Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Can you recommend great memoirs?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:56 pm
amother Green wrote:
Not sure your level of appropriateness and how sad you're willing to read but I love the Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls and Educated by Tara Westover. Both have some inappropriate parts and are a little disturbing but amazing reads. I saw that the Duggar girl who left and made the documentary jut put out a memoir... I'm on the list in my library for it but there are currently like 50 people in front of me so who knows if I'll ever read it

Ty! I loved educated. I read the Duggar one, it was pretty interesting.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:57 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb is amazing! Memoir of a year in her life as a therapist.

The Choice by Edith Eger is really good too, she’s a Holocaust survivor. The book mainly focuses on her life after the war which is unique and fascinating.

Ty! Loved the first one as well.

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:57 pm
The Year Mom Got Religion: One Woman's Midlife Journey into Judaism- Lee Meyerhoff Hendler

Interesting read

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 1:58 pm
Wow so many that I haven't read yet. Ty all!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:05 pm
American daughter by Stephanie Thornton Plymale

Building a Life worth Living. By Marsha Linehan

Hillbilly Elegy by JD Vance

The skeptic and the rabbi by Judy Gruen

Wild. By Cheryl Strayed

Gone. By Linda K Olsen

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:36 pm
Katharine Graham’s autobiography

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:38 pm
yachnabobba wrote:
I strongly disliked the premise of educated

Can you explain more

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:39 pm
Catherine Gildinger’s 3 memoirs - excellent - worth it to read all 3! Poignant, entertaining, sometimes really really funny, not the absolute cleanest, but pretty decent. She also wrote Good Morning Monster.

The Center Cannot Hold by Elyn Saks - fabulous!!!

Manic and The Dark Side of Innocence by Terri Cheney

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:40 pm
This thread has some other great recommendations:

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....12982

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:41 pm
In love by amy bloom

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:46 pm
Nowhere Girl by Cheryl Diamond

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:59 pm
A house in the sky-
It’s about a Canadian journalist who traveled the world and was taken hostage in Somalia

A woman is no man- a story that follows 3 generations in a Muslim family and the abuse of the women.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:07 pm
Lily's Promise by Lily Ebert and Dov Forman

Beautiful, beautiful memoir of a Holocaust survivor.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:12 pm
amother Green wrote:
When Breath Becomes Air
made me cry
I just keep adding more as I think of them. Tell me your favorites always looking for more suggestions!

Yes I was going to suggest this one.

Also a diff one about a comedian who had
Ovarian cancer

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 3:13 pm
There’s the one by a therapist about her childhood in northern NY, anyone know what that one’s called?

amother
Navyblue

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:29 pm
Life Not Withstanding
Chava Willig Levy A'H

yachnabobba

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:33 pm
tichellady wrote:
Can you explain more

The premise of educated is that the only kind of education that’s worth pursuing is a university education. This is the furthest from truth . As Dr. John Foster says I know a lot of idiots with PHDs and as I say I know many brilliant and knowledgeable ppl with almost no formal education

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:42 pm
A Walk Across America
The Walk West: A Walk Across America 2

Written by Peter Jenkins
I think they were just reprinted not sure.

meyerlemon44

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 5:50 pm
The memoirs of Gluckel of Hamelin!

Begun in 1690, this diary of a forty-four-year-old German Jewish widow, mother of fourteen children, tells how she guided the financial and personal destinies of her children, how she engaged in trade, ran her own factory, and promoted the welfare of her large family. Her memoir, a rare account of an ordinary woman, enlightens not just her children, for whom she wrote it, but all posterity about her life and community. Gluckel speaks to us with determination and humor from the seventeenth century. She tells of war, plague, pirates, soldiers, the hysteria of the false messiah Sabbtai Zevi, murder, bankruptcy, wedding feasts, births, deaths, in fact, of all the human events that befell her during her lifetime. She writes in a matter of fact way of the frightening and precarious situation under which the Jews of northern Germany lived. Accepting this situation as given, she boldly and fearlessly promotes her business, her family and her faith. This memoir is a document in the history of women and of life in the seventeenth century.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 6:09 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
The memoirs of Gluckel of Hamelin!

Begun in 1690, this diary of a forty-four-year-old German Jewish widow, mother of fourteen children, tells how she guided the financial and personal destinies of her children, how she engaged in trade, ran her own factory, and promoted the welfare of her large family. Her memoir, a rare account of an ordinary woman, enlightens not just her children, for whom she wrote it, but all posterity about her life and community. Gluckel speaks to us with determination and humor from the seventeenth century. She tells of war, plague, pirates, soldiers, the hysteria of the false messiah Sabbtai Zevi, murder, bankruptcy, wedding feasts, births, deaths, in fact, of all the human events that befell her during her lifetime. She writes in a matter of fact way of the frightening and precarious situation under which the Jews of northern Germany lived. Accepting this situation as given, she boldly and fearlessly promotes her business, her family and her faith. This memoir is a document in the history of women and of life in the seventeenth century.

How “readable” is it?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room