Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How does it work when another till opens up?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Snow

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 9:03 am
If you think about it, it’s always the people at the end of the line-(which means they’ve as of the moment, been waiting in line for a shorter amount of time than those ahead)-who have the advantage of moving to a new register that opens; how could people further up on line even manage to move? There isn’t usually room to maneuver and turn their cart around.
That’s just the way it is.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 9:07 am
amother OP wrote:
I had just finished my shopping when I heard the ping calling for a new till to open. Then no one came, but it wasn't very long, that's when I asked the cashier if a new one was indeed opening up. She replied 'yes I've called someone' I said do you know what number it'll be? She said no' so I just stood at one, and hoped for the best, that's when the man said something from the queue. I was only waiting for a couple of minutes.

He sounds grumpy.

Sounds like this store could benefit from 'express 10 items or less' lanes. Do they have those where you live?

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 9:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Lol!! I'm British but does this not happen in US?

I think she meant that you used so many terms that are different from those used in the US.
Queue = line
Till= cash register
Trolley= shopping cart.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 9:08 am
Don’t quite understand all the British words. But in the US anyone can step out of line and form a new one. First come first serve it’s not based off the old one.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 11:39 am
amother Ruby wrote:
He sounds grumpy.

Sounds like this store could benefit from 'express 10 items or less' lanes. Do they have those where you live?

Sure, but not in this store, at this time. It was this one cashier, and the one long line. When she saw it getting too long, she called for a colleague to open another one.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 11:40 am
zaq wrote:
I think she meant that you used so many terms that are different from those used in the US.
Queue = line
Till= cash register
Trolley= shopping cart.

Thanks for interpetating Very Happy

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 11:48 am
lol I only opened this thread because I was intrigued what it was about.
Like what is a till and how does it open? I thought it had something to do with the war

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 11:51 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
Don’t quite understand all the British words. But in the US anyone can step out of line and form a new one. First come first serve it’s not based off the old one.

Doesn’t take a genius.. it is the same language. 😂

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 11:52 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
lol I only opened this thread because I was intrigued what it was about.
Like what is a till and how does it open? I thought it had something to do with the war

Laugh
Ya I get that. My head is really in the war. Everything is about that now. I'm so so anxious, and so exhausted because my anxiety makes me knackered 😵‍💫 but thoughts are with those in Israel, and who's family members are victims of this atrocity.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:10 pm
This happens a lot in Lidl or Aldi. But since the people earlier in line will already have put their items on the belt, they are not going to move.

Its definitely first come first served.

Probably that guy NEVER goes shopping, he always gets his wife to do it, but she couldn't so he had to, and he is not used to queuing. So he is grumpy since he actually had to do some work.

lucky14

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:16 pm
zaq wrote:
Queue = line
Till= cash register
Trolley= shopping cart.

Yes I was thinking the same thing when I read it all. I’m sure that’s what she meant. This stuff happens all the time in the US. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong. It is annoying when it happens and you’ve been waiting for so long and someone comes alone and gets to check out right away but that is just life….

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:24 pm
I think the other person was just grumpy. It's first come, first served. If they announce another till is opening, whoever wants to go, should go and it doesn't matter if you were in the first queue yet or not. It's not always faster as it often takes a few minutes for the new cashier to turn up, get themselves ready.
My initial reaction to it being british was simply how polite you were op. Only in England do people stay politely in their lanes, not want to disturb queues etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:26 pm
amother Mint wrote:
This happens a lot in Lidl or Aldi. But since the people earlier in line will already have put their items on the belt, they are not going to move.

Its definitely first come first served.

Probably that guy NEVER goes shopping, he always gets his wife to do it, but she couldn't so he had to, and he is not used to queuing. So he is grumpy since he actually had to do some work.

Yes, they announce it, like in home bargains etc. They say over the tanoy 'till number 3 will be opening shortly' (spelling?) I was in b&m bargains this morning.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:30 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
And trolley 😃

And bits. And shop. Laugh

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:32 pm
amother Impatiens wrote:
And bits. And shop. Laugh

Wow there are a lot of different words 😅

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 12:33 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:
This is the most British thing I have ever read lol

Do I win a trophy? 🏆

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 7:05 pm
I live in the midwest (U.S.) and what op did would be considered rude here. Probably the New Yorkers think differently because of different social norms. It just depends what’s normal where you live.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 7:07 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Doesn’t take a genius.. it is the same language. 😂

You sound nice.

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 7:12 pm
It being the same language actually can make it harder, because it makes it more likely for the same word to have two different meanings.

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, Oct 11 2023, 7:33 pm
amother Peru wrote:
I think OP means a situation where each till has a separate queue, obviously if there was only one queue and multiple tills like there are in lots of clothing shops then whoever's first on line goes to the next available till.
not always
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette