Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Whats so special about Monsey - so many people moving there?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:31 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Many chassidish are in New City & Haverstraw as well. We looked in to it, and it's very expensive for what you're getting. It's just not worth it for us. Especially if zoning laws don't allow to build multi family homes, so you can't even have a tenant.

I think people that want original Monsey living don’t even want a tenant . I bought my home some that I don’t have to live in such close quarters to other people. Living in a multi family for years was no fun.

thatworn

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:35 am
amother Geranium wrote:
You must be new here. If you are really in Baltimore which I assume you are, ask around about the man who built the chassidish kollel. No need to be alarmed. And he is not so involved now.

And "matron" is my error. I meant PATRON. IE the man who brought them here, built the housing, made the initial rules, etc.

Oh. Patron. LOL LOL LOL
I was really a bit alarmed for awhile.
yes, I really am here in Baltimore! I was just confused about how a matron fit into it.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:36 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
I think people that want original Monsey living don’t even want a tenant . I bought my home some that I don’t have to live in such close quarters to other people. Living in a multi family for years was no fun.

Some people do want a tenant to help cover the cost. Having a tenant, doesn't necessarily mean multi family. You can't even put a tenant in the basement.
I just wanted to point out that New City, Haverstraw.... is not really much cheaper then main Monsey, considering the high taxes, no possibility of a tenant, and older smaller homes.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:37 am
thatworn wrote:
Is Morristown now having a chassidish community? There is a thriving chabad community there with a cheder/school/preschool. Just as expensive as Monsey, but some very large blocks of land.

most areas in tristate are expensive. but its a nice neighborhood with potential. There is already a Shul and Mikvah so get your friends together and move! and leave monsey and lakewood alone, its overcrowded.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:38 am
amother Geranium wrote:
This makes zero sense. There is only one closed playground and that's the one at Bnos. And the school and the family who donated it makes the code to the playground public to anyone who wants it. I've seen the chassidim there before.

The other playgrounds here are all pubic city grounds either from the public school or district. Baltimore is great but we lack public play spaces. So if someone claimed they were sent away, the only place they can be referring to is the kollel (non-chassidish on Labyrinth), which is really for the people who learn and daven there, or the bnos playground.

If you want to go there though, I personally was sent out of the chassidish playground which is open. I was there on shabbos and my kids were behaving. I was told it's only for kollel members. If that was the case, I am certainly not part of the kollel, so we left.

So maybe there are some playgrounds attached to shuls that are only for shul members. I get that. It is kind of rude to send other Yidden away from them, just because they're not members of the shul, but I guess each to his/her own. There are playgrounds at other shuls that seem to be open to the general public, shomrei, bergers, etc. Stick with those, or go to Sudbrook or Meadowbrook parks, or the one on Glen.

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 11:44 am
Although there is a lot of good in Monsey and im grateful for the opportunity to live here. Monsey does not have a normal situation with special education. No schi no center no nothing. Consider that when you think of moving here.

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:03 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
So maybe there are some playgrounds attached to shuls that are only for shul members. I get that. It is kind of rude to send other Yidden away from them, just because they're not members of the shul, but I guess each to his/her own. There are playgrounds at other shuls that seem to be open to the general public, shomrei, bergers, etc. Stick with those, or go to Sudbrook or Meadowbrook parks, or the one on Glen.

I’m assuming that these people who said that they were kicked out of a playground were referring to the private playground in Bancroft Village. That’s the only thing that makes sense in proximity and practicalIty. I lived in Bancroft Village for one year as a renter, and I know how the community protects their private area, and I know how people in the community like to play there. If this is the case, you should tell the people who told you they were kicked out of a playground that it was not because they are chassidish. I am a member of BJSZ And people from our shul Are frequently kicked out of the Bancroft Village playground as well. And that shul is FAR from chassidish. Probably the chassidim Who were asked to leave assumed it was because they chassidim, When really, nobody else is allowed to play their other than the people who live there. It’s a private playground.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 12:26 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Some people do want a tenant to help cover the cost. Having a tenant, doesn't necessarily mean multi family. You can't even put a tenant in the basement.
I just wanted to point out that New City, Haverstraw.... is not really much cheaper then main Monsey, considering the high taxes, no possibility of a tenant, and older smaller homes.

You keep repeating that you don’t know why people would want to move to monsey when there is no possibility of a tenant… have you ever considered that that may be precisely WHY so many people are moving to the newer areas of Monsey like Haverstraw, New City etc.??

We’ve all seen what “frum” zoning laws have done to main monsey and Lakewood. No thank you! Give me my private, updated 5 bedroom house with a pool on a half acre for $850k thank you very much and leave your basement tenants out of it LOL

And PSA to all new residents of the new monsey outskirts, don’t ever vote in someone frum unless you want to become the beautiful new Lakewood!

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:11 pm
Quote:
I don't know. But chassidish families were literally sent away from the playground by non chassidish....
I don't know the politics involved, but this is something to think about for chassidish families that are thinking about moving.

This is SO NOT BALTIMORE mentality. It must have been one obnoxious person/family. I live near Kehal Chasidim. I've been in their playground (I'm not chasidish). We were never kicked out. Half of Menlo is not chasidish and hangs out there shabbos afternoon when the weather is nice. All the litvish and chasidish women shmooze while the kids all play TOGETHER. Shabbos bnos is hosted in one of kehal chasidim's mosdos/sites---for the whole neighborhood. I've been in the Bnos Yisroel playground on shabbos, where the chasidish kids are welcome and come play.

So I really feel bad if they don't feel part of the community and felt they had to leave, because Baltimore is just that--a community. Everyone accepts everyone.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:15 pm
The idea of moving to Lakewood with all the peer pressure raising kids was too scary for us, so we moved to Monsey.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:15 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
You keep repeating that you don’t know why people would want to move to monsey when there is no possibility of a tenant… have you ever considered that that may be precisely WHY so many people are moving to the newer areas of Monsey like Haverstraw, New City etc.??

We’ve all seen what “frum” zoning laws have done to main monsey and Lakewood. No thank you! Give me my private, updated 5 bedroom house with a pool on a half acre for $850k thank you very much and leave your basement tenants out of it LOL

And PSA to all new residents of the new monsey outskirts, don’t ever vote in someone frum unless you want to become the beautiful new Lakewood!

I understand. The point I'm trying to make, is that it's not necessarily cheaper as main Monsey. Someone said it's cheaper & I'm trying to point out that it's not much cheaper.

amother
Springgreen

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:16 pm
Also those who said chasidim are leaving Baltimore due to lack of chinuch. The schools go up a grade every year. They started with just preschool and add a grade as the kids get older. I think they have 11/12 year olds for boys now and a year or 2 younger for girls. If they found there wasn't chinuch, then their kids are older the ages when they came. Those that came with older kids to start send their kids to the local non-chasidish mosdos.

The chasidish schools were originally exclusively for the chasidim when they started. As the chasidish community is small, the schools are too. The recently (over the last few years) started allowing non-chasidish families to join. I know a couple non-chasidish families who send and love it.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Aqua wrote:

Too late . Chestnut Ridge and Airmont is already run by frum people

amother
Heather

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 3:48 pm
amother Aqua wrote:

Where exactly are you buying this updated five bedroom house on half an acre with a pool For 850?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 4:18 pm
thatworn wrote:
I can not find a dentist in Baltimore taking new patients. I walked into refua at 10 one night and had a filling done on the spot.
I can not find a doctor's office in Baltimore office taking new patients (adult). I found it much easier to use Refua and Monsey Medical, who generally seem to have appointments available relatively quickly. I have waited 3 hours at walk in clinics in Baltimore, for adults, for children.
I assume there are plenty of doctors and dentists taking new patients, but I have spent quite a time on the phone trying to find adult healthcare here and was not successful.
It was extremely difficult to find a pediatrician's office here taking new patients but BH we found a very good doctor working for a practice that has very difficult hours.

I can not take children for doctor or dentist well checks on Sundays here. In Monsey I could probably even have sick visits on Sundays.

This is just my experience.
I feel that, overall, Baltimore has a very very high quality of life (apart from the crime, of course) but one down side I have found is healthcare is not as accessible.

It depends on your insurance because Baltimore is not considered a medical desert as there are ample doctors and dentists.

However if you are relying on Medicaid, then there might be issues as I was shocked to learn that there are ample Medicaid medical practitioners in frum areas because in most of the country they are very scarce because of low reimbursement levels.

As to doctor's offices, most doctors in the USA don't have any hours on the weekend - nor Saturday or Sunday. They generally refer patients to Urgent Care if they need to see a doctor on the weekend and most parents figure out a way to get children to their appointments during the week.

I think the frum bubbles of Monsey, Lakewood and Brooklyn have very distinctive characteristics in a lot of ways.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 4:38 pm
amother Heather wrote:
Where exactly are you buying this updated five bedroom house on half an acre with a pool For 850?

New city

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 4:39 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Too late . Chestnut Ridge and Airmont is already run by frum people

Are they really? I didn’t know. What positions were they voted in for? Litvish or chassidish?

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 4:52 pm
amother Ginger wrote:
The idea of moving to Lakewood with all the peer pressure raising kids was too scary for us, so we moved to Monsey.

Yea this is a huge reason that people are drawn to Monsey. Way less social pressure and more room for individuality.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Are they really? I didn’t know. What positions were they voted in for? Litvish or chassidish?

Deputy Mayor and Trustees . I believe mostly Chasidish .

amother
Pansy

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:03 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
I don't know. But chassidish families were literally sent away from the playground by non chassidish....
I don't know the politics involved, but this is something to think about for chassidish families that are thinking about moving.

I live in Baltimore and as other posters wrote this would not happen here. Children in Baltimore are brought up with the understanding that Jews come in all types and stripes. They know their family's hashkafos, they know who they can closely befriend and who not, but they know from the start not to roll eyes or snub others who are frummer or not as frum as you. My kids are in school all day with chasidish kids all the way to modern. It is normal for them to see someone different than them and I really can't imagine anyone in Baltimore doing that. Maybe their kids were doing something dangerous and someone asked them to leave and they took it the wrong way??

We are litvish (and I grow up in Monsey:))) and we are so happy to have chasidim here. I don't treat them like they are animals in the zoo and walk over to them in the stores asking them all about their brand of chasidus, welcoming them to Baltimore (for all I know they lived here for five years already and I'll just look slow) and staring at them. Sorry, that's socially off. Baltimore is too big to know who's new and who's not. That doesn't mean we're not happy that Baltimore is finally leaning a little more heimish and moving away from the "purely Litvish/ yekkish past. So if you don't want to consider Monsey for whatever reason, we are happy to have you here, really!!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating