Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Traveling makes me wish I didn't keep kosher
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:20 am
amother Taupe wrote:
Not to derail, but would you share some of the things you prepare? Also tips on packing or prepping. We have a 5 day trip coming this Sunday and I will be packing all our food. Still a little perplexed about it. I’m just bringing 4 of my kids but will not be getting a rental. I have to bring everything. Tia

Here's my menu for our upcoming trip:
Crockpot Mexican sweet sausages
Meatballs baked and frozen in extra sauce
Beef and broccoli
Chicken and snow peas in white garlic sauce
Schnitzel
Frozen pasta sauces
Frozen cold cuts + Syrian cheese
We bring with us one suitcase with a cooler in it for frozen foods and a second suitcase with dry goods and camping dishes. We have 2 sets of dishes (meat + milk) that we bring which make eating feel more normal. Bring thin spaghetti, boil in a bag rice, cereal, kind bars, peanut butter, jelly, cans of tuna, can opener, collapsible strainer, spices, cooking spray, one egg pan and one cooking pot. We take 1 carry on for soft goods, like chocolate croissants, bread, bagels, etc. Our camping sets have sponges, mini disposable dish soap packets, pre-made spice packets with salt, pepper, onion + garlic, a ladle, coffee mugs, etc. Mini mayo. Instant coffee. Sugar. Creamer packets. Tins and tin foil for reheating.
When we land, we buy eggs, veggies, milk. Then stick the dinners into the freezer when you arrive and just pull em out to reheat when ready.
When I cook and freeze, each meal goes into 4 plastic containers so we usually have WAY more food than we need. One year, we gave away a bunch of food to someone who didn't have enough and it was so wonderful to help another yid in the middle of nowhere. Helpful tip - I wrap the frozen plastic containers in saran wrap and then zip lock them too. Helps keep them frozen and ensures everything stays orderly. Also, bring extra ziplock bags. All sizes. We also keep our traveling suitcases pretty well stored year round so if we want to bug out, we can easily. Plastic containers from Amazon. Polar bear cooler also from Amazon, 48 pack size which fits a large, hardshell suitcase. Keeps food frozen for 24 hours. Good luck!

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:28 am
You are amazing!! But I could never be that organised.....

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:32 am
amother Azure wrote:
I love traveling kosher. We eat OU-D which definitely makes it easier.
I love that when we go places that the emphasis is on the activity and not the restaurant. We eat on the run and have so much more time and opportunity to see the sights rather than investing so much of our time and budget on dinner.

Same. Plus it's a fun challenge to see what we can throw together from the few meager offerings that can be gleaned from local shops (this should be a competitive reality show!), and it's a great excuse to up the percentage of fresh fruits and vegetables in our diet!

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:34 am
I don’t get this. Every single grocery sells some kosher items, you can buy basics anywhere. Am I the only one who is not bothered at all? I’m proud to be a Jew.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 10:40 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:
I don’t get this. Every single grocery sells some kosher items, you can buy basics anywhere. Am I the only one who is not bothered at all? I’m proud to be a Jew.

I visited Cuba, and with the exception of water and maybe 1-2 vegetables, there was absolutely NOTHING kosher to buy (including Coke and other sodas). We brought everything with us, including salt and drinks.

Definitely not a trip for the faint of heart!

imthatawesome

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:13 am
amother Snapdragon wrote:

Not every place has a kosher list or recognizably kosher items. When I was in Rwanda I relied solely on Chabad

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:16 am
This is funny on shabbos we were discussing what would you do if we found out that we were not Jewish. And I said that I would definitely do a bunch of traveling and then convert because I believe that this is the truth. Travel a couple times a year and it really is challenging and all the food looks so good. I feel like I probably get more reward for it and I’m so grateful that I get the ability to travel, but wow, it would be so much easier and a bit more fun if we could try all the local food. I’m certainly grateful I could travel, but I totally get it.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 11:18 am
amother Holly wrote:
That is why we only travel to places where kosher food isn’t an issue. Florida and Israel.

I am not interested in going on vacation and eating out of foil.
If I wanted a camping experience I would go real camping. Not camping in a hotel with food I shlepped along.

Same
And I’m very happy to do it

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 1:03 pm
Became Jewish in my mid 20’s and I do miss having tons of good restaurant options wherever you go. Really good pizza for cheap! Tacos and margaritas! Little cafes! Mom and pop diners in the middle of nowhere!

But, when I look at my non Jewish family, I love them dearly but I think they spend too much time and energy talking about food and doing post-restaurant analysis about whatever they ate. Going out to eat is truly important to them (they eat out several nights a week) and I feel a bit embarrassed when they talk like that in front of my kids because it’s just kind of small. Human beings should enjoy the food Hashem gave us, but to turn it into a focus is kind of bringing yourself down to a lower level than you should be on. So I guess I feel like it’s a chesed that Yidden don’t have tons of restaurant options on the road.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 3:53 pm
If you have Instagram you can follow @travellingmom (and frequent flyer mom - her second account)
She’s always traveling and bringing her own food everywhere. You can get inspo from her.
She went literally everywhere.

amother
Maize

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 4:59 pm
Tbh, I stopped wanting to travel except to Israel since I became frum, because food was always such an important part of the experience for me. I have a bad memory for experiences in general (except for food) so I've never found travel all that rewarding to begin with though.

But my siblings both helpfully live no where near a frum community (one overseas), and I do wish visiting them wasn't so complicated.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:30 pm
I have this feeling sometimes at the mall. All those eateries smell sooooo yum! And I'm existing on the granola bar I brought along...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:37 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
Became Jewish in my mid 20’s and I do miss having tons of good restaurant options wherever you go. Really good pizza for cheap! Tacos and margaritas! Little cafes! Mom and pop diners in the middle of nowhere!

But, when I look at my non Jewish family, I love them dearly but I think they spend too much time and energy talking about food and doing post-restaurant analysis about whatever they ate. Going out to eat is truly important to them (they eat out several nights a week) and I feel a bit embarrassed when they talk like that in front of my kids because it’s just kind of small. Human beings should enjoy the food Hashem gave us, but to turn it into a focus is kind of bringing yourself down to a lower level than you should be on. So I guess I feel like it’s a chesed that Yidden don’t have tons of restaurant options on the road.

This post really made me think. Thank you.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:42 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
my father would always say... well wouldn't it also be nice to be a cow? and wherever we went there would be so much delicious grass to eat.. so convenient.

LOL.

I understand you OP - mainly because I would be interested in tasting other cultures food.. but this puts it in perspective Smile

Love that!

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:44 pm
In certain ways, it makes things easier. Imagine being at an amusement park or other attraction where your kids are begging for every overpriced treat being sold at every kiosk or food stand.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:45 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:

You mean every shabbos and yom tov? Wink The only difference is that we elevate the food by making it lekavod the holiday.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:33 pm
Whenever we travel , it’s the best time to enjoy snacks we usually don’t eat year round such as potato chips . I really look forward to potato chips snd bissili!

amother
Ultramarine

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:41 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:

That’s an interesting point, but all my family is Jewish and I feel like Jews also talk about food a lot, how was the food at the wedding , kiddush, kosher restaurant, so I don’t know.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:48 pm
Whenever I go on a vacation, I only vacation somewhere that has kosher food. Otherwise it's not a vacation for me.
When I take family trips, I do the whole packing food, cooking on electronic appliances thing but that is not a vacation.

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:52 pm
Traveling makes me thank Hashem I'm Jewish!

I always look at all the restaurants and gag. Like who knows what quality ingredients they put into the food? The quality of the meat? Such a mix of smells, so nauseating!

It feels good that when I go into a Kosher eatery I know the greens are checked and the blood is out of the poultry Wink

I like to travel to random places, and yes we live those days on Mezonas bread, tuna steak and salami. I can freeze a soup or two, too. I focus on the beauty of Hashem's world and then we come back and enjoy the delicious dinners at the local Kosher places.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics