Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dear frum man at grocery store
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:19 pm
OP, Wow! You made a Kiddush Hashem by sharing this story.
May your wheel of fortune turn extremely fast and may you pass forth this chesed. Hugs!!

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:35 pm
Wow. This thread brought me to tears too. Mi Kamcha yisroel.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:46 pm
I had a similar experience last week and I couldn't get over it. Don't tell me there's another nation out there who would pay for a perfect stranger's full shopping cart just because they are part of the same nation. This only exists in am yisrael.

I also once had my battery die and had to put on my hazard lights while waiting for help. Plenty of non-jews passed, but the only person who stopped to ask what was wrong was a frum woman I vaguely know. I told her my battery had died; she literally called up her friend on the spot to bring cables to jumpstart my car. It was the funniest sight; this wealthy woman with her $7,000 wig and perfectly manicured nails getting her hands dirty in the hood of my car for a woman she knows only by sight, maybe.
We are amazing!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 3:54 pm
Wow!! This is a beautiful thread!!

amother
Foxglove

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:01 pm
Another story that once happened to us - a while back my husband lost his job and we weren't sure how we where going to pay the several thousand dollars we still owed towards tuition. My husband got an unexpected few hundred dollars from someplace so called up the school to give them some money when the school told him there there where several recent payments in the last few days and now we had no balance left to pay. We still don't know till today who paid it (school refused to say) but we suspect that together several people in the shul my husband davens in all chipped in to do it. Several days before one of them asked my husband which school he sends his kids to.... at the time he didn't think much into it.
It meant so so much to know that there where other people who cared and where with us.

amother
Tulip

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:12 pm
amother Foxglove wrote:
Another story that once happened to us - a while back my husband lost his job and we weren't sure how we where going to pay the several thousand dollars we still owed towards tuition. My husband got an unexpected few hundred dollars from someplace so called up the school to give them some money when the school told him there there where several recent payments in the last few days and now we had no balance left to pay. We still don't know till today who paid it (school refused to say) but we suspect that together several people in the shul my husband davens in all chipped in to do it. Several days before one of them asked my husband which school he sends his kids to.... at the time he didn't think much into it.
It meant so so much to know that there where other people who cared and where with us.

Beautiful. So special. Matan bseser is a very high level of tzedakah.

cnc

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:18 pm
Wow. Keep the posts coming. Some light among the darkness.

amother
Opal

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:37 pm
I was on line at Serendipity (second hand clothing store). The lady in front of me was deliberating with her husband about which items to put back on the rack since they didn't have enough money to pay for everything they wanted for their baby. I handed her $60 and walked away feeling richer.

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:51 pm
Mishpacha is doing a feature on kind things people have done, if anyone wants to email them and submit something (even anonymously).

BaltoMom65

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 4:52 pm
amother Opal wrote:
I was on line at Serendipity (second hand clothing store). The lady in front of me was deliberating with her husband about which items to put back on the rack since they didn't have enough money to pay for everything they wanted for their baby. I handed her $60 and walked away feeling richer.
This is beautiful. Thank you all for this thread ! It's giving me strength

amother
Latte

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 5:13 pm
Not to brag about what a nice guy my dh is, but judge for yourself:

Due to bad weather, his flight was cancelled and rebooked several times so that instead of landing at 8:00 pm he landed around 3 in the morning. The airport was practically deserted and there were all of two cabs at the cab stand. The first turned on its Off Duty sign and took off. Then came the next one---but dh noticed a Chassidish lady (who probably didn't have a smartphone) with a couple of kids behind him in line in the pouring rain hoping for a cab. He stepped back and motioned her to take the cab. Then he went inside, looked up the Uber app, downloaded it to his phone, figured out how to use it, ordered a car, waited half an hour for the guy to get there and arrived home at 4:30 in the morning, more than 15 hours after leaving for what should have been an easy three-hour nonstop flight...what can I say? The man is a saint.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 5:25 pm
Motti illowitz has a yiddish song called "anushim k'malachim"
It's about how special yidden are and how we look out for eachother.

amother
Bluebell

I know this isn't money related, but it happened in the grocery store so I thought I'd share it anyway.

I was once in the grocery store with 2 little kids. I had a shopping cart full of food and my kids were acting kvetchy and trying to run all over the place. It was challenging and there was a long line. The lady in front of me offered to switch spots with me so that I can get checked out a few minutes earlier. I said no, but she insisted, saying that she remembers what it's like to be in the grocery store with little kids. This was such a chessed! I am still thankful to her.

amother
Stonewash

Love this thread keep the stories coming

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 6:20 pm
OP would you mind sharing where you are located? I get tuna from wic every month and don't really use it. I would love to give you some as well as other things from wic that I don't use

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 6:37 pm
We were driving on the Palisades and my husband's bumper was hanging too low (once again) and the noise was disturbing. We pulled over so he could fix the tie-wrap (again) and throughout the 3 minutes, we had 7 cars pull over!

productivity

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 6:53 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
OP would you mind sharing where you are located? I get tuna from wic every month and don't really use it. I would love to give you some as well as other things from wic that I don't use

Not to derail this thread, I’m sure you have only noble intentions and were not aware that this is against WIC policy

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 6:57 pm
Thanks to the posters asking if they can help. I didn't post this asking for money or as a plea for help. I live OOT and can't be more specific or I am afraid it will out me.
And I am sure there are people in your community who could use the help more than we can. Maybe offer it to your kid's school and ask them to surreptitiously pass it on? That way no one knows who anyone is and no one has to be embarrassed. If I was given a gift card by a class parent I wouldn't know what to do...

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:01 pm
Someone I know asked WIC what to do with food they couldn't use, and were told donate it to your church.
This was years ago so idk if their policy changed.

amother
Lotus

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 7:09 pm
Single mom here with family of kids. I used to shovel my large circle driveway by myself with a shovel nearly breaking my back. Then for years someone anonymously paid for my driveway to be cleared of snow. From two inches of snow to 18 inches all was taken care of!! I cried of joy nearly every time (quietly so my kids wouldn't see), usually it was in the morning when I woke up to a clear driveway.

Even though it's years later I still daven often that Hashem should repay this person multiple times over and just like they didn't wait for me to ask or beg for help (which btw I would never do) so too Hashem should give them everything even before they ask Him.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics