Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Diaper rash

jewmama83

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 2:51 pm
My 2 year old came home with a horrible diaper rash. His Morah said it might be a yeast infection. He screams when we mention his diaper. Any advice?

Tehilla

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 2:54 pm
check with your pediatrician.

if it is a yeast infection it's usually very easy to clear up with a cream.

if it is a regular diaper rash, just be extra vigilant with chaning, airing out, and careful when wiping and use a good diaper cream.

once you notice what the rash looks like and how your child acts, if it happens again you can try the antifungal cream first. in our house, unfortunately, one of my daughters was prone to yeast infections. I quickly learned what it was and how to treat it.

jewmama83

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 3:36 pm
how do they get a yeast infection? My son has an appointment today, but it is good to hear advice from someone who is not the pediatrician also.

luckyme

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 3:52 pm
Poor baby!
Yeast rashes often look very red, almost beefy colored, and raised/bubbly.
Either way, instead of wiping, use a squirt bottle with water to rinse him off and/or put him in the bath with some baking soda and some colloidal oats if you can get them. Stay away from regular soaps.
You really want to make sure the area is totally clear of urine/feces which can prevent the rash from healing. Let him air out without a diaper as much as you dare and when completely dry, use the diaper cream heavily.
I second a quality diaper cream, but be careful and check the ingredients because even some of the expensive brands contain alcohol and will burn like fire when applied! I like Grassroots Baby and Weleda, but any natural based, non-alcohol cream that is thick so it has staying power should be good. Change him often, so he stays as clean & dry as possible.
If you suspect it is a yeast rash, feed him lots of yogurt. You can even paint the yogurt on the rash, it is very cooling.
Also, it is totally worth it to buy an acidophilus supplement in powder or liquid form that you can add to drinks or applesauce/yogurt. This will combat the yeast from the inside, help prevent future rashes and is very healthful in general. Limit sugary snacks/drinks, as these will feed the yeast. All of this will be very helpful in place of or in addition to an antifungal cream.
For any rash, try to avoid acidic foods/drinks until the rash is healed as they can irritate the area when they pass.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 3:54 pm
I think there's also something called french green clay which is amazing for diaper rashes.

luckyme

Post Wed, Jul 30 2008, 4:00 pm
Everyone has this type of bacteria in their gut. The problem occurs when there becomes an imbalance of "good" and "bad" bacterium. In a dark & moist environment, like the diaper area, the yeast thrive. Acidophilus supplements and yogurt (but not the super sugary kind) contain the "good" bacteria and help restore a balance to the digestive system.
You will commonly see a yeast infection after a course of antibiotics, which wipe out all types of bacterium, good & bad.
Sometimes if the system is overloaded with sugars, you can become more prone to yeast infections, too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics