Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Toronto community
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 10:25 am
OP if you have a house there that changes everything. What about a plan for income? Definitely nowhere near as many job opportunities as in the tristate area.

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 10:31 am
amother Brass wrote:
I’d say most people are wearing sheitels maybe a snood if it’s erev shabbos running around but again that being said I wear a tichel always and don’t feel looked down upon. There are teachers at the bais yaakov school that don’t even wear sheitels.

Teachers that don’t wear Shaitels?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:16 am
I grew up in Toronto and now live in town. A few things- if you aren’t citizens that’s an issue, I don’t think it’s so easy to just move. The most expensive thing about living in Toronto is the housing which is a fortune. If you already have a house it might not be that expensive to live there. Tuition is comparable to other places and the schools give big discounts if you’re income eligible. There is some kind of government subsidy for daycare/preschool that makes it pretty cheap. You get paid maternity leave but need to work a certain number of hours a week to get it I think. Clothing and all retail are more expensive with less selection and sales but lots of ppl buy their clothing in the US especially if they travel there a lot. Food is somewhat more expensive but the only foods I find much more expensive when I visit Toronto is cholov yisroel so bring your haolam American cheese with you Smile. There is very limited online shopping so keep that in mind. Health insurance is free but the care can be mediocre and difficult to access. You need private insurance for dental, prescriptions, and eye care. If your kids are already in elementary school you can have a very hard time getting in because the schools are really full. Also, salaries are much much lower for many jobs than they are in the US so do your research to see how much ppl with your type of jobs make in Toronto.

About it being in towny or OOT, it is neither. It is in a different country with a different culture. It is definitely less cool or trendy than Lakewood or anywhere in town. It is however a more proper and formal culture than the tri state area, which is maybe why you won’t see most ppl doing errands in a snood. There is definitely a wealthy feel to the community, a lot of ppl are old money and there will be very rich girls in every class at BY. The parent body in BY in Toronto is probably wealthier than in any school in Lakewood, but it’s a very different flavor. A lot less trendy stuff but a lot of really fancy stuff. Ppl are more toned down in general but it’s still not a place where you don’t need to care what your kids wear. It might be hard for you to make friends and feel comfortable there if you didn’t grow up there, a lot of ppl there are related to each other, went to school there together etc. it would help if you have relatives there or soo to help you meet ppl. In general, it’s not that in towny but I find it a more judgy place than in town. I personally find it a bit old school in the mentality. That’s how I feel but I know some ppl don’t feel that way. It’s still a nice place and you will find that ppl are refined, polite, and tznius in the way they live

Hope all that is helpful!

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:23 am
amother Lime wrote:
I grew up in Toronto and now live in town. A few things- if you aren’t citizens that’s an issue, I don’t think it’s so easy to just move. The most expensive thing about living in Toronto is the housing which is a fortune. If you already have a house it might not be that expensive to live there. Tuition is comparable to other places and the schools give big discounts if you’re income eligible. There is some kind of government subsidy for daycare/preschool that makes it pretty cheap. You get paid maternity leave but need to work a certain number of hours a week to get it I think. Clothing and all retail are more expensive with less selection and sales but lots of ppl buy their clothing in the US especially if they travel there a lot. Food is somewhat more expensive but the only foods I find much more expensive when I visit Toronto is cholov yisroel so bring your haolam American cheese with you Smile. There is very limited online shopping so keep that in mind. Health insurance is free but the care can be mediocre and difficult to access. You need private insurance for dental, prescriptions, and eye care. If your kids are already in elementary school you can have a very hard time getting in because the schools are really full. Also, salaries are much much lower for many jobs than they are in the US so do your research to see how much ppl with your type of jobs make in Toronto.

About it being in towny or OOT, it is neither. It is in a different country with a different culture. It is definitely less cool or trendy than Lakewood or anywhere in town. It is however a more proper and formal culture than the tri state area, which is maybe why you won’t see most ppl doing errands in a snood. There is definitely a wealthy feel to the community, a lot of ppl are old money and there will be very rich girls in every class at BY. The parent body in BY in Toronto is probably wealthier than in any school in Lakewood, but it’s a very different flavor. A lot less trendy stuff but a lot of really fancy stuff. Ppl are more toned down in general but it’s still not a place where you don’t need to care what your kids wear. It might be hard for you to make friends and feel comfortable there if you didn’t grow up there, a lot of ppl there are related to each other, went to school there together etc. it would help if you have relatives there or soo to help you meet ppl. In general, it’s not that in towny but I find it a more judgy place than in town. I personally find it a bit old school in the mentality. That’s how I feel but I know some ppl don’t feel that way. It’s still a nice place and you will find that ppl are refined, polite, and tznius in the way they live

As a former Torontonian with some relatives there, I think you put it down really well.
It's not pressure per se but more the old money/old fashioned ness of the community. I wouldn't say things are super up to date but it's just a different lifestyle.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:26 am
There's definitely less of a a follow the leader attitude. You are not thought of less than if you don't keep up with the latest fashions or get a new wardrobe every season. People generally seem more confident there, not needing to follow everyone else.

There are still people who have their brand names.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:35 am
There are three distinct communities although two of them are bigger than the third. If you are looking for more low key but still is a big community, Thornhill might be a better location than down south (a more Lakewood type of area). The third option is Clanton park area which is between the two. I don't know enough info to be helpful with this last neighborhood though.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:40 am
amother Lime wrote:

I grew up there too and like how you put this. People won’t look down on you for not dressing your kids matching etc but there is a certain sense of haughtiness that many have if they belong to old money families. It’s not a splashy type of culture like much of Lakewood, more refined and principled.

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 11:56 am
It's a very nice community. Low crime in general (yes, anti-Semitism has gone up recently, same as everywhere else). Very slow paced, for example most mothers take a year maternity leave, no rushing back to work 6 weeks pp. A lot of mothers work part time. Pretty uncommon for both spouses to work full time jobs. There's is a decent amount of traffic, but don't think it's as bad as Lakewood. Usually lots of parking. Commuting is not such a thing for jobs. Most people work close to home. Also not really school buses, carpool is more common.

That said, I would be weary of moving here.
Because housing is so expensive, a lot of young families who don't have a ton of money are leaving for cheaper places. So that leaves mostly the very wealthy families and their kids and a few token yeshivish families who are the rebbeim, kollel yungeleit etc. because the schools or kollel that employ them help with housing costs. I think the community is actually shrinking. I heard around 30-40 families left just this past summer, and similar numbers from summer before that.

There are also a few middle class families, but getting less and less as the years go by. I've heard rumors that the very wealthy families are going to start some more housing funds for families in the community who are struggling to find a house. I guess they are nervous that they and their kids will be the only ones left here in a few more years 😂

amother
Red

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:17 pm
amother Coral wrote:
I grew up there too and like how you put this. People won’t look down on you for not dressing your kids matching etc but there is a certain sense of haughtiness that many have if they belong to old money families. It’s not a splashy type of culture like much of Lakewood, more refined and principled.

I'm laughing. I'm from one of those "old money" families and have posted upthread that I go out regularly in a snood.
That said, I do agree with the general principle to some extent...

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:25 pm
amother Red wrote:
I'm laughing. I'm from one of those "old money" families and have posted upthread that I go out regularly in a snood.
That said, I do agree with the general principle to some extent...

Did you just give yourself away? 😜😜

amother
Red

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:28 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Did you just give yourself away? 😜😜

Anon for that reason Smile
The second I said I go out in a snood I knew I was exposing myself LOL

amother
Jean

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:41 pm

amother
Fern

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:47 pm
amother Jean wrote:
Teachers that don’t wear Shaitels?

Definitely not common. But I think there are maybe 2 in the whole BY and pretty sure they are Sephardi.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 12:58 pm
amother Fern wrote:
Definitely not common. But I think there are maybe 2 in the whole BY and pretty sure they are Sephardi.

There are for sure teachers who wear snoods/hats/ tichels in the schools but it is much less common. Some of them are Ashkenaz

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 1:38 pm
BY High school had two teachers who didn’t wear shaitels both not frum had been teaching there for ages they both probably retired by now. I can only think of one sefardi teacher at BY elementary that wears a tichel there, it’s very unusual in Toronto. Yes ppl wear snood going out on errands but it’s just as uncommon as it is in Lakewood if that is what OP is trying to get away from…

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 11:07 pm
Thank you all very much - you definately gave me what to think about. It sounds quite nice to me actually. Sounds balanced.

Does anyone know about the seminary - I asked upthread about it for a friend.
Thanks

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:05 am
amother Smokey wrote:
There are for sure teachers who wear snoods/hats/ tichels in the schools but it is much less common. Some of them are Ashkenaz

there is one in bnos bais yaakov and tiferes, if she still teaches.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 12:06 am
amother Red wrote:
Anon for that reason Smile
The second I said I go out in a snood I knew I was exposing myself LOL

this is making me laugh because how ridiculous would it be if I think I know who you are? lol.
is that how few women wear snoods??

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:07 am
amother Mauve wrote:
there is one in bnos bais yaakov and tiferes, if she still teaches.

She does

amother
Red

Post Sun, Dec 24 2023, 9:12 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all very much - you definately gave me what to think about. It sounds quite nice to me actually. Sounds balanced.

Does anyone know about the seminary - I asked upthread about it for a friend.
Thanks

The seminary is a great place. Its about half Torontonian and half not.
This year they only have Monsey and Lakewood girls making up the non-Torontonian sector as they decided pretty late that they were opening and only publicized there...
In the past though, pre covid, they had a greater range of girls.
The Toronto girls range from yeshivish to chasidish (theres a large bobov community whose girls mostly stay) and most of the girls that come are yeshivish for the most part.
The principal is an absolutely fantastic person! Worth it to come just for her IMO Smile
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating