Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Leave tag on if got bris gift from TJ Maxx?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:25 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Because not everyone has the same budget at all or even close to it.
I think this is a great example of the "haves" having little awareness of people with vastly different budgets and the stretching they need to do to buy a gift. And the putting down of people who probably spent a lot more time and effort picking out an inexpensive stretchy that still looks nice is just immature and sad--asking what was the point, they should have just given me the equivalent gift card to another store or not even bothered...that is really a lack of awareness and appreciation. I guess it's better for some of us not to give gifts at all in that view. Probably those people would complain about getting sheets or another baby blanket (or it wouldn't be the right brand), too.

There are two types of people who would never put their kids in an item not from a jewish store:

- the young, immature ones who complain about gifts. They will never be happy unless I get the fancy stretchy from the fancy jewish store - they also won't be happy with a paci clip. I avoid immature people in general, but if its a work obligation I get what I can afford and don't care what they think, if its family we chip in and get a group gift up to something they won' t turn there nose up too.

- people who care about fashion and wouldn't put there kids in anything without the right jewish "fit" or look, but aren't snobbish about gifts. Those people usually are so happy with a stroller toy or a swaddle or a blanket or a toy from a nice brand that they will actually use. And if they don't like what I got they can return to tjmaxx or marshals or target, and will happily find something else they need or can use in those stores.
Like this:https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/swaddleme-3-pack-cotton-swaddle-wraps-baby/7648006?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FKids%2FBaby%20Clothing%20%26%20Shoes%2FBaby%20Gear%20%26%20Essentials&color=020

Then there are the people who care enough about fashion that would totally appreciate a cute outfit from tjmaxx that is up to date and not the carters look, but maybe doesn't have the jewish "fit". I get those people an outfit. Like this:https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/pl-baby-by-petit-lem-2-pack-long-sleeve-footies-baby/7575886?origin=category-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home%2FKids%2FBaby%20Clothing%20%26%20Shoes&color=680

Then there are the people who I know are on such a tight budget and are also maybe not so fashion savvy the best gift for them is volume over fashion, and the only new things they will get will be what they are gifted. For those people I pick out more of the cheap, but nice items so it is more helpful to them. So like all three of these: https://www.nordstromrack.com/.....r=031

The uber wealthy, who won't use my gift and I can't afford anything they would actually use, I will gift something personal like food with a nice card or chip into group gifts.

Point is, I try to think about the person I am gifting to and get them what they would like.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 7:42 am
amother Daphne wrote:
I didn’t see anyone mention this. Ask your rav, but it could be genevas daas to take the tag off and make the person think you spent a lot more on the outfit than you actually did.

She's not going to put on a tag from another store. How is it misleading tho have a tagless outfit?????

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:11 pm
amother Blue wrote:
She's not going to put on a tag from another store. How is it misleading tho have a tagless outfit?????

Meaning, if it's a fancy company, but you brought it in a discount store, if you cut off the discount tag but only leave on the fancy tag, then the recipients will likely think you paid a lot more for than you did.
She's right that it might be an issue, I remember taking a Jewish ethics class in college and I did a report on lying, and one of the facts that I came along in my research said that if you happen to be walking along the road and you meet your friend, and they get the impression that you came out special to meet them, and you let them believe that, that's considered lying and it's not okay. So it probably falls under the same category.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:27 pm
GLUE wrote:
What some people call baby pj other people call them baby outfits.

I've seen them sold everywhere called Sleep N' Plays. They are meant for your kid to wear to bed and also around the house. Like these:

https://www.target.com/p/carte.....87401

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:52 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Meaning, if it's a fancy company, but you brought it in a discount store, if you cut off the discount tag but only leave on the fancy tag, then the recipients will likely think you paid a lot more for than you did.
She's right that it might be an issue, I remember taking a Jewish ethics class in college and I did a report on lying, and one of the facts that I came along in my research said that if you happen to be walking along the road and you meet your friend, and they get the impression that you came out special to meet them, and you let them believe that, that's considered lying and it's not okay. So it probably falls under the same category.

It's the quality of the company that made it. Facts.
If people are bored and going to start calculating and speculating how much you spent... I feel like that's on them

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 1:53 pm
You know, there's no obligation to accompany gifts with receipt, written or oral price tags

mandr

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:00 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I've seen them sold everywhere called Sleep N' Plays. They are meant for your kid to wear to bed and also around the house. Like these:

https://www.target.com/p/carte.....87401

And these breed a generation of youngsters going out in public wearing pjs-esque fuzzy joggers with bunny rabbits printed on them.

I'm shocked at the way (mostly) non-Jewish teens dress when they're not at home - like the stuff you wear to bed!

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:02 pm
mandr wrote:
And these breed a generation of youngsters going out in public wearing pjs-esque fuzzy joggers with bunny rabbits printed on them.

I'm shocked at the way (mostly) non-Jewish teens dress when they're not at home - like the stuff you wear to bed!

No more than frum style stretchies breed clothing that you can't take off without someone helping you behind (oh wait, maybe they do!)

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:03 pm
amother Ecru wrote:

When an item gets sold, there are many vendors that purchase.
I can't even it imagine being an issue making sure someone knew how much I paid for something. The value is still there.
It's different if it's from aliexpress and with designer tags that recipient feels like they are getting the real deal, when it's in fact a fake. (not that I have an issue, but I can see where an issue can be made here)
My two cents. But I don't know the whole Torah and I could be wrong.

GLUE

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:06 pm
amother Ecru wrote:

This is so not my world, I would never think if someone left a fancy tag on that she paid a pile of $$ for it.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 27 2023, 2:10 pm
mandr wrote:

Putting a kid in strechies/footies/pajamas or whatever else you want to call it for less than a year, most if not all of which time they won’t remember, is not what leads to the breakdown of American society.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics