Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child Getting Contact Lenses - Doctor Charges $400???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 12:36 pm
I pay 225 for a year's supply of biweekly lenses at Glasses R Us in Brooklyn.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:20 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Oh. My son wanted lenses. He's almost 14. No chance I'll be paying that much money to fit them and all. I can teach him.
Sounds crazy. Can you ask them just for a prescription? That's their job. You can do what you want with the prescription no?

So that's the crazy thing! The office staff said they cannot send me the prescription until the doc fits DC and gives the go ahead that DC can handle the lenses on their own.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 1:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
So that's the crazy thing! The office staff said they cannot send me the prescription until the doc fits DC and gives the go ahead that DC can handle the lenses on their own.

Did you already pay for the exam? If not, just go somewhere else…

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

No one gives a prescription for lenses unless you have a fitting first. The prescription is not just a number like the glasses are. It also says which brand and measurements.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:03 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Oh. My son wanted lenses. He's almost 14. No chance I'll be paying that much money to fit them and all. I can teach him.
Sounds crazy. Can you ask them just for a prescription? That's their job. You can do what you want with the prescription no?

The prescription says exactly which brand (like acuvue etc) and measurements. No
it's not their hon to just give a prescription. Every eye dr charges for a fitting in order to give a prescription for contacts. It's very different than glasses.

You cannot just ask the dr "give me a prescription for acuvue daily"

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:04 pm
amother OP wrote:

It isn't crazy. He needs to be fitted as the prescription is only one part. Every eye is different and not all brands will work with everyone.
It is also a medical device that touches a sensitive part of the body that can get infected easily. If they don't ensure that your son can take care of it and CV gets an infection they don't want to be liable.

amother
Aster

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:08 pm
I actually had something similar recently.
Went to doctor for MiSight contacts prescription for DC. They charged $175 for appt but I needed to schedule another appointment for "training". They won't release the prescription until they've seen DC insert and remove contacts.
DH and I are both contact lens wearers. It's kind of ridiculous.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:24 pm
I paid 200 for lens fitting the first appt. It’s a skill and you want a dr who is good at finding the best fit for your kid. My kids went thru a few pairs and sizes before finding what fit best. And then they teach them how to insert and remove them and how to safely handle them etc. it takes a lot of time and that price doesn’t sound excessive. For a glasses store to give lenses based on a glasses prescription is crazy if you ask me. I myself have changed my lenses a few times over the years bec diff ones were more or less comfortable. I would want an expert doing this. It’s a one time thing, and the price is worth paying to get it right.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 2:35 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
No one gives a prescription for lenses unless you have a fitting first. The prescription is not just a number like the glasses are. It also says which brand and measurements.

This is a standard contacts filling. It sounds like they’re charging for training above that.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 3:12 pm
I think my daughter had to have a "different" eye exam for lenses, which wasn't covered by insurance. Where are you located? maybe we can give you options. I found an eyeglass place that does exam for much cheaper. Maybe $1-200? Biweekly lenses have been $25 per box of six, but might be more now. (My dd wears astigmatism ones, so they cost more)

seeker

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 3:24 pm
It does sound normal to me. It sounds like the doctor wants to do a thorough job making sure your kid gets their needs met well. This takes time and resources, and rolling several months of lenses into the cost also factors in.

Even if the doctor takes Medicaid, afaik Medicaid does not cover lenses which means they're also not covering lens -related appointments.

The part I would be upset about is that this wasn't communicated before your appointment. I would be really mad about wasting all that time and only getting clarity afterward.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 3:30 pm
They always do a fitting to make sure the child can put them in and take them out. The prescription says exactly what company, number etc so it's very specific. I've been wearing contacts since I'm 12 and my daughter just got at ten. I wear monthlys and it costs me a few hundred for a few years supply. My daughter was fitted with a very specific brand of dailys. They are very expensive. $880 a year. So far I did a six month supply and she had two follow ups to make sure they were good. It was tweaked a couple times. It really needs to be fitted right. Lenses are not one size fits all or even one brand fits all. If the price included lenses it's actually not a bad price.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 3:43 pm
My Medicaid covers $100 of either glasses or lenses each year
The first year my daughter started with lenses, I was fine paying the extra out of pocket to really fit and train her.

The next year at her annual checkup they charged us $130 on top of the regular exam for the lenses "fitting" but her prescription didn't change and literally they had her read the chart with her lenses on and see they work fine and then she took them out and did the rest of the eye exam.

So they got paid for the exam and the fitting which was ridiculous as there was no fitting. There was no arguing with them.... I'm really hesitant to stay with this practice due to that. It's highway robbery.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jan 26 2024, 3:44 pm
Why don’t you try going to Costco optometrist - or- for eyes- or JCPenney
For COSTCO you don’t need a membership to see the dr.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 11:02 pm
So it's probably too late for this year but if you ask for a contact lens fitting/check up for your annual exam, it's covered by insurance and you also get a prescription for glasses at the same time.
There's usually a little bit of money left over to buy some lenses and we buy the rest online.
I just spent $50 for 2 boxes online.
Prices of contacts will depend on prescription strength and if there are other issues. Dailies, weeklies or monthlies.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sat, Jan 27 2024, 11:26 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
So it's probably too late for this year but if you ask for a contact lens fitting/check up for your annual exam, it's covered by insurance and you also get a prescription for glasses at the same time.
There's usually a little bit of money left over to buy some lenses and we buy the rest online.
I just spent $50 for 2 boxes online.
Prices of contacts will depend on prescription strength and if there are other issues. Dailies, weeklies or monthlies.

This wasn’t the case for me. They said if I need a lens exam too (ie if I wear lenses) it’s an additional $50 or so I forget exactly… insurance doesn’t cover lens exams.
It was basically how HY described it, I believe he also checked that the lenses fit right.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:19 am
amother Gardenia wrote:
This wasn’t the case for me. They said if I need a lens exam too (ie if I wear lenses) it’s an additional $50 or so I forget exactly… insurance doesn’t cover lens exams.
It was basically how HY described it, I believe he also checked that the lenses fit right.

Right, our annual vision exam was covered by insurance but there was an extra charge for the lenses which they didn't really do anything about since her prescription hadn't changed and they didn't test anything 🙄

amother
NeonOrange

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 10:57 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Right, our annual vision exam was covered by insurance but there was an extra charge for the lenses which they didn't really do anything about since her prescription hadn't changed and they didn't test anything 🙄

I called a few doctors' offices and they all do this. The insurance pays for the regular exam (that includes a prescription for glasses) and they charge an extra fee for the contact lens fitting. Which is ridiculous because I've been wearing the same brand and prescription for years and nothing changed. But I need to do it or they won"t give me the prescription for contacts and then I can't buy new lenses.

The cheapest I was able to find in my area was $75 for the "contact lens fitting."

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:30 am
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I called a few doctors' offices and they all do this. The insurance pays for the regular exam (that includes a prescription for glasses) and they charge an extra fee for the contact lens fitting. Which is ridiculous because I've been wearing the same brand and prescription for years and nothing changed. But I need to do it or they won"t give me the prescription for contacts and then I can't buy new lenses.

The cheapest I was able to find in my area was $75 for the "contact lens fitting."

I use this same office for myself and they have no issue giving me my contact lens prescription and then I order it over the phone by The Lens Center who ships them to my house. That's part of why I am so lost because I had never heard of this before.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 28 2024, 11:32 am
To those of you saying DC must get fit by a doctor, why wouldn't an optical store be able to do the same thing? Have the kid try on different types of lenses, figure out which is the best, teach them basics of hygiene and putting in and taking out...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics