Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DS Doesn't want to go to sleepaway camp - thoughts??
Previous  1  2  3  Next

My 5th grade boy...
Goes to overnight camp  
 13%  [ 8 ]
Goes to daycamp  
 80%  [ 49 ]
Doesn't have a long summer break due to mandatory "school" (even if it's called something else in the summer)  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 61

mom of 8

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:52 am
I've heard that there is a camp in far Rockaway also. May camp simcha? And there is another camp in flatbush but I'm forgetting the name

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 7:57 am
My going into 8th grade son doesn’t want to go and I think that’s very normal. I wouldn’t mind if he was a bit more outgoing but he’s a good healthy kid and I don’t think it will help to push him. I’m lucky to live in Passaic where there are good teen camp options for boys in this grade and he has quite a few friends that are also not going away.
I assumed your question would be about a much older boy. It’s just not a thing to send boys or girls to sleep away at that age here they’re really very young.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 8:00 am
There is also yedidim in Flatbush. It’s a little different than the other cams because they have more late night nights and trips later hours to sort of mimic a sleep away camp but at home

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:18 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
There is also yedidim in Flatbush. It’s a little different than the other cams because they have more late night nights and trips later hours to sort of mimic a sleep away camp but at home

What kind of boys go to yedidim? Mostly flatbush? Or others also?

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:19 am
mom of 8 wrote:
Chaim day camp is in flatbush. Noam is in bp. Chaim is yeshivish/ flatbush with some boys from bo. Noam is yeshivish/ heimish. I've sent to both and we're very happy . I'm not exact on timing but I think they're both around 9-4:30. Both provide busing . Noam is 2200 and has a 400 off early bird special if you register inJanuary . They have 2 days a week sports and swim and 2 days a week trips or shows after learning programs. They also have a few late nights in the summer where they come home really late. They have their own buses and drive the kids home even late at night. Chaim, if I remember correctly has sports leagues and does trips once a week and also a few late night trips but you usually have to pick up after late nights. I haven't sent in a few yrs Bec my sons are in HS / bm. But I'm starting with my little boys this yr. I hope the info is still correct. The secretaries in both places are nice and can answer any questions

This is so helpful! Do you know how to get through to either place? Couldn't find info online. And which neighborhoods is bussing offered to/from in either case? And is it a mix of schools/friend groups? Or everyone coming with their friends.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:24 am
My son wanted to go following 5th and I said no way. He went to day camp with most of his grade. Last year finishing 6th I was more willing to send him but he got waitlisted and I was fine with him staying. His bunk at day camp still had a big group. This year finishing 7th I am really actively looking to send him. Almost no boys stay for day camp. And the lack of structure in the afternoons is a real issue. You dont need to make camp a pressure at this age. Its so young.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:25 am
blueiz wrote:
Amother Forestgreen - what did your son do the summers before 7th grade?

And amother whose 5th grader wasn't sure - what was his other option?

So validating to hear that it's not just us Smile

When my son was going into 5th grade sleep away camp wasn’t even on his radar. He went to a local day camp. Going into 6th grade, he went to Dora Golding for 2.5 weeks, which was perfect for him. He was away, but it wasn’t for too long. This year (currently in 6th) he is going to CDG first half, which is 5-ish weeks.
I can’t give any names or info, but my recommendation is to go upstate or to Brooklyn and send him to day camp. Or come to the 5T and send him to day camp here, we have some really great ones!

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:40 am
If you go upstate camp aguda has a whole program for day campers. They have bussing and the boys get a full camp experience and then go home and sleep in their own beds Smile

It might help your son get more comfortable with the idea of sleep away for the future because he can see what camp is all about.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:44 am
mom of 8 wrote:
I've heard that there is a camp in far Rockaway also. May camp simcha? And there is another camp in flatbush but I'm forgetting the name

Simcha day camp is in FR. In the area, there is also Hakayitz, Areivim, Machane Yisrael….all have bunks for going into 5th and even older. I’m sure I’ve left some out as well, but these are the big ones that I remember.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 10:53 am
I'm in monsey but almost every day camp goes till 8th grade. My son will be going into 8th grade this year and is looking to work on the day camp he's went to his whole life. He has zero interest in sleep away camp and I definitely am not pushing him. I see no reason he needs to go if he doesn't want to. If you want to come to monsey there are many camps. There are some that do really nice overnight trips that's the kids love.

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:14 pm
Also upstate is a daycamp run by rabbi kohn, husband of Sarah rivkah kohn of links, called chaverimboyz I think. Supposed to be well run and fun

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:18 pm
Op how does day camp not in your city
Help you ? Am I misunderstanding? You would. Relocate for the summer or send to a day camp? Five towns has great camps. Machane yisroel is a great choice for that age as well as simcha.

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:25 pm
amother Denim wrote:
Op how does day camp not in your city
Help you ? Am I misunderstanding? You would. Relocate for the summer or send to a day camp? Five towns has great camps. Machane yisroel is a great choice for that age as well as simcha.

With most of the frum boys his age going to overnight camp, or families using the summer to spend time with in town relatives, there aren't many options for boys "like him". When he was younger this didn't matter to me as much, but as he gets older, I'd ideally like him to spend the summer with boys more haskafically aligned. As I wrote have an option job-wise to be in NY (either brooklyn or upstate) for the summer so I'm seeing what options might exist for him if we did that, and whether that could be a good overall solution.

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:25 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Simcha day camp is in FR. In the area, there is also Hakayitz, Areivim, Machane Yisrael….all have bunks for going into 5th and even older. I’m sure I’ve left some out as well, but these are the big ones that I remember.

Do you know anything about these camps? Like what makes someone choose one over the other?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:30 pm
blueiz wrote:
Do you know anything about these camps? Like what makes someone choose one over the other?

Hakayitz is definitely more tame than the others, more learning less glitz.
The rest are really similar, and attract kids from all the schools.
Simcha is in Darchei
I don’t know where Hakayitz is
Areivim is in yeshiva katana of LI
Machane Yisrael is in south shore

amother
Dahlia

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:42 pm
Does he have any cousins his age?

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 12:53 pm
amother Dahlia wrote:
Does he have any cousins his age?

I wish, but no - all much older/younger, or girls

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:05 pm
blueiz wrote:
With most of the frum boys his age going to overnight camp, or families using the summer to spend time with in town relatives, there aren't many options for boys "like him". When he was younger this didn't matter to me as much, but as he gets older, I'd ideally like him to spend the summer with boys more haskafically aligned. As I wrote have an option job-wise to be in NY (either brooklyn or upstate) for the summer so I'm seeing what options might exist for him if we did that, and whether that could be a good overall solution.

As someone who lives in flatbush. I would say if you have the option to go upstate then definitely do that. So much nicer there in the summer than in the stifling city.

I personally cannot go upstate due to work and my son goes to chaim day camp and is happy there, but I would definitely go upstate if I could

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 1:05 pm
A lot of camps will only have 1-2 bunks for 5th grade, which shows that the demand is a lot less for that age! I sent two boys to two different camps at that age. I also live in a hick town that has limited camp options, which made a difference. My third stayed home.....no interest.

blueiz

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 2:16 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
As someone who lives in flatbush. I would say if you have the option to go upstate then definitely do that. So much nicer there in the summer than in the stifling city.

I personally cannot go upstate due to work and my son goes to chaim day camp and is happy there, but I would definitely go upstate if I could

I hear that. Since your son goes...Can you tell me a little bit about Chaim Day Camp? What's the general schedule like? Type of boys?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children