Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Does anyone NOT serve Fish on Shabbat?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 11:24 pm
On Friday nights we have either a soup course or fish course before the main but not both as we just cannot eat that much.
On shabbos day we don't usually have fish at all.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 11:29 pm
We have Friday night but not shabbos day

hodeez

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 11:30 pm
Do whatever you want it's your seuda, but as a guest I would think it strange if there was no fish at the meal.

amother
Begonia

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 11:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Interesting responses.

People who don't serve fish with family only, but serve fish with guests: is this so your guests don't judge you? Because it's nicer and more complete of a meal?

This is the only response where I feel like someone would judge us for not having fish:

I'm not sure what this means. It's your oneg shabbos? Or you're saying should it be everyone's oneg shabbat? If someone who invited you didn't have fish, you wouldn't feel like you're oneg shabbos?

Like some of the other posters, I only serve fish when we have guests. Not that I don't like fish but it is just not necessary. We have plenty of other food. I serve when guests come not because I am worried about being judged (lol) but because I know that some people are makpid to have fish on Shabbos so I want them to be happy.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 11:44 pm
I only serve fish Friday night and not Shabbos day. Idk why but that just works for my family

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Nov 11 2023, 11:53 pm
Never have fish. We have one course. Otherwise its just too much food.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 1:13 am
Yes, we aren’t fans of it.

teachkids

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:32 am
We do when we have company, but if it’s just us we stick to 1 course since that’s all the kids manage to stay at the table for, and in the absence of friends they want us to come play with them. But

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:35 am
We're makpid to have fish on shabbos, if it's just us I'll do it for 3rd seuda, otherwise I'll do it for appetizer with guests.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:38 am
We sometimes have gefilte fish or herring (I get a big package and flavor it in various ways)
Usually we have just salad bar and liver. I have some kids who looove liver!

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 2:48 am
Not makpid on it at all. Almost never make it. We don't do gefilte. Husband refuses it, I tolerate it. Kids won't touch it.
Other fish my kids refuse as well. No point. Once in a blue moon, maybe YT, we have fish. But then we often don't eat the main so why bother with both?
I don't judge what people serve or don't serve. As long as there is something to eat I dont care id it is meat or fish or chicken or cholent or deli or vegan whatever or or... Basically as long as it is more than a bag of potato chips I am pretty good. Hosting is about people, not food.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:02 am
Basar v'dagim lechol matamim.....

We always have fish but we don't have too much food altogether. No large Mains with meat. By day it's cholent & by night soup & that's it or soup & a small taste of meat. All my kids toddler & up eat salmon, many also gefilte & herring. We eat it with challah & dips/ salads.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:13 am
Quote:
Basar v'dagim vechol matamim.....

Yes, this.

We practically only have fish! Salmon and gefilte, and dips. The 'main dish' we serve on 6 inch plates and everyone gets a tiny strand of chicken and tiny slice of kugel.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:30 am
I have learned that fish is a requirement, especially on Friday night.
I wouldn’t judge you the same way that I wouldn’t judge other people who are not knowledgeable at something.

But if I were a guest, I would be surprised.

Has nothing to do with the amount of other food you serve.

And of course noone will ever SAY anything to a host who doesn’t serve fish. It doesn’t mean that everything is happy.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Never have fish. We have one course. Otherwise its just too much food.

We have fish occasionally, but if so, as a main course, like a huge side of salmon or a big tray of smaller fish.
Having fish and meat would just be too much. Our guests don't usually starve.

And, it's not halacha. If one doesn't like or want fish, or meat, or cholent, one doesn't have to force oneself to have them.
Only wine and challah are a must.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 3:54 am
Fish only Friday night and not every week.

Perly1

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 4:14 am
amother Forsythia wrote:
We have fish occasionally, but if so, as a main course, like a huge side of salmon or a big tray of smaller fish.
Having fish and meat would just be too much. Our guests don't usually starve.

And, it's not halacha. If one doesn't like or want fish, or meat, or cholent, one doesn't have to force oneself to have them.
Only wine and challah are a must.

And not even wine and challah if you can't eat it! Ask your LOR.

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 5:21 am
Hardly ever serve fish, and if we do it's a main course.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 5:26 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
I have learned that fish is a requirement, especially on Friday night.
I wouldn’t judge you the same way that I wouldn’t judge other people who are not knowledgeable at something.

But if I were a guest, I would be surprised.

Has nothing to do with the amount of other food you serve.

And of course noone will ever SAY anything to a host who doesn’t serve fish. It doesn’t mean that everything is happy.

Do you have a source for that?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Nov 12 2023, 5:50 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Do you have a source for that?

No
I am also not trying to convince anyone.
But that doesn’t prevent me from making my conclusions about other people.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note