Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Whats so special about Monsey - so many people moving there?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:21 pm
I am born and raised in monsey and live here now. I love in one of the "newer" areas. Monsey is beautiful and has less peer pressure than Lakewood. Lakewood is much fancier at this point and a lot more keeping up with the jonses. Monsey is very relaxed and nice. Main Monsey is much more congested and I barely go there. It's beautiful to have a private house on almost an acre of property.
People move from Brooklyn because they don't like the city. They want to bring up their kids in the suburbs.
Monsey has gotten VERY VERY expensive. It's NOT like it used to be. There is VERY little inventory and therefore it's harder to find homes an away more expensive than it used to be. You can't really find a home in a normal price range. The house I bought for 500k 8 years ago can sell easily now for 1.3 at least.

thatworn

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 5:24 pm
amother Powderblue wrote:
It depends on your insurance because Baltimore is not considered a medical desert as there are ample doctors and dentists.

However if you are relying on Medicaid, then there might be issues as I was shocked to learn that there are ample Medicaid medical practitioners in frum areas because in most of the country they are very scarce because of low reimbursement levels.

As to doctor's offices, most doctors in the USA don't have any hours on the weekend - nor Saturday or Sunday. They generally refer patients to Urgent Care if they need to see a doctor on the weekend and most parents figure out a way to get children to their appointments during the week.

I think the frum bubbles of Monsey, Lakewood and Brooklyn have very distinctive characteristics in a lot of ways.

Exactly. The healthcare situation in Monsey is the one thing I really miss. I understand that in most areas practitioners are not open such convenient hours. I do not find the level of care in Baltimore to be different, but I do find the convenience factor to be very very different.
I understand the scarcity of medicaid practitioners in certain communities also. I lived in a smaller Jewish community in an extremely prosperous county at some stage and the only medicaid doctors were ones in very scary clinics, as no regular practices accepted medicaid.

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 6:54 pm
What lawsuit happened in Baltimore with the Chasidim?

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:06 pm
I’m chassidish but chilled? Not sure how to type myself. Most people my style are opting for Lakewood over Monsey but I would choose the outskirts of Monsey.
1. Schools suck in both places
2. I have much more family and am more familiar with Monsey.
3. I’m from bp and I love the culture here compared to Monsey AND Lakewood but I would prefer the Monsey culture over Lakewood’s. IMO Monsey is a bit less into fancy clothes etc. Monsey REALLY has all walks of life

amother
Bluebell

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:10 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
most areas in tristate are expensive. but its a nice neighborhood with potential. There is already a Shul and Mikvah so get your friends together and move! and leave monsey and lakewood alone, its overcrowded.

Morristown is beautiful but I wouldn't have where to send the kids.

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 7:49 pm
amother Bluebell wrote:
Morristown is beautiful but I wouldn't have where to send the kids.

Cheder Chabad in Morristown would not take your children? Or you do not want to send them there? Think twice if you think it is too frei for you. Most families are extremely frum there. MOst people live within walking distance and I think they may even have busses.

amother
Chicory

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:22 pm
Im litvish and I fell in love with Haverstraw. The houses are spread apart, properties are big and grassy and the mountains are in the background, making it a scenic place to live. We are still in Brooklyn due to our jobs but hope to move in the next year.. my only hesitation is the school system. I hear it’s really hard to get into an established school (my oldest is 2).

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 8:36 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
Im litvish and I fell in love with Haverstraw. The houses are spread apart, properties are big and grassy and the mountains are in the background, making it a scenic place to live. We are still in Brooklyn due to our jobs but hope to move in the next year.. my only hesitation is the school system. I hear it’s really hard to get into an established school (my oldest is 2).

So interesting! I find haverstraw nice but we always say houses are wayyy to close together and properties are tiny compared to other places. I have three siblings there and they all have way smaller properties than mine like half the size and when we go for shabbos I feel like the next house is on top of us. lol

I have another sibling who opted to buy in another neighborhood because he wanted a bigger yard than the houses there offered.

Regarding the school system, it's an issue but there are a couple new schools that opened in last few years and opening next year and your child is young still.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Feb 08 2024, 9:11 pm
Who's hoping with me that the stony point flourishes for the litvish community?
Some of their beautiful houses are decently priced with spacious backyards and property. And it's not far from evergreen uptown

Eta: many houses also have basement that can be set up as apartments. Check them out on zillow

amother
Hosta

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 12:27 am
amother Emerald wrote:
Who's hoping with me that the stony point flourishes for the litvish community?
Some of their beautiful houses are decently priced with spacious backyards and property. And it's not far from evergreen uptown

Eta: many houses also have basement that can be set up as apartments. Check them out on zillow

It is not taking off for the mainstream litvish working crowd. It’s very spread apart so it doesn’t have a neighborhood feel.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 12:35 am
amother Narcissus wrote:
What lawsuit happened in Baltimore with the Chasidim?

No, not like this. Not between the chassidim and the city chas v’shalom! The patron wanted to buy land to build the shul. A house was on the land and the owner refused to sell. The patron took the owner to court, it was a very public situation. I wont go more into it here.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 12:38 am
amother Hosta wrote:
It is not taking off for the mainstream litvish working crowd. It’s very spread apart so it doesn’t have a neighborhood feel.

It's also extremely hilly & hard to walk to places. Every house is basically on a hill.

amother
Emerald

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:08 am
amother Hosta wrote:

Some areas are closer together than others...

amother
Chicory

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:20 am
amother Stonewash wrote:
So interesting! I find haverstraw nice but we always say houses are wayyy to close together and properties are tiny compared to other places. I have three siblings there and they all have way smaller properties than mine like half the size and when we go for shabbos I feel like the next house is on top of us. lol

I have another sibling who opted to buy in another neighborhood because he wanted a bigger yard than the houses there offered.

Regarding the school system, it's an issue but there are a couple new schools that opened in last few years and opening next year and your child is young still.

Where do you live?
I found the houses to be a good distance between each other in haverstraw- far enough for space and privacy but close enough to feel like you have neighbors. Otherwise, I’d move to a farm!

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 2:09 am
For healthcare in Baltimore-we have a bunch of NPs who work all hours from their houses. You can go to one any hour of the day or night. Some take insurance. Very personalized care.

Litvish send to the Chassidish schools and love it. Chassidim send to BY and TI and love it. There’s also Lubavitch which is another whole community within the community woth their own schools and yeshivas and mikvah and everything. Including a building designed to look like 770.

Baltimore is a very mixed community. Now it’s huge and you don’t know everyone. We have everything we need (but I’d love it if Bingo would open up!!!!) and the communities all work together.

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 7:47 am
amother Chicory wrote:
Where do you live?
I found the houses to be a good distance between each other in haverstraw- far enough for space and privacy but close enough to feel like you have neighbors. Otherwise, I’d move to a farm!

I'm in new city.

amother
Springgreen

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 10:26 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
For healthcare in Baltimore-we have a bunch of NPs who work all hours from their houses. You can go to one any hour of the day or night. Some take insurance. Very personalized care.

Litvish send to the Chassidish schools and love it. Chassidim send to BY and TI and love it. There’s also Lubavitch which is another whole community within the community woth their own schools and yeshivas and mikvah and everything. Including a building designed to look like 770.

Baltimore is a very mixed community. Now it’s huge and you don’t know everyone. We have everything we need (but I’d love it if Bingo would open up!!!!) and the communities all work together.

There are also Chassidish from kehal chasidim in Bnos and YTS, and not from the kollel in TA. Not just BY and TI

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 12:43 pm
thatworn wrote:
Baltimore has a growing chassidish community with mosdos. Not as much traffic as monsey. Sidewalks so that children can ride bikes, scooters, etc and not be in the street with the crazy drivers and speeding school buses. Therapies on insurance, rather than through school district (although I think Kidsfirst and the like are making it easier to get therapies on insurance).
Healthcare is not as accessible here. NO Refua or Ezras Choilim.
NO school buses here, but most of the Chassidish live in close proximity of school and anyway some women seem to be getting permission to drive here, for certain reasons.
Back to original question: I think people move to MOnsey as it is closer to Brooklyn. Larger houses and yards at a lower price (although prices are very high in Monsey). HOwever, as so many people move there, it seems very spread out and you could be living within something of a 5 mile radius of other children in your children's classes. Bus routes can be very long. If you want to walk to the store, forget it. You would need to live in Central monsey for that and it is probably nigh on impossible to find housing easily there, unless you want a cramped apartment, and wouldn't you just stay in a cramped apartment in Brooklyn if that is what you're going to end up with in Monsey?
If you want a large house and backyard, neighbors kind of close by, not necessarily from your child's school, a lot more privacy, and still want Jewish facilities, you'd probably choose Monsey over Brooklyn.
There's a lot of anti semitism in Monsey. I hear there is also in Lakewood. But I really know nothing about Lakewood.
It is not as bad in Baltimore.
Also in Baltimore, there is more of an attitude of being Jewish, rather than being Chassidish, Litvish, MO, whatever whatever. What you would think of as freier Yid might well have a Sukka on his deck on Sukkos. Lines are blurred. A child with a chup and jeans can still well be in a Yarmulke and Tzitzis, a girl with no tights might well still have a skirt over her knees and sleeves over her elbows, not off the derech, neboch, what is wrong with that family type of child. So take that as a good thing or a bad thing, if you are a chossid considering Baltimore.

Just for clarity. Most Chassidish women do not need permission to drive. 60% if not more, of Monsey Chassidish women, don't drive because the schools made a rule out of it. That's all. Nothing bout permission or Halacha.
My family is Chassidish and the women drive based on which schools the kids go to.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 12:48 pm
amother Springgreen wrote:
There are also Chassidish from kehal chasidim in Bnos and YTS, and not from the kollel in TA. Not just BY and TI

And this is the best part of Baltimore. You send your kid to the best school for them. You don't force your kids into a "type" here. We are chassidish, not in the kollel, and my boys go to TA. There are other chassidish kids there too, just a small number but they are there.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 09 2024, 1:30 pm
amother Heather wrote:
Where exactly are you buying this updated five bedroom house on half an acre with a pool For 850?

We have been looking on the outskirts of Monsey for sometime now, and for 850k you can get a dilapidated bi-level in a frum neighborhood (with property taxes close to 20k) or a nicer house that may need just some updating but is not in a frum neighborhood (think a 2 mile walk in the dark for your DH on Friday night). Not such a מציאה at all...
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating