Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you air dry most of your clothes? How/where?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

challah58

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 5:06 pm
Basya wrote:
It sounds like so many of you have drying racks consistently full in your common areas. I was really trying to avoid that, and hoping for a better solution that would be out of sight and/or in a small area.... Appreciate your responses though!

I don't air dry everything, but the loads that I do, I hang the clothing over hangers on the rod over my bathtub and open the window or turn on the fan.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 6:19 pm
I run a dehumidifier in the room where I hang laundry to dry, it dries much much faster

lamplighter

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 6:39 pm
I have a laundry rack that's near the washer and dryer and it's always has clothes on it except for shabbos.
I wash one load a day, when I put things in the wash I take whatevers on the rack and put it away. Then when the washer is done I put some things in the dryer and the stuff that needs to hang goes on the rack. When the dryer is done I put away those clothes and whatever is on the rack is left until the next day when I put it away in preparation of the next load.

amother
Springgreen

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 7:55 pm
I have almost as many drying racks as you and we're just two people. When our kids lived at home, I put up heavy-duty spring-mounted curtain rods about a foot below the ceiling in a couple of places. We have molding all along the walls at that height so the molding served as a little "shelf" to keep the rods from sliding down. If we didn't have the molding I would have put a small block of wood with a notch in it to hold the pole in place, in which case any strong curtain rod, closet pole or thick wooden bar would work and it wouldn't need to be spring-mounted.

We still have one such pole in a discreet place in our hall that isn't visible from the entrance to the apt. I don't use it much anymore because I need to climb a stepladder to reach it, but when the kids lived at home I used it all the time.

In several doorways we also have chinning bars that double as drying bars for clothes hung on hangers (e.g. shirts). OK, let's get real: they're drying bars, first and foremost. Hardly anyone ever used them as chinning bars.

But, yes, we had laundry hanging around drying all.the.time and it drove me batty. We do have commercial dryers in the basement of our apartment building so in a real emergency we have recourse, but they're expensive and not good for the textiles. I prefer to go with air-drying.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:39 pm
https://www.georgeandwilly.com.....D_BwE

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9.....-rack

Drop down to use. Pull it back up to get it out of your way when done. Surfaces and floor space not taken up

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:05 pm
We have a wall mounted drying rack in our laundry room that pulls out. My kids are little though. It's like this knee: mDesign Steel Wall Mount Accordion Expandable Retractable Clothes Air Drying Rack - 8 Bars for Hanging Garments - Organizer for Laundry/Utility Room, Bathroom, Garage, Bardo Collection, Dark Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P.....ss_tl

Sometimes I hang hangers from it to get more space.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:44 pm
I hang up our stuff on hangers and put right into each appropriate closet, with space in the middle to allow for drying..
But I don't dry as much as you all do...

sigree

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:58 pm
Extra spin cycles and a dehumidifier! Everything dries overnight.

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:58 pm
One of the reasons I love my basement laundry room. Inconvenient for about every other reason, but at least I have a really nice long drying rack hung from the ceiling.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:01 pm
We have ceiling fans in most rooms and those definitely help dry the clothes faster.
I'm sure people don't want to hear this, but most people (Americans in particular - I am one by the way!) wash clothes too often. Unless you sweated in them, there is no need to wash garments that dont touch your private areas or underarms that often. You can usually get a number of wears out of pants, skirts (especially if you are wearing leggings, stockings or tights under them) and tops that have a shell or whatnot underneath. Obviously, I'm not speaking about little kids who get their clothes dirty every day.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:05 pm
[b]amother Navy wrote:
https://www.georgeandwilly.com/products/ceiling-hanging-drying-rack-1?variant=40331335401575&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&nbt=nb%3Aadwords%3Ax%3A18349495886%3A%3A&nb_adtype=pla&nb_kwd=&nb_ti=&nb_mi=15197791&nb_pc=online&nb_pi=shopify_US_6869208170599_40331335401575&nb_ppi=&nb_placement=&nb_li_ms=&nb_lp_ms=&nb_fii=&nb_ap=&nb_mt=&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAq4KuBhA6EiwArMAw1C7ijvjK1byMxSMUQHOdYz0C8-SYGN8rjrcVBrGe3zPpPrhcEuVOxxoCohYQAvD_BwE[/b]

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9.....-rack

Drop down to use. Pull it back up to get it out of your way when done. Surfaces and floor space not taken up

This must be a throwback to yesteryear as I recently saw Mrs. Hall using one in an episode of this season's All Creatures Great and Small. As a side note, I cannot believe how expensive
such an item is. It doesn't even accommodate that many garments!

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:07 pm
I use an open closet similar to this
https://www.target.com/p/costw.....metab
For all clothing on hangers including boys shirts and pants, skirts, uniforms, dresses. I also hang things along the sides of I run out of space. Much simpler to then transfer to closets in bedroom. The sweaters, shells, tshirts underwear and tights are over the basement couch but I should really just get a regular drying rack for that.

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:13 pm
Actually this is exact one I have https://www.target.com/p/frees.....metab
I use shelves for a bin with mesh bags, detergent etc, also hang empty hangers along the front of two of the shelves sorted by type. Longer dresses I hang along sides.

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:35 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We are 7 and and air drying would be so impractical. I use the lowest setting on the dryer and everything comes out great. The only thing that gets high heat is towels/ cleaning shmattas. Everything else gets extra low.

How long do you need to dry a load on extra low?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 12:18 am
We had to redo our basement after a flood and I was able to put in a decent sized laundry room. I had them install 2 metal rods parallel to each other where I can hang things that need to be on hangers. I also have 2 drying racks, 1 wide and 1 tall. The drying corner has baseboard heating on two sides, so items dry pretty quickly in the winter. Summer clothing is lighter so they dry relatively quickly as well. We do laundry pretty frequently so there's no huge build up of clothing and we can space things out to give them room to air dry.

amother
Mintcream

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 12:23 am
I hang the clothes over hangers and hang them on the shower rod.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 12:27 am
I just bought a retractable clothes line on Amazon and it’s a dream. Doesn’t take up space. Costed $13!

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 1:31 am
It sounds like so many air dry instead of dryer- is this to save money or are there other reasons?

salt

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 1:35 am
Live in Israel. Don't own a dryer.
I have 2 racks on my balcony and a line outside my window which I use less since it's not so convenient to access.
In the summer (~9 months out of 12) the racks are out on the balcony, and in the winter they are in my living room on in the corner of a bedroom.
Never bought a dryer because of lack of space and never really had the need.
When my kids were little the thought would cross my mind sometimes during a very wet winter week, but in Israel, before you know it, it's spring again, and there's no need.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Feb 06 2024, 1:40 am
amother Orchid wrote:
It sounds like so many air dry instead of dryer- is this to save money or are there other reasons?

I do both. I air dry my tops and skirts and shells and bras and slips, and the same for my girls. Only our underwear, tights, socks, leggings, sweatshirts, and pajamas go in the dryer. DH mostly does his own laundry, and he uses the dryer for almost everything except his dress pants and tzitzis. Obviously his suits go to the cleaners. My sons' everyday clothing (except for tzitzis) goes in the dryer unless there are stains that will set, but anything dressy gets air dried. Air drying prevents shrinkage and preserves the clothing better. It dries stiff, so once it is dry I put it in the dryer on no heat to soften up for a few minutes.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry