Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Illusions - Ami Serial
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 1:50 am
I find it unreadable. The competition and emptiness is too much for me. Way too petty.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:24 am
Delete

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 3:59 am
Let’s not insult the author personally. She posts on this site sometimes.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:08 am
amother Brickred wrote:

Agreed. But she probably gets a kick out of reading our discussion 😀

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:08 am
amother Brickred wrote:

Agreed. But she probably gets a kick out of reading our discussion 😀

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:50 am
The juvenile language is more a statement on the author than on the story and characters, this seems to be a signature of her writing style I notice it from serial to serial. I don't know if it's on purpose to give the stories a spoof like effect or if she truly doesn't see that all her characters from story to story sound the same.

The wealth thing is definitely confusing I think she is trying to make the family upper middle class and super competitive but then maybe she missed the nuance that the mother in law sponsors lunch especially if she thought it was her idea. Again, more a statement on the author than on the actual story I think.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 6:57 am
This convo seems to be heading towards more lashon hara than good fun discussion of the article....

amother
DarkRed

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 8:31 am
So far I'm finding it a mumble jumble of confusion. I hope that it changes soon as I really enjoy the ami on shabbos...

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 9:54 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
This convo seems to be heading towards more lashon hara than good fun discussion of the article....

I've met the author in person. She's a lovely wonderful person who does alot of Chesed. At the same time, I am not a huge fan of her writing. That's okay. There's different styles of writing for different people.

Clearly she has a huge audience because they wouldn't be publishing her books and she wouldn't keep writing serials otherwise.

I liked some of her older work more. That's okay. Critiquing a style of writing isn't a reflection of the authors character or skills.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 10:20 am
What happened this week?
Personally I love this type of story, I so can’t relate to any of the characters I get such a kick out of it.
Easy fun reading

it’s okay!

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 10:24 am
Right now the story seems super predictable. Everyone is presenting a perfect life. Everyone really struggles behind closed doors. Everyone thinks they're the only one. I wonder if as the story moves along it will change.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 10:40 am
I don’t have the greatest memory so I dropped the story. Too much going on.
I’d enjoy the story if it would focus on just one couple, max two.
I always enjoyed Riva’s work. If you’re reading this, please accept it as constructive criticism. If you focus on max 2 couples it will be easier for us to follow. Don’t forget it’s just a weekly read so it’s hard to remember so much information from week to week.

Tao

Post Sun, Jan 07 2024, 1:51 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
I don’t have the greatest memory so I dropped the story. Too much going on.
I’d enjoy the story if it would focus on just one couple, max two.
I always enjoyed Riva’s work. If you’re reading this, please accept it as constructive criticism. If you focus on max 2 couples it will be easier for us to follow. Don’t forget it’s just a weekly read so it’s hard to remember so much information from week to week.

Same! I love Riva Pomerantz; she's one of my favorite authors and the reason I switched from Mishpacha to Ami along with her!
But I will say that the stories where she focuses on one person/couple with maybe another smaller supporting issue on the side were much more coherent and easy to follow, and I felt the characters were more fleshed out and we felt for them more. Her older books stuck more to this style; she started to broaden the amount of characters with Six Degrees.

It's a matter of taste; maybe she feels that just one person/couple doesn't give the story enough. And hey, I'm no professional, so I won't pretend to know better. Just my opinion! Smile

Tao

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:33 pm
Did anyone think when Nesanel said he'd hit someone, that he'd literally hit someone out of anger? There I was thinking oh my, he's got some massive anger issue or something, but then he starts talking about how his car is fine and I'm like ooooohh, that kind of "hit someone"
I think I've spent too much time on imamother, even though I avoid the abuse threads LOL

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:48 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
I've met the author in person. She's a lovely wonderful person who does alot of Chesed. At the same time, I am not a huge fan of her writing. That's okay. There's different styles of writing for different people.

Clearly she has a huge audience because they wouldn't be publishing her books and she wouldn't keep writing serials otherwise.

I liked some of her older work more. That's okay. Critiquing a style of writing isn't a reflection of the authors character or skills.

Same, liked her older stuff much more
It’s disappointing so far.

Librarian

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:52 pm
Tao wrote:
Did anyone think when Nesanel said he'd hit someone, that he'd literally hit someone out of anger? There I was thinking oh my, he's got some massive anger issue or something, but then he starts talking about how his car is fine and I'm like ooooohh, that kind of "hit someone"
I think I've spent too much time on imamother, even though I avoid the abuse threads LOL

No because in a previous chapter his terrible driving was discussed

amother
Green

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:55 pm
I think it’s getting interesting.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:50 pm
Why didn’t he show any concern at all over the person he hit who is in the hospital.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:56 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Why didn’t he show any concern at all over the person he hit who is in the hospital.

I also thought it was so strange, like he’s only thinking of himself.

Tao

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:56 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:

He did, but he was also terrified about what would happen to him.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room