Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where to move? aliya or usa
Previous  1  2  3  Next

salt

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:15 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
How old are you children? For children it’s brutal to move to Israel. It’s a huge cultural shock and The Israeli kids will eat them alive. There are a lot of American kids that go of the derech in Israel.

Not if you move somewhere where they are used to absorbing olim.

That's so pessimistic and defeatist - so many kids of all ages thrive here after aliya, and yes, for some its difficult.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 6:16 am
Please don't take this the wrong way, but why can't you look into other employment options besides teaching? At least one of you...
It is possible to get a remote job for American companies that will pay much much more than you could ever make through teaching.
I know teaching is super fulfilling, I've been there myself, but living in EY comes with sacrifices, and one of those sacrifices might be working at a job that you didn't imagine yourself doing previously. That is something you would need to consider if you decide to move here.

LovesHashem

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:03 am
amother Firethorn wrote:
How old are you children? For children it’s brutal to move to Israel. It’s a huge cultural shock and The Israeli kids will eat them alive. There are a lot of American kids that go of the derech in Israel.

Plenty of kids go off the derech in the USA. There's no numbers suggesting it's more in Israel

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:11 am
amother Firethorn wrote:

Israeli kids do not eat American children alive. This is such a fear mongering post.
There are no statistics that kids who make aliyah go off the derech any more than kids in the US.

OP, there are many places in Israel which can be a soft landing.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 7:18 am
amother Firethorn wrote:

This is so false. Please don't go around saying such statements about EY! My family moved to an EXTREMELY Israeli area. Where there were actually no Americans and its all Israeli. A big town... my kids were given the warmest welcome in school and are cherished by their teachers and friends.

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:35 am
If you move to Israel, you may want to explore adjacent careers (teaching at a seminary, for example). Or you may want to pivot to a different field altogether.

If this is something you are exploring in earnest, reach out to NbN, to candidate communities, etc. Find people on LinkedIn and start making contacts. The more you expand your network, the better your chances of stumbling upon a solution.

rockinmom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:41 am
Our kids vary in ages from 2-9 (not so young anymore).
My husband is open to a different Job but wouldn't know where to begin. If you have connections with teachers in English schools in Israel please reach out.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:43 am
So much fear mongering.

We moved with all ages dc. I found a job the week before we came. My dh was out of work for a total of 5 days until he found his next job. I’ve come across thousands of olim, for the most part we’re all paying our bills with some with more and some with less ease. My dc were actually struggling more with some bullying from anglos, the Israelis accepted them immediately. My dc all adapted, they speak fluently and they’re all happy. None are questioning Hashem.

There are so many of us, ignore the naysayers but plan carefully.

I strongly advise moving. Hashem is saying lech licha. Don’t invest more in the states because you’ll all be coming home very soon one way or another.

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 8:57 am
rockinmom wrote:
Our kids vary in ages from 2-9 (not so young anymore).
My husband is open to a different Job but wouldn't know where to begin. If you have connections with teachers in English schools in Israel please reach out.

These are English speaking schools
https://www.yta.org.il/
https://www.yta.org.il/girls/
https://www.ulpanatorly.com/
https://www.ohrmosheisrael.com/

As said above, look into all the seminaries, as well.

Other schools may hire you even if you're not completely fluent in Hebrew. My DD has a teacher who is an olah chadasha and DD said the kids help her with Hebrew all the time.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:14 am
Other reasons: practically free school, practically free health care.

Kodesh reasons: it's Eretz Israel. You can do mitzvot there that you can't do here. Everyone, even the non religious person in Israel is following our calendar. Chagim are naturally off.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:49 am
We are hoping to make aliyah too and the finances are scary and overwhelming. That being said with two parents in education and having children, aren't the costs of tuition crushing? Small out of town communities from my understanding are usually more expensive for tuition unless you can get it for free.
Moving to Israel is hard. If it was easy wouldn't everyone do it?

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:00 am
justforfun87 wrote:

Moving to Israel is hard. If it was easy wouldn't everyone do it?

You'd be surprised.

justforfun87

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:25 am
DrMom wrote:
You'd be surprised.

Surprised how hard it is or surprised how not many would go?

DrMom

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:25 am
justforfun87 wrote:
Surprised how hard it is or surprised how not many would go?

The latter.

tichellady

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:32 am
I would not move to Israel unless at least one of you is willing to make a career change

eta14

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 5:02 pm
I have lived in both places for extended periods of time. Bottom line to be successful in aliyah you need to value living in Israel above all else. Things to think about is family support, careers, hebrew, culture...yes plenty of people are successful but it's not easy and in the American community I was living in most people have $$$ from parents....just the reality. In RBS you're paying a million dollars for an apartment these days. Also no offense as someone who taught in Israel (BH I was lucky and my school was very nice to me) the pay is awful. You can't make a real living unless one of you goes into something else or teach as a side thing in addition to another job. My husband is in hi tech so it wasn't an issue for us.

queen-b

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:16 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
This is so false. Please don't go around saying such statements about EY! My family moved to an EXTREMELY Israeli area. Where there were actually no Americans and its all Israeli. A big town... my kids were given the warmest welcome in school and are cherished by their teachers and friends.

Same! Although there are other olim in our out of town area in the north, my kids are the only english speakers in their schools and they also have had the warmest of welcomes. We moved with kids of all ages. Responding to another poster, the Israeli kids will NOT eat up the Americans. With that being said, there are cultural differences in and out of the classroom but in America there were challenges as well.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:04 am
The OU runs a virtual event that gives people a chance to learn more about different Jewish communities.

Here's the page that's up from the last time they had one - I don't know if the information has been updated or not, but the last event was only two years ago, so most of the info there should still be good regardless = https://communities.ou.org/fair

Here's the link to register for this year's upcoming event = https://savitskyfair24.ou.org/en

Hatzlacha!

DrMom

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:51 am
I've heard nice things about Houston (no personal experience though).

I feel like nobody has given the OP any US options...

a2z

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 1:58 am
DrMom wrote:
I've heard nice things about Houston (no personal experience though).

I feel like nobody has given the OP any US options...

Because the Israelis caught her and settled on the thread.
MWAHAHAHAHA LOL LOL LOL
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating