Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If you live in Florida …
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 12:01 am
Fun thread to read for someone else who grew up there but also living up north now for many years.

I always thought of Pesach and Sukkos as the bookends for the nicer weather. It's possible Pesach or sukkos will still be nice, but often they're both extremely hot and humid.

That said, from November to March it's mostly gorgeous.

Every house and building has central air.

Many people have pools.

Even if you don't go to the beach often, it's easy to get to or drive along. And it's always gorgeous.

When it rains, it stops. Not like up north where the entire day is grey and rainy.

The thing to remember is, it feels normal. I did not appreciate the mild winters because that was all I knew. If the temp hit 60, that was freezing. Summer was hot, but not unbearable like it is for many New Yorkers.

Oh, and some people have bad allergies.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 1:59 am
amother OP wrote:
Funny, the first time I came to Florida I said- wow… It feels like Israel but without the kedusha. Climate is very similar.

I grew up in Florida and moved to EY when I got married and still live here. The climate in Israel FAR surpasses that of FL for about a million reasons. We go to FL every summer to visit my family and I dread the heat. We can't walk outside its so hot. It's literally unbearable.

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 7:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Question for people living in Orlando. Just curious- I noticed a few men who seemed to be from yeshiva chofetz Chaim. Where do the cc families send their older kids to school?
And do kids play with friends outside or do kids tend to stay home with their families? I’m asking because the streets were always empty. One night after 9pm I was driving and noticed that all the houses were dark. I figured people must go to bed early. Then I went to Walmart. I found everyone. It was packed after 10pm! I go to Walmart near me and I never saw it so packed. What’s up with Walmart? Is that where everyone goes at night?

Are you talking about people who live there, or people on vacation? Entire sections of Orlando are exclusively vacation homes. Those people are definitely out in Walmart at night. You most likely were not hanging out in the frum neighborhoods of people who live there year round (and often go away for vacation too).

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Feb 01 2024, 8:52 am
As beautiful as it is I would not want to live in one climate a year. I can relate to coming back from there when its freezing here. Bh my luck had it that I was in florida when new york had that bitter cold week.
As much as I dont like the cold and humidity in the summer I do enjoy the 4 seasons. I love love spring when the trees start blooming again but the fall foliage is stunning as well.
Bh the last few winters were mild and bearable
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating