Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Do the 2 go together?
Previous  1  2

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 10:54 am
amother Begonia wrote:
As a long time English teacher I can tell you that many times they do. That being said, there are students who just have a difficult time with spelling and yet may be avid readers. They read words quickly as a full unit and struggle with spelling. For the most part though my students that struggle with spelling are also students that don’t read a lot. The more one is exposed to reading hopefully the better ones spelling will be , but it’s not a given. I have one of my own children who struggles with spelling and barely reads. I encourage her to keep reading things to me ( books are too much but instructions for recipes or smaller jobs like that) and hope that that will help strengthen her spelling.

I disagree with every word you said. My English teachers loves me, I loved to read and had a quick grasp of the concepts and styles of Lit. and writing. My spelling was and is atrocious.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 11:11 am
BTW, not connected with writing either. I'm a professional writer, still terrible at spelling. I just really rely on spellcheck! I haven't written anything on paper aside from the odd dashing off a note or list since high school.

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 11:38 am
amother Iris wrote:
Not necessarily. I'm a major bookworm, I'm terrible at spelling. It's more likely there's something else going on that's making reading hard and therefore not enjoyable.

Me too

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 11:52 am
I think people can be great readers but not great spellers. But you'd be hard pressed to find a good speller that isn't also a good reader.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 11:56 am
I was a huge reader as a kid and have always been a good speller. I always assumed they go together.
However I don't have a great vocabulary and am not good at expressing myself, in speaking or in writing. I would have thought all that reading would help in that area but it didn't.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:15 pm
I was an avid reader as a kid and my spelling was never great.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was always naturally good at spelling BH and I was a huge reader. I noticed dd 8 having a hard time with spelling and she barely reads.
Do the 2 necessarily go together?
Anyone a big reader and still struggle with spelling?
Or vice versa?

Yes there is absolutely huge correlation between reading and learning spelling.

Those who read more are much more likely to have better spelling skills. Seeing the words over and over during reading helps learning the spelling of words.

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 2:29 pm
Reading a lot doesn't guarantee eloquence or good spelling, but you can't have either without it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 26 2023, 5:28 pm
Spelling in my mind is related to good visual memory and also pattern recognition

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Fri, Oct 27 2023, 9:21 am
amother Oleander wrote:
It can go together, doesn't have to though. I'm a huge reader with a very fancy vocabulary can't spell for the life of me.

This is me, but with not so fancy vocabulary.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics