Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Books that changed your life
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Dustypink

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:21 pm
The Feminine Mystique

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:38 pm
Atomic habits

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:38 pm
Morality by Rabbi Jonathon Sacks! Amazing book

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:47 pm
The moon's lost light, by Rebbetzin Devora Fastag
https://www.amazon.com/Moons-L.....78910

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:48 pm
Raising Royalty by Rabbi Avi Fishoff
Holy Woman by Sara Yocheved Rigler

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 7:52 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
anywhere to buy this second hand for cheaper?

I took it out of the public library (Finkelstein).

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:01 pm
amother Blushpink wrote:
anywhere to buy this second hand for cheaper?

If you are in the Monroe area and would like to read it email me. I have a library at home. (Only for my neighborhood really
but will gladly share it.)
It's an amazing book.
Email me @ Lakeshorelibrary322@gmail.com

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:05 pm
I just reserved the Raising a Loving Family book at the Queens library. So apparently it’s there too.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 8:09 pm
Rabbi Akiva Tatz's books
Chovos Halevavos

The Dance of Anger

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:28 pm
amother Sunflower wrote:
I took it out of the public library (Finkelstein).
amother Buttercup wrote:
If you are in the Monroe area and would like to read it email me. I have a library at home. (Only for my neighborhood really
but will gladly share it.)
It's an amazing book.
Email me @ Lakeshorelibrary322@gmail.com
thanks for the idea. I live OOT, but I'll check my local library

Mommyg8

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:50 pm
"The Impact of As Long as I Live" by R Aharon Margalit

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:55 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins
Gave me a push to conquer my laziness.

Oooh can you elaborate

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 10:56 pm
amother Emerald wrote:
Rabbi Akiva Tatz's books
Chovos Halevavos

The Dance of Anger

I have rage what’s the dance of anger about

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 11:29 pm
Awareness

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 11:31 pm
None. I don't read books; I inhale them. I read so many I can't remember the titles and authors, and I certainly don't recall any one book that was life-changing. I might say that the fifty-plus (at least!) books I've read on time management, simplification and organizing have in aggregate made me more efficient and organized. From each book I garnered a useful nugget or two, and I still read such books in hopes of discovering more, but I cannot say that any one book played a make-or-break role. Except maybe Marie Kondo's method of "filing" items of clothing in drawers instead of stacking them. Life-changing? Give me a break. Game-changing? Yes.

amother
Opal

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 11:36 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
Agree about raising a loving family. If someone is looking for one book read this one.

Who's the author?

eta. Oops sorry I see that was answered.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 11:39 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
None. I don't read books; I inhale them. I read so many I can't remember the titles and authors, and I certainly don't recall any one book that was life-changing. I might say that the fifty-plus (at least!) books I've read on time management, simplification and organizing have in aggregate made me more efficient and organized. From each book I garnered a useful nugget or two, and I still read such books in hopes of discovering more, but I cannot say that any one book played a make-or-break role. Except maybe Marie Kondo's method of "filing" items of clothing in drawers instead of stacking them. Life-changing? Give me a break. Game-changing? Yes.

What’s the point of reading if it flies out the window?

amother
Daylily

Post Sun, Feb 18 2024, 11:39 pm
amother Clover wrote:
The last story in “The Bird Song”

I love Meir Uri Gottesman’s books. The Bird Song was the first one I read. Is the last story the one about the angel who had to make the shidduch happen between the rich man’s daughter and the poor rabbi’s son?

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:15 am
Neon green, I didn't say the contents of the book fly out the window. I said I never recall titles and authors. OK, I lied: I almost never recall titles and authors. I absolutely remember the names of Jane Austen's novels and the name of my favorite and most entertaining author of cleaning-and-organizing books.

What's the point of reading if you're going to forget it? Do you remember everything you read? (If yes, I'm impressed, unless it means you read almost nothing. I'm afraid my memory is not on such a level.)
What was the point of anything you learned in school that you forgot? What's the point of schmoozing with a friend if you're not going to have a DMC? What's the point of talking to the person sitting next to you at a simcha or on a plane if you won't remember their name or the conversation? What's the point of sweating the details of your simcha, when a week later no one will remember what they ate, how it was served, or who played what songs? What was the point of dating all those guys whose names you forgot five minutes after you came home from your umpty-umpth first-and-last date? Need I go on?

Furthermore, what's it to you what I read, how, or why?

But wait. Maybe you're one of those chronic hyperbolics who feel that if a little description is good, more is better, and you can never simply appreciate a book but it must be "life-changing." Sorry, I'm stingy with that sort of thing. I don't label things life-changing unless they really changed my life. If they taught me something, if they were exceptionally well-written or entertaining or useful, or showed remarkable scholarship, or impressed me in any way, I'll say so. What I won't do is cheapen the expression "life-changing" by applying it to a book that did not literally change my life.

There is one book that did literally change my life, though I never read it: my mother's US passport that admitted me to this country as a baby.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Feb 19 2024, 12:23 am
How to keep house while drowning by KC Davis.

Your awesome Self by shternie Ginsberg

The care and feeding of husbands by Laura shleisinger. Saved my marriage, I needed a real potch in punim my first year of marriage.
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room