Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How is temu so cheap???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Oldlace

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 10:51 pm
Can't speak about specific apps unless I do a little research on them, if there's interest in that lmk and I can start a spinoff

In general, be careful with anything in a text/email from an unrecognized sender, even if they seem to be someone you know. If they're trying to get you to click a link or download something, confirm with that person in real life if they sent it before going forward.
Things made in China should be looked at with suspicion, there's a lot of state-sponsored activity that is less-than friendly towards Americans. (same is true for Iran and maybe Russia, but less sites and apps come from those countries)
Be cautious when shopping online. If it's a site you don't know, look around. Does it look professional? Are there spelling/grammar mistakes? Do the pictures look weird? If something seems off, leave the site and for sure don't give them any personal information. When shopping on any site, don't let them autosave your credit card or any personal info. If their site gets hacked, the hackers now have access to all your information.

Use your common sense, don't fall for anything that seems too good to be true or seems super urgent (ACT NOW OR ELSE!) and when in doubt, just don't

amother
Brass

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:09 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
Can't speak about specific apps unless I do a little research on them, if there's interest in that lmk and I can start a spinoff

In general, be careful with anything in a text/email from an unrecognized sender, even if they seem to be someone you know. If they're trying to get you to click a link or download something, confirm with that person in real life if they sent it before going forward.
Things made in China should be looked at with suspicion, there's a lot of state-sponsored activity that is less-than friendly towards Americans. (same is true for Iran and maybe Russia, but less sites and apps come from those countries)
Be cautious when shopping online. If it's a site you don't know, look around. Does it look professional? Are there spelling/grammar mistakes? Do the pictures look weird? If something seems off, leave the site and for sure don't give them any personal information. When shopping on any site, don't let them autosave your credit card or any personal info. If their site gets hacked, the hackers now have access to all your information.

Use your common sense, don't fall for anything that seems too good to be true or seems super urgent (ACT NOW OR ELSE!) and when in doubt, just don't

Sort of like these game ads which claim you can earn real cash and make lots of money and pay your bills from it! Are people that stupid or desperate to believe it? Nobody is out to give you free money. Either you have to buy things in order to play and sometimes you win, or you don't have to pay anything and can only win, in which case it's even more suspicious.

Are any game apps safe? If yes can you elaborate on how to tell if it is?

glowing1

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:18 pm
Thank you all for the PSA! I am trying to convince a relative of mine to exercise caution when using temu and other apps like this one does anyone have links to articles outlining all that is being said here that I can show her?

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:27 pm
Ok now im terrified. They have my credit card information saved do I cancel it?

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:32 pm
I’m pretty savvy but how would I know Temu is different than any other shopping app?

amother
Latte

Post Sat, Oct 28 2023, 11:52 pm
Is my Tineco spying on me? I always wondered that.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 12:36 am
amother Oldlace wrote:

Can you check if the Shein app is safe? What about the AliExpress app?
Should I remove my stored cc info from there? I generally don't store my cc info on shopping sites but I don't remember these 2 apps giving me the option not to store. I'm gonna go check and delete the cc info if I can.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 12:40 am
Psa I just checked the settings of my Shein app. I was shocked to see there's an option "do not sell my personal information" when I clicked on it the option of "sale of personal data" was ON. They never asked for permission. I guess it was a default setting to on as of I agreed to it. I have that app for a few years already. I hope no damage was done.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 12:43 am
Not just selling your data but also using slave labor... I don't think there is a single cheap Chinese company that doesn't...

amother
Bluebell

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 12:45 am
biggirl6 wrote:
I placed an order on ali website a year ago and the seller used my credit card somewhere else for a few hundred dollars, so I dont trust this website anymore

The seller doesn't get your information , only the ali express afmin has it, similar to amazon

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:11 am
amother Brass wrote:
Sort of like these game ads which claim you can earn real cash and make lots of money and pay your bills from it! Are people that stupid or desperate to believe it? Nobody is out to give you free money. Either you have to buy things in order to play and sometimes you win, or you don't have to pay anything and can only win, in which case it's even more suspicious.

Are any game apps safe? If yes can you elaborate on how to tell if it is?

Really depends on who makes it. In the app store it should have the developer's information. Google them and see what comes up. Does their website look legit? It should have some sort of release history on the site - is it regularly updated? If it is that's a good sign. If the app is made by a legit developer from a country that you would trust, don't be overly concerned

And yes, you're 100% correct. There's no such thing as free lunch. If they're offering something ridiculous, there's probably a catch or 2

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:16 am
amother Cerise wrote:
Ok now im terrified. They have my credit card information saved do I cancel it?

I'm sorry, I did not mean to fearmonger! No need to cancel your credit card unless you've seen fraudulent activity. But if you know it's saved on a site, go remove it. It's annoying to put in your info every time you buy something online, so get a password browser extension (I use LastPass) to have your credit card information and use it on autofill
BTW, this does not apply for Amazon. Maybe if I was more careful I wouldn't save my cc info there, but I don't think any major harm can come from it and it's so convenient. (Even the professionals don't follow their own advice perfectly)

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:18 am
amother NeonYellow wrote:
I’m pretty savvy but how would I know Temu is different than any other shopping app?

TBH I wasn't aware of that about Temu, they just always seemed a little sketchy, and the super cheap prices meant to me that either there was something weird going on or the stuff was such horrible quality it wasn't worth even a few dollars

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:20 am
amother Latte wrote:

IDK, looks like it has wifi capabilities but I would be more concerned about Alexa or Google Home before robovacs and things like that. No need to become paranoid about every electronic device in your house Laugh

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:26 am
amother Latte wrote:

Like that lady who said that her roomba followed her to the bathroom every time she went? And when she checked she found a hidden camera on the side.

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:30 am
One of the biggest issues with downloading chinese software is they hack your phone or computer and they especially hack your camera and use it for intel. Off topic but for those who buy the chinese robot vacuum and mops they have leaked data of people's house, they store all the date from the camera and use it.

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:31 am
amother Cerise wrote:
Like that lady who said that her roomba followed her to the bathroom every time she went? And when she checked she found a hidden camera on the side.

It doesn't need a hidden camera it has a camera built in that's how it knows where to go and how to avoid objects. Roomba isn't hacking anyone, the chinese knock offs that are not the company roomba are.

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:31 am
amother Cerise wrote:

Waaaaaaa????

amother
Brass

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:48 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
IDK, looks like it has wifi capabilities but I would be more concerned about Alexa or Google Home before robovacs and things like that. No need to become paranoid about every electronic device in your house Laugh

There are these stick on thingies you can get to cover the camera on devices. I should get new ones mine fell off already.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=cam.....overs

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Oct 29 2023, 10:59 am
asmileaday wrote:
Psa I just checked the settings of my Shein app. I was shocked to see there's an option "do not sell my personal information" when I clicked on it the option of "sale of personal data" was ON. They never asked for permission. I guess it was a default setting to on as of I agreed to it. I have that app for a few years already. I hope no damage was done.

Most likely when you downloaded the app or made an account you clicked agree to terms and conditions and that was in there somewhere. A lot of legit websites also sell your information- it’s not necessarily malicious it’s usually to third parties/advertisers
Not sure if shein follows all the data compliance laws but it is illegal for companies to sell your information without asking you first. Most people don’t read the terms and conditions before agreeing but it’s all in there
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics