Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Encopresis- new ideas??
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:15 pm
My relative had stomach pain for years, did every test including colonoscopy and endoscopy and the diagnosis was Pinworms ( had no symptoms).

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:20 pm
amother Orange wrote:
That must be tough!
I really think you should give treating for pinworms a shot. Reese’s is just 2 doses of 1 tsp each. Once on day one and again 10-14 days later.

Even if that likely won't be the end of it because these kids tend to get reinfected easily, at least you'll know why it happens and avoid the hospital clean out.

You also said your daughter wakes up and has #1 accidents so she's possibly also infected. Is she the one right after your 6 yo ds? Do you have more toilet trained kids or only these 2?

Shabbos was rosh chodesh. That's often a time in which pinworm symptoms worsen. Did you see any worsening since thu/fri?

How quicllkly would you expect to see results? Like how would I know if it was worms?

My daughter also has loose stools not constipation but crazy behavioral and was toilet trained for over a year and just has these random accidents, doesn’t like to pee.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
My relative had stomach pain for years, did every test including colonoscopy and endoscopy and the diagnosis was Pinworms ( had no symptoms).

Interesting my ds has no pain though

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:32 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Parasites can go undetected for years

Don’t they eventually cause problems?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 8:43 pm
amother Canary wrote:
How quicllkly would you expect to see results? Like how would I know if it was worms?

My daughter also has loose stools not constipation but crazy behavioral and was toilet trained for over a year and just has these random accidents, doesn’t like to pee.

Pretty much right away. I'd say a few days, max a week. If not properly treated symptoms will return within 2 weeks (the time ot takes for the the eggs to hatch - which is why reesesis taken in 2 doses.)

Behavioral symptoms I see in my kids are chewing on clothing and stuff, general aggressiveness/fighting/wilder than usual. When I once let it go too long ds got a tic. Was really scary then someone here mentioned it could be from pinworms - I treated and it disappeared.

amother
Canary

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:07 pm
amother Orange wrote:
Pretty much right away. I'd say a few days, max a week. If not properly treated symptoms will return within 2 weeks (the time ot takes for the the eggs to hatch - which is why reesesis taken in 2 doses.)

Behavioral symptoms I see in my kids are chewing on clothing and stuff, general aggressiveness/fighting/wilder than usual. When I once let it go too long ds got a tic. Was really scary then someone here mentioned it could be from pinworms - I treated and it disappeared.

Hm. My daughter started chewing on her clothing also. I’m iyh going to try treating and update. Which route do you recommend to start with?

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Don’t they eventually cause problems?
You're already having problems Wink

Fwiw I don't think parasites are your only cause, but I think they can be a piece. Saying this because I don't want to give you false hope that this treatment will make the whole thing disappear. You likely have more than one thing going on.

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:21 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Hm. My daughter started chewing on her clothing also. I’m iyh going to try treating and update. Which route do you recommend to start with?

If you want instant do Reese’s. Minimum is 2 doses 2 weeks apart, one from the next. some recommend more than that.
Zahler's Paraguard is also good - but that's twice a day for 30 days.

The difficulty with pinworms is that they're easily reinfected. I haven't found a perfect solution for maintenance yet.
I'm planning to try a bioray supplement someone on here recommended.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:37 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
You're already having problems Wink

Fwiw I don't think parasites are your only cause, but I think they can be a piece. Saying this because I don't want to give you false hope that this treatment will make the whole thing disappear. You likely have more than one thing going on.

It doesn’t make sense to me that there can be parasites for 3 years with no one else catching it and no symptoms…

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
It doesn’t make sense to me that there can be parasites for 3 years with no one else catching it and no symptoms…
Constipation *is* a symptom

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:47 pm
amother Begonia wrote:
Constipation *is* a symptom

Right I got that. I’m still not convinced. Is there a way the doctor can check?

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Feb 12 2024, 9:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right I got that. I’m still not convinced. Is there a way the doctor can check?
You can run a stool test but they're notoriously inaccurate when it comes to parasites. A functional stool analysis is more sensitive but can also miss them. Most if not all of us have parasites... it really simplest to just treat.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:25 am
amother OP wrote:
We’ve tried dairy didn’t seem to help much and it’s hard for a little kid. If I knew it worked I would do it. Same with gluten.

Is it the sugar causing the issue? We wanted to test but he’s super stubborn, refuses the drink.

We do probiotics (well I try he’s very stubborn about taking anything).

What are ferments?

Doing magnesium daily.

I don’t know about digestive enzymes, but again he is super stubborn about any meds. Is there something easy to take?

Epsom salt foot soaks- haven’t tried that yet

What do you mean “try yeast overgrowth and parasites?” How do I try?

look, my dd is the same way. I took her to a functional doctor but she absolutely refuses to follow the protocol. So that's money and time down the drain. If your kid isn't going to cooperate I'm not convinced functional doctor is the way to go.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 2:28 am
I'm going through the same thing. We have to do miralax clean out every three months then he has exlax. But , it always comes back. He also wets himself when he's backed up. It's so hard and I get so depressed bc of it. He has almost no dairy and only eats whole wheat . I've looked into it and many kids just refill after an oral clean out. The only way is daily enemas, which my son won't do. If your son will, I would look into MOP. It's worth getting the book bc it explains what's going on. You can get it from amazon it's by Steve Hodge.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:42 am
amother Pansy wrote:
I'm going through the same thing. We have to do miralax clean out every three months then he has exlax. But , it always comes back. He also wets himself when he's backed up. It's so hard and I get so depressed bc of it. He has almost no dairy and only eats whole wheat . I've looked into it and many kids just refill after an oral clean out. The only way is daily enemas, which my son won't do. If your son will, I would look into MOP. It's worth getting the book bc it explains what's going on. You can get it from amazon it's by Steve Hodge.
Wow this makes me feel better, though I’m sorry you’re going through this too. It’s so so hard.
Ya we’ve tried mop. DS won’t do enemas. And the few times we have done then it’s been very little output. At this point, He will let here and there on occasion but for sure not daily

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:01 am
There is a very real psychological aspect to it. Have you tried play therapy?
My son had it and play therapy helped.

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:06 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow this makes me feel better, though I’m sorry you’re going through this too. It’s so so hard.
Ya we’ve tried mop. DS won’t do enemas. And the few times we have done then it’s been very little output. At this point, He will let here and there on occasion but for sure not daily

My son sounds very similar to yours, I have to cry and beg him to do the miralax clean out. I've come to the conclusion that just davening is going to help. What's your son's Hebrew name I will daven for him.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:42 am
amother Pansy wrote:
My son sounds very similar to yours, I have to cry and beg him to do the miralax clean out. I've come to the conclusion that just davening is going to help. What's your son's Hebrew name I will daven for him.

I don’t want to post publicly but I would love to daven for your son as well.

And I agree with this btw. I used to try to control control control but I have to give control up to Hashem

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 8:10 am
amother Junglegreen wrote:
There is a very real psychological aspect to it. Have you tried play therapy?
My son had it and play therapy helped.

We tried therapy once they work in conjunction with our doc office. But honestly it’s another thing to go to and I don’t have the time it didn’t seem like it would help that much

amother
Clear

Post Tue, Feb 13 2024, 5:59 pm
I have a son who had encopresis. It was truly awful. We did home cleanouts and a hospital cleanout. We tried eliminating foods,... Basically, we tried it all. The only thing that worked was a device called a Peristeen. I believe that it originated in England. It is like an enema but it goes further upstream so it works much better. After using it for several months (maybe 8-9 months, not sure), he was able to control his bowel movements and we haven't had an issue since then. I thank Hashem that He sent us a refuah!

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 13 2024, 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics