, but makes financial or other sense in the medium-term.

For me, one of the biggest advantages of buying stuff in bulk is avoiding impulse purchases. How many of us go to a specific store to purchase something we genuinely need . . . only to walk out with that item plus another $20 worth?

There are all kinds of good reasons people can't bulk buy. Even if you have the money, you may not have the space. But I actually enjoy considering the pros and cons and whether my current systems could be tweaked for better results.

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:29 am
amother Plum wrote:
My girls got a hole each in their new tights, both days yomtov. Memoi w/ design 4x 6.49 for a single time use.

one of mine too....
not the thin ones... the one with holes om the side...She is 10, no baby but she and her friends used scooters to get around...
So will Hosiery stores be open at all chol hamoed to buy more? Not that they will have her size left... could hardly find the styles I liked erev yom tov...
This is the problem with the shopping situation...I used to buy slowly as needed but I learned they don't restock till next season and all the best stuff sells out in the beginning

honey36

Post Mon, Oct 02 2023, 9:38 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
I think the reason people are arguing is because they just don't get the reason for this thread. If you can afford spending 1K on tights, sure go ahead and buy Condor brand or whatever and do so. But, it's not that different than opening a thread here 'I spent 30K only on a breakfont for my dining room'. If you can afford it great, enjoy. But, why the need to open a thread about it?

I actually enjoyed this thread. I think it is just interesting to think about. At first I was like, wow that's a lot of money, but then I thought about it a bit more and was like, yeah, actually that makes sense. Again, it's just an interesting and kind of entertaining thought process.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:13 am
Thought of this thread today!
Spent 115!!!!!!???? On only tights. 19 pairs total for 4 different family members

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Ok I got my answer. It’s extravagant.
My kids should really manage with 4 pairs of tights for Shabbos from now until pesach.

They do rip. My daughter who is totally not wild or anything wore a brand new pair of classic memoi tights this shabbos and they turned into shreds- snagged on something and completely unraveled. We go through as many tights as you do, I just don’t bite the bullet all at once.

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:37 am
IMHO it's about OP just plain bragging. She said it's not a financial hardship, and she coyly refrains from saying how many pairs of tights she bought. So why bring it up? Some people just like bragging about how much they spend on things. Sorry, no sympathy here.

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:41 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
IMHO it's about OP just plain bragging. She said it's not a financial hardship, and she coyly refrains from saying how many pairs of tights she bought. So why bring it up? Some people just like bragging about how much they spend on things. Sorry, no sympathy here.

Respectfully asking, which post exactly does she sound like she's bragging?

giftedmom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 9:52 am
So we back to fighting over money now? Well that didn’t take too long at all.
I’m over here still thinking about the babies

amother
Yolk

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:02 am
amother Dustypink wrote:

I don't see it as bragging. More like surprised how expensive tights is.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 10:49 am
IMO
If I'm going to need 8 pairs of tights for this season.
I'd rather buy them in the beginning of the season where I can now have peace of mind rotating through them instead of 4 in the beginning and more as needed. Then I feel like I never have enough.
If I'm spending the money anyways I'd like to get the full benefit from it!

amother
Mayflower

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:12 am
I initially thought she bought a lot… but my DDs already ripped a few pairs!🤑 I really should keep track how many pairs we go thru all season… and I’ll be going every few weeks at this point so I am starting to agree with OPs method

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Oct 24 2023, 11:58 am
Yes we all rip tights. During the week my daughters can wear uniform skirts with socks. For Shabbos if this happened over and over then I would have them wear knee highs for the longer dresses or even thicker tights. One of my daughters doesn’t like stockings in the summer so I tell her wear them only for shul. The winter tights have fewer issues.

Now let’s go to the root causes. Do you make sure to cut their nails periodically? Long toenails can rip tights. Also dry skin or cracked skin. I bought a very powerful foot lotion on Amazon that comes with socks to wear at night and heal the cracked skin, because my stockings were ripping from this.
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics