Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Things that make you think, wow they are really wealthy!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 7:58 am
My ex uncles family owns the leasing rights on aspen mountain. I grew up surrounded by a lot of materialism and money even though we really didn't have any but most of my parents friends, their siblings etc were all well off so I am used to a certain level of wealth but that to me was a level I couldn't relate to and still don't.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 7:59 am
Someone who's heart doesn't do a flip every time a kid asks for something basic....to me that's a wealthy person.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:02 am
When they post things on the neighborhood chat like " looking for a great ski instructor for a 2.5 year old!" DH and I were rolling on the floor over that one.

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:06 am
These made me laugh

We once had a housekeeper who quit because she was offered a job for double our pay to keep someone’s dog company during the day

amother
Diamond

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:08 am
amother Mayflower wrote:
Getting rid of a nice sofa because they are bored of it after a few months.

(I got lucky and bought it for 400 shekel. No clue why they wanted the money though lol. It probably cost 5k as did the new one.

I know someone that got rid of 8 sofas after a couple of months because they werent practical enough. They didn't even sell them, just gave them away for free.

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:09 am
Owning multiple homes -
large palatial residence; summer home; shabbos getaway; Florida/California home and apartment in Eretz Yisroel in addition to booking hotels at a whim when needed

Flying first class

Purchasing jewelry at a whim

Purchasing custom made clothes at a whim

Full time household help

Personal Secretary/Driver

Having a financial advisor on speed dial

Donations upwards of one million annually

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:13 am
Wallpaper. lol
I don’t know why, but when I see a house with fancy wallpaper, I’m just like wow these people have made it!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:14 am
I grew up living a few doors away from a really wealthy family. They lived exactly the same way as all the other neighbors, for a few years, and then made Aliyah. I visited them years later in their simple but comfortable Israeli apartment.

Sign of really wealthy: Plaque on the building of a very well-known Yeshiva that they built

I heard that tzedaka collectors showing up at their house would think they got the wrong address.....

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:21 am
On a simple level
People who shop/live without looking at prices
(My inlaws aren't wealthy, but have enough that they have no idea how much things costs)

People who redo their home just because and get entire new expensive wardrobe each season

People who have multiple homes

People who travel very often to exotic places like it's no big deal

People who have hired help for every single thing
And a live in maid

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:28 am
People who do exotic vacations multiple times a year

Shop whenever the mood strikes them and never end up using what they bought

They have a major pull in the kehilla they're affiliated with

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:31 am
"Some people are so poor, all they have is money"

People who have loving family- parents, siblings, husband, children and they're healthy and happy and close to each other....I always think "wow they are so wealthy, they have something you can't buy with money it is such a bracha"

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:31 am
amother Camellia wrote:
When somebody doesn't have their couch against a wall.

This is brilliant..true sign of a wealthy home.

amother
Fern

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:38 am
amother Azure wrote:

I'm so confused about that couch against a wall. What does it mean? A big enough room to have a couch, chairs, and a coffee table?

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:39 am
amother Fern wrote:
I'm so confused about that couch against a wall. What does it mean? A big enough room to have a couch, chairs, and a coffee table?

I think it means you have nothing that the couch is hiding like peeling paint etc but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

growingmum

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:46 am
I thought it meant that if a large L shaped couch can fit comfortably in the middle of a room it has to be in a large room.. more space saving would be to put in a corner

amother
Hosta

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 8:55 am
amother Acacia wrote:
When they give away very expensive items like it’s no big deal. Like “oh those earrings look so much better on you, keep them!” Or when I try to pay them back for something, and they’re just like “oh, whatever, don’t worry about it, I don’t even remember how much it was”

To me that's called generous. Most very rich people I know don't do that.

dats me

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 9:00 am
amother Azure wrote:

I’m in the process of researching furniture for my new apartment ( in Israel), and according to all the American interior designers articles and videos that I’m looking at, putting couches against the wall is a no no. According to them it should be away from the walls , even a foot or two makes a difference in the whole look of the room. It makes me laugh because they are obviously not dealing with Israeli size apartments where that’s not realistic. So I guess it’s accurate that if couches are not against the walls, there’s ample space and proper design in the house.

writinggirl

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:02 am
amother Camellia wrote:
When somebody doesn't have their couch against a wall.

I really like this one and it makes me want to know more about you! Are you a designer, do you have a good eye for design or are you someone who likes reading about design and style? Did you notice this or is this a known thing in the design world?

I can think of billionaire families whose houses I've been in who have couches against their walls in their family rooms/dens but not in their formal living rooms.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:09 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Now *that* is indeed a deal in a life time! Smile
I know of a 2nd hand consignment shop where Israel's very rich women drop their staff to be resold. They don't get tons of money but even rich ladies like to get something for their stuff as opposed to give it to the cleaning lady. It's about the feeling of selling it and not being a 'freier' so to speak.

reselling their "staff"?? Now thats wealth!! Unless you mean the kind of staff that Moshe Rabbeinu turned into a snake. Then it becomes a whole new level....

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Dec 26 2023, 10:25 am
I once overheard a lady complaining to her friend that she can never find the clothing she wants to wear, is it in the Brooklyn house, the Lakewood house, the bungalow, the condo in Florida or the apartment in Israel.

A friend from a very wealthy family was once telling me that her family is so spontaneous, they don't buy airline tickets in advance, they just decide that day what time they want to fly and buy the tickets. She couldn't understand why the rest of us don't do the same.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics