Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Asking about Israeli style tichels
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

juggling

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:00 pm
Roots wrote:
I also only wear one scarf- with the velvet headband and shaper its more than enough for me
but since I sew, I usually sew 3 different colored and textured fabrics together- and then add a fringe of sequince or something, it adds so much

That's actually a very popular style in mitpachot. One scarf with multiple fabrics and some embellishments. When wrapped it gives the impression of multiple scarves twisted together. But it's only one.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:01 pm
It’s a style thing… Google “ הבובון של הודולה” that’s the “in” headband to wear under mitpachot . A few years ago it was “in” to wear a headband with extra volume in the back…

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:06 pm
I thought it’s cultural. An Israeli/Sephardic type of head covering.
And I think they’re beautiful indeed!

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:19 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
I thought it’s cultural. An Israeli/Sephardic type of head covering.
And I think they’re beautiful indeed!

Not necessarily Sephardic, rather DL including Ashkenazy DL. It's a clear hashkafah marker for DL.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:48 pm
I happen to not like the look at all (I'm a sheitel wearing person)
But if I did and it was uncomfortable? I would go full out for the style!
Any embellishment or wrap above what is normal is obviously (at least to me) for style!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 12:51 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
I happen to not like the look at all (I'm a sheitel wearing person)
But if I did and it was uncomfortable? I would go full out for the style!
Any embellishment or wrap above what is normal is obviously (at least to me) for style!

I’m a shaitel wearing person. I LOVE THE LOOK!

I live in Lakewood though. Imagine I showed up to PTA with one and I’m not Sephardic so it’s not for minhag reasons ☺️

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:01 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Not necessarily Sephardic, rather DL including Ashkenazy DL. It's a clear hashkafah marker for DL.

Many chareidi women don't bother with wigs at all times. You see many young women with scarves, especially in the summer.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:01 pm
I love the look. I’m a sheitel wearing person but often wear multiple mitpachot with a shaper in my home , especially Friday night. The only reason I don’t wear it more often is because I get headaches. I love the idea of sewing multiple fabrics together, so it s lighter .

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:12 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:

I live in Lakewood though. Imagine I showed up to PTA with one and I’m not Sephardic so it’s not for minhag reasons ☺️

Awww- you should do it then!! Try doing it once:)

BatZion

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:26 pm
I love the look and it's my minhag to scarf and not sheitel but I can't handle more than one light scarf or any volumizers because they give me headaches

saralem

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:43 pm
I think it’s just so beautiful and feminine. I am a shaitel wearer but I would love to try this! Maybe it’s too dramatic for me though (at my age).

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:46 pm
snooper86 wrote:
It’s not a style they wear these tichels like others wear wigs, hats, shpitzelach etc. it’s what their mothers wear. I forgot what they’re called but they have a name.

Not at all. The style that the OP is talking about is a relatively new style. I can assure you that most women even a few years ago, were not wearing mitpachot with such volume.
And nope, in the DL community, where these are mainly worn, women really wear what they feel like covering with. Nothing to do with what their mothers wore. Its a personal decision.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:48 pm
My friend in Williamsburg actually wears them inside her home (instead of pretieds). Her husband thinks she looks beautiful in them!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:57 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Not at all. The style that the OP is talking about is a relatively new style. I can assure you that most women even a few years ago, were not wearing mitpachot with such volume.
And nope, in the DL community, where these are mainly worn, women really wear what they feel like covering with. Nothing to do with what their mothers wore. Its a personal decision.

The ones I am talking about are on various types of women. Some I've seen on ultra orthodox with no hair showing, some are wearing their hair out, open necklines, short sleeves... I'm so confused.

I don't understand why they wear them so high. I guess in America, flatter is more common.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 1:59 pm
Success10 wrote:
They look beautiful to me, but I can't imagine I'd be able to keep my balance in that. Can anyone answer me, aren't they heavy?

That's what I was wondering about.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jan 14 2024, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don't understand why they wear them so high. I guess in America, flatter is more common.

And someone above said she didn't understand why Americans wore them so flat. Just a matter of local style.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:00 am
amother Mintgreen wrote:

I live in Lakewood and I have seen some women were them at PTA
I guess it depends on the school.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:09 am
amother Coral wrote:
I live in Lakewood and I have seen some women were them at PTA
I guess it depends on the school.

Yes. Sephardic women who hold no wearing wigs…

youngmother6

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:13 am
I wear both Shaitels and mitpachats and even if I tie it huge with multiple layers a mitpachat is way more light and comfortable!

Most people that I know would not wear Shaitels as a frum thing. They think it’s not a proper way of covering one’s hair.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jan 15 2024, 2:46 am
Success10 wrote:
They look beautiful to me, but I can't imagine I'd be able to keep my balance in that. Can anyone answer me, aren't they heavy?

There are different padded pillows that you wear inside to create different shapes. Those give you volume without weight, so they're actually very light.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics