Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Leave tag on if got bris gift from TJ Maxx?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

lamplighter

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:12 pm
What was that other thread called.....you know the one about materialism in the frum communities. Case in point.
It's not just hurting us financially but it's breaking down the basics of appreciation and gift giving.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 4:29 pm
I personally do try to think about the type of person I am gifting to

So if I am buying something from a Tjmax, marshalls or even target type store for someone who only buys in Jewish stores head to toe, and I cant afford the $80 stretchy, I get a stroller toy, a nice blanket, swaddles, stroller bassinet sheets, ect. - something that is in budget for me and would still be useful for that crowd.

If it is the type of person who doesn't care about these things, I try to get what would be practical for them.

If you are already going to a store, how big of a deal is it to take a few minutes ito think about what would appeal to the person.

amother
Chestnut

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 5:21 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
These are stretchies https://elysandco.com/collections/footies
In my circles babies wear stretchies with either snaps down the front or snaps in the back. the ones with the zipper and and snap on the top carters style is ultra nerdy and only for pajamas
Mostly only jewish stores sell stretchies so if I get from a tjmaxx kind of store it feelsnerdy bcz theyre usually not so cute and fit funny

Im not a fancy type I dont even have money but this is what im used to. Everything my baby wears is jewish style even if its passed down from my neighbors baby

Just like some of you can’t imagine that we don’t understand intuitively that TJ Maxx is an embarrassing baby gift, some of us can’t even imagine thinking that a baby looks nerdy or the family has no standards unless the baby is in a fancy velour outfit with annoying snaps. My babies looked so cute and I’ve never been to one of these frum stores.

TJ Maxx does carry higher end brands just discounted. In my mind it’s similar to century 21 and I always used to see a lot of chassidish ladies in the baby department there.

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:12 pm
Always leave the tag on & give a gift receipt - wherever it came from. Most babies grow out of things so quickly anyway. If its not got for her baby, she could return it - or pass it on with the tag & the gift receipt too!
I get a lot of hand me downs and am fine with that, but If I received a gift of baby clothes from someone without the tags on, I would assume it was already used.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:21 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Ultra nerdy? I find them so much more practical and easy to use than the ones with snaps. And also zippers break much less frequently than snaps.

But they're pajamas! The sleepers for my toddlers are also only for pajamas
Idk my snaps never broke

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 6:24 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
I personally do try to think about the type of person I am gifting to

So if I am buying something from a Tjmax, marshalls or even target type store for someone who only buys in Jewish stores head to toe, and I cant afford the $80 stretchy, I get a stroller toy, a nice blanket, swaddles, stroller bassinet sheets, ect. - something that is in budget for me and would still be useful for that crowd.

If it is the type of person who doesn't care about these things, I try to get what would be practical for them.

If you are already going to a store, how big of a deal is it to take a few minutes ito think about what would appeal to the person.

Because not everyone has the same budget at all or even close to it.
I think this is a great example of the "haves" having little awareness of people with vastly different budgets and the stretching they need to do to buy a gift. And the putting down of people who probably spent a lot more time and effort picking out an inexpensive stretchy that still looks nice is just immature and sad--asking what was the point, they should have just given me the equivalent gift card to another store or not even bothered...that is really a lack of awareness and appreciation. I guess it's better for some of us not to give gifts at all in that view. Probably those people would complain about getting sheets or another baby blanket (or it wouldn't be the right brand), too.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:27 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Idk my snaps never broke

Jewish stretchies are a relatively new concept. The other kinds of stretchies never used to be considered as pyjamas.

Regarldess, even if you do only use as pyjamas, what's wrong with gifting pyjamas for a baby? And why would it go to waste if someone gifted it to you?

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:41 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
Jewish stretchies are a relatively new concept. The other kinds of stretchies never used to be considered as pyjamas.

Regarldess, even if you do only use as pyjamas, what's wrong with gifting pyjamas for a baby? And why would it go to waste if someone gifted it to you?

Truthfully? I don't buy them until they're halfway out of stretchies. I really only use the stretchies. And I use stretchies until I have to switch because they're walking. It just keeps everything so neat and put together I think it's much smarter than Carter's pajamas that is a looser fit and will still bunch up

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:49 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Truthfully? I don't buy them until they're halfway out of stretchies. I really only use the stretchies. And I use stretchies until I have to switch because they're walking. It just keeps everything so neat and put together I think it's much smarter than Carter's pajamas that is a looser fit and will still bunch up

Wait! What? You keep them in fancy pajamas all day until they're walking? Past their first birthday?!

As soon as we're past the potato stage, at like 3 months I switch to cute onesies and pants outfits which they keep till they're around 18 months...

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:59 pm
I buy gifts from TJ Maxx, and I usually stick to pretty blankets and baby toys, sometimes I'll do outfits if they look a little more elegant to me. (I got such a cute white one with little black polka dots the other day.) But honestly - I can't afford Jewish store prices for myself for the most part and I'm also morally opposed to spending that much on a tiny stretchie. People gifted me from Jewish stores and I cringed a little thinking how much they spent on this one tiny outfit, that my baby will outgrow in a flash. I was very appreciative, and my kids wore it all and looked adorable, but it did feel a bit wasteful to me. My sils in Lakewood will only put Jewish brands on their kids, even though they're all kollel couples; I don't know how they're affording it.

I think it's the gift giver's job to try to give something the recipient will enjoy, and it's the recipient's job to be grateful no matter what and look on the gift with an ayin tov and be appreciative that someone cared enough to spend some of their hard-earned money on you, regardless of where the gift came from and what it is.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:08 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Idk my snaps never broke

There are pajama ones and there are nicer ones.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:13 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Wait! What? You keep them in fancy pajamas all day until they're walking? Past their first birthday?!

As soon as we're past the potato stage, at like 3 months I switch to cute onesies and pants outfits which they keep till they're around 18 months...

Well once they turn around a year I usually buy tshirts and pants Bec sometime throughout that season I hope to not need them anymore but I will still have a few around. Crawling babies for sure only in stretchies when the tshirts won't stay down anyway

flowerpower

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:20 pm
I got a blanket from someone and she left the receipt in the bag. It was $11 from TJ Max. It was my most used furry blanket. I used it for my newborn all winter. Tj max means a good item at a good price

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:22 pm
Is it just me who leaves my baby in “pajamas” all day? (Carters type with the zipper)
I mean she is a baby…
If I’m going to wedding then fine she’ll wear something fancier but like for every day what’s the problem with $5 pajamas that are super easy for changing?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:31 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Is it just me who leaves my baby in “pajamas” all day? (Carters type with the zipper)
I mean she is a baby…
If I’m going to wedding then fine she’ll wear something fancier but like for every day what’s the problem with $5 pajamas that are super easy for changing?

I did too. I usually changed him from what he slept in to a new one. Around 6m was when I started really putting clothes on him.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:55 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
There are pajama ones and there are nicer ones.

To me they're all the same if it has a zipper and that little flap on top
I shop by the sales and I take hand me downs but only stretchies all the way. Someone even gave me some tshirts and pants her baby wasn't using anymore but I don't think I'll ever put them on....

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:07 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
To me they're all the same if it has a zipper and that little flap on top
I shop by the sales and I take hand me downs but only stretchies all the way. Someone even gave me some tshirts and pants her baby wasn't using anymore but I don't think I'll ever put them on....

So after your baby has a bath at night, you put another fancy stretchie on?

I know many people who like using nice stretchies (I do to, but I did plenty of others also, no need to get all dressed up when staying and home and needing to get changed a few times a day between spit up and blowouts), but none of them use them for the night also.

Also the ones I buy have snaps, not a zipper, and no flaps on top either.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:12 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
So after your baby has a bath at night, you put another fancy stretchie on?

I know many people who like using nice stretchies, but none of them use them for the night also.

Also the ones I buy have snaps, not a zipper, and no flaps on top either.

A basic cotton or velour stretchie of course. With a sleep sack.
My fancy stretchies are the ones with embroidery or knit....

mandr

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:15 am
Why would you dress your baby in pjs all day even if they’re staying home?! They make such cute comfy outfits that are more presentable. I would hate wearing pjs all day. Makes me feel so un-put-together. Wouldn’t do that for my baby either. Cute simple footie or onesie for hot days is so much better.

GLUE

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:52 am
mandr wrote:
Why would you dress your baby in pjs all day even if they’re staying home?! They make such cute comfy outfits that are more presentable. I would hate wearing pjs all day. Makes me feel so un-put-together. Wouldn’t do that for my baby either. Cute simple footie or onesie for hot days is so much better.

What some people call baby pj other people call them baby outfits.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics