Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dear frum man at grocery store
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:56 pm
I was also going to offer Wic items. I have so much milk to give away. Wouldn’t think its against policy. Anyway, Thank you for sharing all the kindness.
I was in the grocery cereal aisle when a girl was jumping a few times Trying to reach the top shelf. A lady walked by And didn’t offer any help, she was probably day dreaming but I walked back and helped the girl. She was all smiles

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:19 pm
We have a chicken plant in our area that was started by a man with a few sons. When the father retired, and 2 sons took over the company, they decided to give extra chicken they had to the Rabbi to distribute to those in need. This was right before either sukkos or pesach. The next friday night a number of people walked over to the father in shul and said "thank you very much". After a few of these thank yous, he asked his sons what was going on as he had no idea what they had done.

They have continued giving chicken to the Rabbi to distribute-even when there was a shortage and they really didn't have extra chicken. They also supply a truck and workers to drive around with the Rabbi so they can deliver the chicken for the Rabbi. And the owners have no idea who receives the chicken.

They also "rent out" chickens for kapporos. And every penny they bring in from kapporos goes to the Rabbis fund to help those in need in the community.

tweety1

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:25 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
I know someone that works in a grocery store and has the workers look out for kids buying nosh. If they are short they use a special "fund". In reality it's an employees account.

These 2 kids weren't buying nosh. It was essential items. That's why I felt so bad. They're not even buying junk just basics. One kid was on the phone with her father and she only wanted my address so they can mail it back. I told her if she really wants to pay me back she should put in the pushka when she gets home.

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 10:47 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
A few years ago I was in gourmet glatt madison, my card was declined. A few times. I knew it will, I was just hoping by some miracle it would work. We were in a very bad place at that time (bh now we are way better).
The man behind me saw what was happening and in the most chilled out way possible told the cashier “ I will pay for it on my account”. He had some account in the store I guess. I couldn’t believe it ! He then turned to me, and told me I’m sure your card is declining because of fraud or the like. Feel free to pay me whenever, and if you can’t get thru just give it to tzedaka, he gave me a piece of paper with his “number”. husband reached out to him later that evening to thank him and to make up where he can meet him to pay him - the number was a fake number.
I went to the bathroom and for the first time in my life I cried because someone cared about my situation that much. There really are hidden Tzaddikim.

Wow wow wow! This post made me warm and fuzzy in my heart! We’re so lucky to be part of this beautiful nation!!

Op, same to your story. May Hashem help you from now on with abundance of health and wealth!!

Coffee Addict

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:08 pm
This thread is beyond beautiful. 🤩

amother
Tanzanite

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:31 pm
When I was in Sem late one evening I had a bad interaction with a dysfunctional family member. I felt all I could do was head to the kosel. It was cold and rainy but sure enough the Yerushalmi ladies were in their usual spots with their worn-out siddurim. I found a corner and cried my eyes out. Suddenly I felt a tap on my shoulder and an old Yiddish-speaking lady wrapped me in a giant bear hug and I just cried on her shoulder. We did not speak the same language, I come from a wealthy modox background and she was as charedi as they get and probably pretty poor. But she still had so much love to give, and I did not even have to ask. I still think of her hug and her calming tone whenever I feel really down. I wish I had the presence of mind to thank her then.

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 11:50 pm
Dh and I come from broken dysfunctional homes. This was before gemachs would give furniture other than beds. We got married with 2 beds. A 50 year old dresser. An old table and 2 black metal chairs.
To this day, I have no idea who the person was but somehow someone out there heard that we got married without furniture and proper things to set up a home and someone gave us a gift certificate to the old save rite in Brooklyn where we literally were able to get potholders, garbage can and things to set up our apartment. This person even gave us a beautiful dining room table with 8 chairs. It barely fit in our small apartment but it was so nice (even if it stood out like a sore thumb lol). We still have the table and chairs 20 years later.

We are not wealthy. We are pretty simple. We are BH able to pay our bills and give tzedaka. DH has paid for several people for clothing or paid caterers for their bris or bought tefillin for those in need etc.. He does it secretly and I couldn't be more proud.

tryinghard

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 12:08 am
Sometimes it’s not even that you can’t afford it:
A couple years ago we were driving through Monticello and stopped to get some pizza. My husband ran into a different store in the meantime, and I was with the kids. We ordered pizza and got on the other line in order to pay. The place was crazy, but I slowly started realizing that they only take cash, and of course I had none. So there I was, kind of panicking, on my own with the kids who are going to be so disappointed if they can’t get the pizza I promised them. Just then, a lady ahead of me turned around and said, “can I please pay for your order? I’ll be your aunt tor the day!”
I almost cried from relief!

amother
Darkblue

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 1:26 am
Dh is pretty handy
a guy from his kollel once had an issue in his house and asked dh if he can come with some tools and see if he can fix the issue. the guy and his family werent home (his wife had just had a baby and they were staying by her mother for a few days)
dh came home later that after noon shocked- while working in the kitchen he noticed that the cabinets were empty. nothing- not even basics like pasta, rice canned foods- things you normally have in your pantry even if you arent home for a few days.
he drove to rami levy and made this big purchase with tons of basic foods that should stock their kitchen (mind you we were a frugal kollel couple then and barely covered our own expenses) and put all the bags in the entrance to their house. he then called the guy and told him that while he was working some 'ezer layoledet' group from the neighboring community send them some stuff while he was there...

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jan 12 2024, 2:47 am
My husband saw a man roaming the grocery aisles late one night. He knew who he was, a resident in one of the homes for individuals with special needs or issues.
He walked over to him with a $20 bill, told him he once borrowed it from him and wants to repay it.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 1:09 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Dh is pretty handy
a guy from his kollel once had an issue in his house and asked dh if he can come with some tools and see if he can fix the issue. the guy and his family werent home (his wife had just had a baby and they were staying by her mother for a few days)
dh came home later that after noon shocked- while working in the kitchen he noticed that the cabinets were empty. nothing- not even basics like pasta, rice canned foods- things you normally have in your pantry even if you arent home for a few days.
he drove to rami levy and made this big purchase with tons of basic foods that should stock their kitchen (mind you we were a frugal kollel couple then and barely covered our own expenses) and put all the bags in the entrance to their house. he then called the guy and told him that while he was working some 'ezer layoledet' group from the neighboring community send them some stuff while he was there...

Wow. Mi k’amcha yisroel!!

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:00 pm
I got on the light rail in Jerusalem with a few kids not knowing I couldn't use one Rav Kav for all of them. A frum woman saw me trying to figure it out and told me that each kid needs their own card. I told her I only had one, and she opened her wallet and said she always carries around a few extra Rav Kavs to help people out since I'm not the only one who this has happened to. I told herI had no cash on me to pay her back and she waved her hand and said that it's only a few shekel and it's fine, and she paid for the rest of my kids on her multiple Rav Kavs. I thought it was such a special chessed.

SunnyDayz

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 3:34 pm
Wow, these stories are so beautiful!
May all those who were zoche to give be blessed, and may those who were receivers be zoche to be givers very soon ❤️
Mi k'amcha Yisroel?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:13 am
I was in Landsus on 18th Ave buying stuff for Shabbos to bring to country
I said to my self , oh everything is so expensive, and started putting everything in wagon yo put back on shelf, when suddenly s guy hands me fifty dollars and says give it back to tzodoka when you get home

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:01 pm
A family member once stopped to help a guy at the side of the road. After assisting the guy with his car troubles- the man takes off his Yarmulka and says: " I'm not Jewish, but this was the best investment I ever made. Whenever I'm stuck, I just put it on and have plenty people stopping to help me"

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:45 pm
When I saw the title, I thought it was about a frum man who was rude in the grocery.

What a wonderful surprise 😲.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:09 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
I was also going to offer Wic items. I have so much milk to give away. Wouldn’t think its against policy. Anyway, Thank you for sharing all the kindness.
I was in the grocery cereal aisle when a girl was jumping a few times Trying to reach the top shelf. A lady walked by And didn’t offer any help, she was probably day dreaming but I walked back and helped the girl. She was all smiles
It is not against policy. I spoke with a Wic supervisor. You’re not allowed to sell it but you can give it away for free.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:56 pm
Something happened to us today that made me think of this thread. Dh went to a supermarket where we get $200 a week on our account from a generous person who wants to give tzedaka. This is the money we use to buy all non food items, like diapers and paper towels and shampoo. And we buy some of our food with it, because our food stamps is not enough to last the month.

So dh went and checked if the money was on our account, and it wasn't. We were kind of desperate, so dh called the guy who gives us the money and he called the store right then to put the money on our account for us. But the store accidentally put it on someone else's account, so dh had to speak to the donor again and the manager. Together, they figured out what happened and put the money on the correct account.

While this was going on, a man dh didn't know was on line, waiting for his turn. He was listening as he waited.

Then dh gathered the stuff we needed and went to pay, and there was an extra $100 on our account. The manager said someone added it for us. We guess it was that man. We don't know who is was, but we are very thankful.

amother
Acacia

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:47 pm
years ago, my husband and I ate out in Garden of Eat-In. We didn't get out much, we were a kollel couple.
When we were done, we were told a lone man who had been sitting at the next table paid for our meal (except the dessert, which I guess we ordered after he left). we always wondered if he overheard us talking about prices, or what's worth getting, or he just wanted to do a good deed for the day.
it was so special!

amother
Broom

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:50 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
years ago, my husband and I ate out in Garden of Eat-In. We didn't get out much, we were a kollel couple.
When we were done, we were told a lone man who had been sitting at the next table paid for our meal (except the dessert, which I guess we ordered after he left). we always wondered if he overheard us talking about prices, or what's worth getting, or he just wanted to do a good deed for the day.
it was so special!
I’m pregnant and have literaly been dreaming about those rolls for weeks!!!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics