Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Plus Sides of Poverty (light)
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:03 pm
You don't need to worry about which wig to wear with which outfit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:05 pm
When you shop clearance or from hand-me-down bags, there are a lot less decisions to make! Frees up so much mental space!

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:10 pm
Marbe nechasim marbe daaga is a real thing, ladies!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:14 pm
Freedom with no cleaning lady in my home to watch me
Dont need security or body guards
Who would want to be rich honestly

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:15 pm
Lab grown or mined diamonds? Nah! It's Cubic Zirconia all the way, baby. (and takanah compliant)

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Being poor is rough. But there are some bright spots! Let's share!

My first:
Supper is often like a game show competition, as you try to come up with a healthy, balanced, delicious meal with just what you have in the pantry! For the gold: 2lb of rice, 6 eggs, 12 onions, 1 bag pinto beans, and a few spices for a meal to serve 8! Plus there's lots of on-site critique.

-I don't have to worry about ruining expensive cuts of meat
-don't have to worry about taking my clothes to the cleaners/ ruining them in the regular washing machine
-I can mop my house (apartment) pretty quickly!
-don't have to worry about ruining a 10k wig when I wash and set it (myself)
-I don't worry about losing expensive jewelry or having to polish "all" my silver

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:17 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
You don't need to worry about which wig to wear with which outfit.

Or which wig to wear at all! No paying for wig/was n set etc... I actually do come from a community where women wear wigs.tichles are just cheaper and easier

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:17 pm
Im never bored!

cleaning burns my calories

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:19 pm
Uch why am I not finding this funny?? I think I'm toooo stressed. Gotta lighten up. Carry on ladies!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:20 pm
I can plug my vacuum into one outlet and clean the whole house without changing outlets.

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:23 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Uch why am I not finding this funny?? I think I'm toooo stressed. Gotta lighten up. Carry on ladies!

No, it's not funny at all. I will miss a wedding this week because I refuse to wear a tichel to a wedding.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:26 pm
Many of the budget line items people post here on imamother don't apply to us.

We pay no tuition.
We pay nothing for health insurance (medicaid).
We don't do vacations.
We don't have a cleaning lady.
We don't do manicures/pedicures/shaitel sets
We VERY rarely BUY clothing (hooray for hand me downs).
We don't own a home. No mortgage (ok, rent, but no crying when something leaks or breaks- we call the landlord's assistant).

What we spend money on----- rent, utilities, food (not poor enough for food stamps), credit card bills, car payments, car insurance. $5000 a month and that's IT. All these people who talk about only making it on a $6000 a month income because the other $6000 a month income is becoming a stay at home mom..... I'm here to tell you it CAN work. Not without stress or debt, but..... Smile

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:26 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
No, it's not funny at all. I will miss a wedding this week because I refuse to wear a tichel to a wedding.

I’ve had to do that because sheitels hurt me too much and I come home like the grinch

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:27 pm
amother Cerise wrote:

awww! I do it all the time! Not the norm in my community but I DO get compliments. Just learn to wrap them nicely. Don't miss a wedding for that! They want you there no matter what you wear! (Maybe don't go naked though....)

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:28 pm
amother Sage wrote:
I don't have to remember to transfer stuff from one purse to another, I only have one

Not only that . The one purse I have is always empty !

scintilla

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:28 pm
Ha! I love all of these!!

I don't have to worry about what's in style because I'm not buying anything new anyhow!

I don't have to figure out which kid should share a room with who since they're all in one room.

Don't have to agonize over when to move the baby out of my room since there's no space in the kids room for another bed anyhow.

Renter's benefits - so many things the super takes care of, I don't pay for water or heat, I always have someone to borrow things from without leaving the house, never have to shovel snow.

Don't have to worry about my car getting older, fitting my family or having to replace it eventually since - no car. Same for parking!

No need to worry about offending relatives by visiting some or going to some simchos over others, since anyone flying distance knows I can't afford coming to them anyhow!

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 8:33 pm
I'm so glad that I don't have to run myself ragged bringing my kids to extracurriculars after school -- no money for those!

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:29 pm
I dont have to stress about my ds and dd sleeping in a hotel room on pesach together.
because we dont afford a hotel on pesach!

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:38 pm
I don't have to worry about opposite genders in hotel rooms for Yom tov but we definitely have mixed genders in one bedroom 😅

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Jan 08 2024, 10:49 pm
We are so lucky we get to take tzedakah Smile. I know everyone is jealous of us Tongue Out .
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics