Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you clear your table at a pizza place?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:54 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Plenty of pizza places have waiters.

Name three.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
No it’s not. What an absurd comparison.

I disagree. It's an EXCELLENT comparison. Either way it's your...uh...waste...that you're leaving for others to clean up.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 1:10 pm
zaq wrote:
Name three.

I'm not the person you challenged, but to be that person, there are places where I live that sell pizza with waiters, but they are "tablecloth restaurants", not "pizza places". I'll bet a dollar the people who say there are places with waiters, they are either referring to a nicer sit down place and not fast food, OR they are referring to a place by me, total sticky floor fast food and you have to go up and get your order BUT if you order a whole pie, they do bring it to you because the pan is hot (but not the fries, drinks, pasta, etc). Still, there are trash cans and trays - ie you are expected to clear after yourself. But I think there are people in this thread who are splitting hairs to defend leaving a mess behind.

kenz

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 3:40 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
From my observations, it seems like clearing the table wasn't expected in Brooklyn, but yes everywhere else. There was staff clearing and cleaning the tables all the time. Brooklyn people started moving elsewhere and took their norms with them.
I live in Lakewood and always clear my trays, as do a lot of other people. When I go with Brooklyn bred people, they say we aren't supposed to.

Please correct me if I am wrong in my generalization. I am not trying to bash, just a reflection of an previous out of towner, now in towner.

Absolutely not and nice way “not to generalize.” Brooklynites are brought up with manners too.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 3:57 pm
watergirl wrote:
I'm not the person you challenged, but to be that person, there are places where I live that sell pizza with waiters, but they are "tablecloth restaurants", not "pizza places". I'll bet a dollar the people who say there are places with waiters, they are either referring to a nicer sit down place and not fast food, OR they are referring to a place by me, total sticky floor fast food and you have to go up and get your order BUT if you order a whole pie, they do bring it to you because the pan is hot (but not the fries, drinks, pasta, etc). Still, there are trash cans and trays - ie you are expected to clear after yourself. But I think there are people in this thread who are splitting hairs to defend leaving a mess behind.

This

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 4:02 pm
watergirl wrote:

There are some very expensive Italian restaurants that serve pizza along with other entrees. They are sit down with waiters and not the kind of place where you dash in for a slice or generally bring a brood of children.

They don't have trash cans in the corner and they don't use paper plates to serve - kind of a dead give away they you aren't supposed to throw away the plates LOL

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 4:05 pm
zaq wrote:
I disagree. It's an EXCELLENT comparison. Either way it's your...uh...waste...that you're leaving for others to clean up.

I haven't studied Pizza Place History, but it wouldn't shock me if there were one or two places that didn't want customers to clean up because they have to wipe down the tables and it's easier to tell which one from a distance if the stuff is still on it.

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 4:10 pm
amother Bone wrote:
I grew up in Brooklyn & we always cleared our tables. That's what most people did.

Same. Definitely not a Brooklyn thing.

When I've been to Florida (Boca, Hollywood) the Pizza places are oftentimes waiter service so that's different.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:03 pm
ittsamother wrote:
I personally can't think of any casual pizza place offhand that does.

I can, but none of them are in NY.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 5:24 pm
watergirl wrote:
there are places where I live that sell pizza with waiters, but they are "tablecloth restaurants", not "pizza places".
Exactly.

CPenzias

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:17 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I can, but none of them are in NY.

Umm then they're not the average pizza shop which is what the op was asking about

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 7:43 pm
CPenzias wrote:
Umm then they're not the average pizza shop which is what the op was asking about

Only NY is the average pizza shop? That’s a little egocentric.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:02 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
There are some very expensive Italian restaurants that serve pizza along with other entrees. They are sit down with waiters and not the kind of place where you dash in for a slice or generally bring a brood of children.

They don't have trash cans in the corner and they don't use paper plates to serve - kind of a dead give away they you aren't supposed to throw away the plates LOL

You're basically repeating what watergirl says in her post. People don't typically refer to those places as a "pizza store". They're a tiny bit more formal than a standard fast food joint.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Feb 21 2024, 8:14 pm
Of course I clear my table. I try my best to wipe spills too and pick up garbage that fell if it's within easy reach.
Leaving my mess behind for someone else to clean- not menschlich.
I would be embarrassed to know I left my mess behind. No one wants to come to a dirty table. I certainly don't.

Mother1010

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 9:51 pm
YES! Its the right thing to do.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette