Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Crazy Raizy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Heather

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:12 pm
I'm not young. Had raizy in all schools, never heard of crazy raizy before now.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:13 pm
I found that it a lot more painful to have named a child a name you don’t like than dealing with backlash from family after not giving your child the name they expected.

My first baby wasn’t named after family.
The first 2 years the family made a stink out of it and it made me sad but I got over it and we still love her name.

My second I named after family because I didn’t want to deal with the backlash. I thought the name would grow on me.

To this day I hate the name. I call him a nickname but whenever I need to use his legal name or I hear him called to Torah it feels like a stab.
We spoke to a rav about changing his name when he was a few months old and he advised against it.

Please name your baby a name that you like.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:15 pm
There’s nothing wrong with raizy and no one would call her “crazy raizy” regularly. Maybe as a joke here and there but people aren’t going to walk around calling her crazy as her actual name.
Is raizy the coolest name? No- it’s not modern or one of the hip names of today. But if you or your husband had warm feelings towards this grandmother it’s a really nice thing to do and in my experience , when you name for this reason, which is well meaning and to carry forward the soul of the person, the name grows on you.

Btw my sisters name is raizy and she’s the most amazing person ever - beautiful inside and out, and the most caring, best wife mom and aunt. Best sister . Because of her I adore the name ! Name has associations
And no one besides me and my other sisters called her crazy raizy and if we did it was in a blue moon and always as an affectionate joke 😀

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:19 pm
I'm so happy to hear that most raizys aren't called that! I guess it's really my association with the name that's bothering me. Thanks everyone for your input!

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:22 pm
Shoshana has nothing to do with raizel, I’m so confused.
Rose, roiza, are half ways connected to shoshana, but not raizel.

dena613

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:31 pm
amother Maroon wrote:

Why not?
In what way is raizel different than rose and roiza?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:50 pm
amother Maroon wrote:

What does that mean??? Raizel means rose.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 9:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
In my dh's family, you sort of "have to" name after the closest grandparent or risk having everyone ask a million questions and be potentially upset at u. Like really upset. I wanted to add a name to one grandmother and asked a shaila was told not to. But that name was ok. This I really don't like

Let them ask a million questions. They'll get over it.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:28 pm
amother Denim wrote:

No it doesn’t

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 10:55 pm
amother OP wrote:
My husbs grandma's name is raizel. I would have to call the baby raizy. I just can't get myself to do it! It's probably an association from when I was young with a kid we called "crazy raizy" but I feel like it's setting a kid up to be bullied. Not sure what to do....

I had the same exact reaction when my husband wanted to name our daughter Raizel. I opted to focus on what a beautiful name it is, and now all these years later I am so glad. She is my sweet Raizel and I love her name.

ETA: I forgot to mention I had a bad association with the name because of a student named Raizy I had difficulty with. My husband said to forget the student and move on, and I'm glad I did. By now I've completely forgotten about it except when discussions like this come up.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:02 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
No it doesn’t

Raizel means "little rose."

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:21 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Reizel and Roiza are two different names and two different meanings.
Roizy is a rose so it is shoshana.
Reizel is a different word, it doesn't mean rose.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:23 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
No it doesn’t

What do you think it means?

Tao

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:24 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:

In any case, Shoshana is a very accepted alternative to Raizel.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:31 pm
amother Maroon wrote:
No it doesn’t

Yes it does
I can do it too
My kid is raizel

dena613

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:33 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:

So what is a reizel?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:46 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:

Two variations of the same word. Some consider it to still be one name (I.e. would choose one over the other for preference), some consider it to be completely separate. But both mean rose.

I’d like to think I know what my name means…

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:46 pm
amother Dustypink wrote:

Omg this is totally incorrect.
It’s the opposite. Raizel is Yiddish for Rose. Shoshana is the Hebrew for raizel.
Roiza is not as obvious as raizel but it also means rose. But raizel is the well known obvious yiddish version of shoshana (Hebrew) and rose (English)

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 06 2023, 11:56 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Omg this is totally incorrect.
It’s the opposite. Raizel is Yiddish for Rose. Shoshana is the Hebrew for raizel.
Roiza is not as obvious as raizel but it also means rose. But raizel is the well known obvious yiddish version of shoshana (Hebrew) and rose (English)

I like your amother color Wink

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Dec 07 2023, 12:06 am
amother Maroon wrote:

You're both right and wrong. Raizel and Roiza both mean rose, but unlike I had been told most of my life it appears that Shoshana in lashon kodesh actually means lily- not rose. I heard this literally only a few years ago. That's why it's k'shoshana bein hachochim- a rose grows between the thorns naturally but a lily doesn't belong their. It's like a sheep between wolves (like the passuk continues) not a natural state of being. In modern hebrew it is used for rose but if you're going by lashon kodesh it is not the same.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names