Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My Cleaning Help
Previous  1  2

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
$21

Wowww that’s a lot!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:22 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I went through this with my cleaning lady . She then started showing up a full half hour late and not making up the time afterward and leaving early and I was paying her for the full hour . At a certain point I felt very taken advantage of and got rid of her.
I then timed myself cleaning the house thoroughly and discovered that I clean my entire home in half the time she did and I did a much more thorough job. I am happy I got rid of her .
She started off being so relatable and prompt and thorough and after 6 months she felt comfortable enough to start slacking off .

Right. My thoughts. problem is I work and even though when I do clean my house on my own it takes quicker (and better!) then she would do it, I don't really have the time! or energy Smile

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:23 pm
My cleaning lady does that too but she also stays extra if my house is a little messy plus she charges me less than everyone else since she didnt raise her rate on me when she went up in price since shes with me for 14 years and likes working for me.

She actually told me outright that shes going up in price but shes not raising me because I dont give her a hard time about her hours and because I am nice to her and treat her like a person. Its worth it to me but I understand why it annoys you. If we didnt have that give and take relationship, I would also be annoyed.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:24 pm
Sounds like its a common problem. I guess I just gotta chose what's worth it for me...

thanks so much everyone!

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 12:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
yes

Then I kind of understand why she needs a break. What do you friends say?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 5:58 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I went through this with my cleaning lady . She then started showing up a full half hour late and not making up the time afterward and leaving early and I was paying her for the full hour . At a certain point I felt very taken advantage of and got rid of her.
I then timed myself cleaning the house thoroughly and discovered that I clean my entire home in half the time she did and I did a much more thorough job. I am happy I got rid of her .
She started off being so reliable and prompt and thorough and after 6 months she felt comfortable enough to start slacking off .

Same! Thats why I got a robot vacuum/mop. I found they always started off amazing, prompt, thorough and after 6 months started to slack off , by 9 months it was noticeable. I had no more patience.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
She used to religiously leave 10 minutes early. And even though she only comes for a few hours a week, I just looked at it as a lunch break. it is what it is. now that its a good 20-25 minutes, that's a huge amount of time! she can fold my huge pile of laundry in that time!

It does sound like there's a lot of cleaning up around that may be available, but for me reliability is very important. She's not the greatest cleaner but not beyond terrible. I've had worse.

I feel like if I say something or deduct pay, it needs to be done jointly with the ones I share her with. but no one else wants to rock the boat...

Why don’t you show her when she comes to fold the laundry? Tell her: the last thing is laundry.
And make sure you have plenty for her to fold.

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 6:35 pm
I pay my cleaning lady for 4 hours of work once a week. She usually leaves about 45 minutes early. I was annoyed at first but learned to be ok with it. She's extremely reliable (only usually takes off a day or two a year), on time, nice to have around .... She doesn't take a break either, does an amazing job and really does get a lot done in the time she's here. Plus she hasn't asked (and I didn't offer) a raise in the 3 yrs that she's been here.

Amarante

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 8:49 pm
Just pay her a flat rate. That is what I do and I don’t worry about how long she works so long as she does the job.

If I have something extra that takes a bit longer, she does it cheerfully. I

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:02 pm
Wow, that's a low hourly rate, at least for our area that would be considered very low. We pay $180 for 2 women who come together and spend about 2-3 hours in total. It's such a physical job, and the woman are so reliable and lovely, I am happy to pay a better wage.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
I BH have really reliable cleaning help. she comes a few hours a week and is super quick so she ends up getting to clean my entire small house. She isn't very thorough but the reliability is really important to me so I'm happy with her.
I pay her per hour. but its not down to the minute at all. like if she came 5 minutes late, she usually just makes sure to rush and finish and I pay her for the full hours each week.
Recently she's been leaving a good 10-15 minutes early. and even more recently she started coming late too. at the beginning of her late arrival, I mentioned a few times that she can please stay those minutes later and of course she said yes. But, she doesn't! she comes late and leaves early. And rushes like crazy to finish early. Many times that adds up to a good 20/25 minutes of her not working. she can easily do a nice amount of works in those minutes...
the ones I share her with have basically the same problem, but they don't want to say anything to her.
DH is really mad. And many times I am too! On one hand she does all the basic cleaning (and sometimes a bit more) but then again, I'm paying her for so much extra time that she doesn't work (almost $100 extra a month!) and I really don't have the extra money. at least let me get my monies worth.

WWYD?

I would deduct the lost time from her pay. Why are you rewarding her unreliability? That just encourages her to continue. I think you should tell the others you share her with to all start deducting her pay for the time lost. That’s the only way she’ll start putting in the time she should.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:07 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Are you home when she’s there? I have mine. Text me when she comes and when she leaves to open the garage and I pay her based on those hours so it’s super obvious when she is cutting the time short.

How do you know where she’s texting you from?

Cheiny

Post Tue, Jan 16 2024, 9:11 pm
BrachaBatya wrote:
Wow, that's a low hourly rate, at least for our area that would be considered very low. We pay $180 for 2 women who come together and spend about 2-3 hours in total. It's such a physical job, and the woman are so reliable and lovely, I am happy to pay a better wage.

That’s nuts! $45 an hour to clean???
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry